Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:43:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: VPS Squared - Virtual, Powerful, Supported VPSs  (Read 13002 times)
bravetheheat

Activity: 457
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 05:41:06 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 06:13:03 AM by bravetheheat

I have all three cores now?  Shocked proc/cpuinfo shows me three amd cores at 3.86 GHz, and minerd gives me three threads at a full >4 khash each. What's going on? Huh

I believe 1 core is your allocation under full load; cores are split based on who is using them, so when no else is using them, you will receive all three. And, unless you're mining Litecoins, 4 Khash is way too slow, do you mean 4 Mhash?

After some more testing, it turns out that you might be right! Thanks for the clarification.  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MrGaSp (OP)

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 04:32:56 AM

I have all three cores now?  Shocked proc/cpuinfo shows me three amd cores at 3.86 GHz, and minerd gives me three threads at a full >4 khash each. What's going on? Huh

I believe 1 core is your allocation under full load; cores are split based on who is using them, so when no else is using them, you will receive all three. And, unless you're mining Litecoins, 4 Khash is way too slow, do you mean 4 Mhash?

After some more testing, it turns out that you might be right! Thanks for the clarification.  Cheesy

Actually, i goofed when i first set yours up, the cores don't change dynamically.  I set yours to 3 cores like other people Grin .  Under load the server will split the resources evenly between all nodes (Gotta change first post now).  Sorry for the change.  Just the way it seems to be playing out. 

Also I've done some tests, and with him mining at 100% on all 3 cores, shows no slow down for other VPSes, which was one of my concerns.  (aside from fair sharing)

And yes, hes mining LTC.

Once the server is full with 12-24 VPSes, I do plan on upgrading the CPU to some sort of beast, so you should see some major performance upgrade later on.  I'll post about it for sure though, don't expect it for some months.

Glad you two are enjoying it, really, thanks for the comments and posts.    Cheesy
bravetheheat

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 05:14:06 AM

Cheesy Out of curiousity, exactly what CPU and what kind of cooling are you using?
MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 08:17:42 PM

Cheesy Out of curiousity, exactly what CPU and what kind of cooling are you using?

Just a stock cooler, cool enough in the room... LOL Also keeping it clean helps a ton..
rTech

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

Trust but confirm!

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 02:31:51 PM

So basically i could use this service to wath US based online tv series and other stuff that need us based IP?
bravetheheat

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 04:09:34 PM

So basically i could use this service to wath US based online tv series and other stuff that need us based IP?

Yes, but it would require some setup. (A VPN setup would be needed. OpenVPN provides an extraordinarily easy to set up and connect "Easy Access" package that you could use. Perfect for newbies like me  Wink)
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 06:03:45 PM

My review of Mr. Gasp's Cheap VPS Hosting:

Customer Service:
First of all, I must note the absolutely phenomenal customer service provided by Mr. Gasp. For a VPS I paid ~.15 BTC for, he set it up quickly and correctly, answered my queries within ~15 minutes generally, and reinstalled a different OS (for free) when I was for some odd and still undetermined reason unable to SSH in. He was professional, courteous, and helpful throughout the entire process.

Hardware Info (all for "That One" VPS):
HDD:

CPU:

(x3, 3 cores)
Network:

Customer service is excellent, specs are unmatched for the price, network is moderately fast and unmetered. I would definitely recommend this VPS.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 06:18:38 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2012, 06:43:12 PM by MrGaSp

Firstly,
Anyone want to help me with a name for the VPS?  Kinda...lacking one, and I've always been bad at this.

Yes, but it would require some setup. (A VPN setup would be needed. OpenVPN provides an extraordinarily easy to set up and connect "Easy Access" package that you could use. Perfect for newbies like me  Wink)

I believe that bravetheheat has already answered for me, but as my own word, yes.  Also once in a while it gets recognized as a New York IP address, no clue why.

My review of Mr. Gasp's Cheap VPS Hosting:

I do have to say thank you, and you've been a patient customer.  I also suggest everyone else to do tests at various points in the day, the connection should allow up to 3000kb/s downloads and uploads granted there's 0 net load.

Inside Info
I said i'd post how i keep track of everyone's nodes easy.  This is the simplest way i've found (Names and USD rates are normally filled, removed them to prevent "WTH yours is $0.10 cheaper than mine =O"):

Full Sized: http://www.gasp-site.com/ge/imageuploads/1329071601.png
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 07:31:43 PM

Well, you could make a pun with your forum game... eg "VPS's at Prices you will GASP at!", though that's pretty cheesy.  Tongue

More seriously, the first question you need to ask yourself is what you want the name to symbolize, and that has more to do with your target market than anything. What key feature of your service do you want to push? Price? Unmetered bandwidth? Customer service? You want your name or motto to reflect to at least some degree that feature.

MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 07:35:33 PM

Well, you could make a pun with your forum game... eg "VPS's at Prices you will GASP at!", though that's pretty cheesy.  Tongue

More seriously, the first question you need to ask yourself is what you want the name to symbolize, and that has more to do with your target market than anything. What key feature of your service do you want to push? Price? Unmetered bandwidth? Customer service? You want your name or motto to reflect to at least some degree that feature.

Nice pun....So used to my name, kinda forgot about puns with it.

I'd like to push the Price mainly, and Customer Service, but for names, I've thought of this as the first thing in my head type thought:
Null-Pocket-Burning VPS
(just now) NPB VPS ?

That's really all I got xD
MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 08:20:02 PM

Just a stock cooler, cool enough in the room... LOL Also keeping it clean helps a ton..

Sorry, didn't see the first part of that  Undecided
Its an AMD Athlon II X3 455, clearly clocked at 3.86GHz

Grin
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 08:50:37 PM

I'd like to push the Price mainly, and Customer Service, but for names, I've thought of this as the first thing in my head type thought:
Null-Pocket-Burning VPS
(just now) NPB VPS ?

I'm not sure what I think about NPB VPS. It's inventive and memorable, but it wouldn't communicate much to a potential customer.

Acronyms generally work well. Two I though of off the top of my head:
VPS Squared - Virtual, Powerful, Supported VPSs
GASP VPS - Generally Awesome Support Provided VPSs

MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:14:54 PM

Null-Pocket-Burning VPS
(just now) NPB VPS ?

I'm not sure what I think about NPB VPS. It's inventive and memorable, but it wouldn't communicate much to a potential customer.

Acronyms generally work well. Two I though of off the top of my head:
VPS Squared - Virtual, Powerful, Supported VPSs
GASP VPS - Generally Awesome Support Provided VPSs

I'm liking "VPS Squared - Virtual, Powerful, Supported VPSs" a lot.  I might change the thread to that name soon  Roll Eyes
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:38:52 PM

let me start off by saying i'm a complete tard when it comes to linux. i talked with MrGaSp about his vps service and he went above and beyond what i expected him to do. He's truly a class act and someone I will proudly stand behind. Thanks for all your help and explaining some basic commands to help me get started!!

MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:56:27 PM

let me start off by saying i'm a complete tard when it comes to linux. i talked with MrGaSp about his vps service and he went above and beyond what i expected him to do. He's truly a class act and someone I will proudly stand behind. Thanks for all your help and explaining some basic commands to help me get started!!

No Problem  Cool

Really loving you guys, all of you have been great too.  Its been a great learning experience for me too.

Theres one client that i feel as if i failed on, he kinda got on my nervs.. I kept my cool, but it was in the early stages when bravetheheat was also trying to get one.  But it took a few days to get everything ready, hardware wise, and he kept asking for a payment address.  I told him i'd give him it when Its running.  I got the server running about 30 minutes after he last messaged me, and I haven't heard back from him in about 3 days... So I am not sure what to think.  As to what the Red line is on my VPS list.  Undecided
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:56:55 PM

I'm liking "VPS Squared - Virtual, Powerful, Supported VPSs" a lot.  I might change the thread to that name soon  Roll Eyes

Glad I could be of service. It was the least I could do for all the assistance you provided.

MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 11:02:13 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2012, 11:48:14 PM by MrGaSp

I'm liking "VPS Squared - Virtual, Powerful, Supported VPSs" a lot.  I might change the thread to that name soon  Roll Eyes

Glad I could be of service. It was the least I could do for all the assistance you provided.

Yea, looking really good on the thread title.

Update: All the miners are currently sitting at 20% / core ( x 3 = 60% cpu) because there's quite a few miners... Its up to you guys, I am guessing eventually when the server gets more miners, you'll stop because there's not too much benefit and then the usage will average out again.  Or you'll get bored and do other things with your node Grin
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 03:55:17 AM

So far so good for me. I got webmin installed. Still trying to figure out domain and port stuff. For reference what is your policy on upgrading plans?

MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 04:20:36 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2012, 04:48:48 AM by MrGaSp

So far so good for me. I got webmin installed. Still trying to figure out domain and port stuff. For reference what is your policy on upgrading plans?

There is no policy, but I am open to talking about it  Roll Eyes

Edit: To explain more, I'll charge you the difference, prorated.  Then expand the drive or RAM.  Please Note, I am unsure if i can reduce the drive size.  As in, if you buy 10 more GB and decide against it later, I am not sure if i'd be able to save the data.

I've made a little chart on my spread sheet as follows

More Ram
512MB   0.40 BTC
1024MB   0.85 BTC
2048MB   1.80 BTC

More Disk
10GB      0.10 BTC

If you want to upgrade to the next plan entirely, that's possible too =)
MrGaSp (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 05:33:51 AM

Updated the first post.  Removed clutter, like that i was going to upgrade the RAM on the 8th.. (already done), and a few other notes that just likely caused some confusion.  Makes it look a lot denser and nicer.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: