Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:03:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEMstake tokens are listed on Nxt asset exchange  (Read 74311 times)
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:43:32 AM

NXT ticked me off by being closed source.

NXT has been open source for a long time now.

Nxt never was really closed source for those who wanted to look, the original java files were unobfuscated code and could be decompiled.

The point was they went out of their way to try and hide.

I hope NEM follows a clear transparent path.

If Nem released the source code immediately, they would be cloned  a few dozen times within a week. Maybe someone will launch it even before Nem is officially launched if the source code is released during alpha/beta.

it's bad idea to release the code before Nem is  at least established as unique new crypto

But the one with the strongest community wins out. NEM already has a strong community. Keeping the source open will build trust and will also allow for others to contribute.

I believe the upsides are much more than any downsides.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:44:09 AM

Nxt never was really closed source for those who wanted to look, the original java files were unobfuscated code and could be decompiled.

They won't. No pure PoS (PoI, whatever) ever did or will be fully open source immediately. It's not possible to do it as with PoW, where the hashrate matters. New PoS coint need, absolutely need some lead time before they are cloned. Without it they would drown in clones.

Bitshares has a fully open source project. They are not scared.

I don't want NEM to follow the same dodgy way as NXT.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:47:41 AM

Bitshares has a fully open source project. They are not scared.

I don't want NEM to follow the same dodgy way as NXT.

"Dodgy way"? LOL looks like we have a jealous individual here!
Eadeqa

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:52:17 AM

If Nem released the source code immediately, they would be cloned  a few dozen times within a week. Maybe someone will launch it even before Nem is officially launched if the source code is released during alpha/beta.

it's bad idea to release the code before Nem is  at least established as unique new crypto

But the one with the strongest community wins out. NEM already has a strong community. Keeping the source open will build trust and will also allow for others to contribute.

I believe the upsides are much more than any downsides.

Funny Nxt released the source code in January and the prices went down for 2 months after that.. Look at Windows OS. 90%+ market share but it's closed source platform. Most people don't care about open source.

Developers and exchanges don't need source code. They need API, which obviously will be available from alpha version.

I am all for open source, but they need to give themselves some breathing room before getting drowned  by clones.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
qora dan

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:50:22 AM

this can only be very a very good thing
xtester

Activity: 840

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:08:42 AM

It's for obvious reasons that NEM source will be kept secret for some time. If POI will be as good as I think, and the next step on the evolutionary scale of crypto, then it will be very big. There are scenarios in which NEM could storm its way into the top as the most trustworthy, innovative and promising altcoin project because of the because of the very promising combination of characteristics it exemplifies.
Daedelus

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:23:26 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 02:40:17 PM by Daedelus

How'd you figure that?  Going out of their way to hide would be to obfuscate the code.
Daedelus

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:26:30 PM

It's for obvious reasons that NEM source will be kept secret for some time. If POI will be as good as I think, and the next step on the evolutionary scale of crypto, then it will be very big.

What do we know about POI?
xtester

Activity: 840

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:37:22 PM

It's for obvious reasons that NEM source will be kept secret for some time. If POI will be as good as I think, and the next step on the evolutionary scale of crypto, then it will be very big.

What do we know about POI?

We know very little, and what we know we cannot disclose for the moment. So I guess the only publicly available info are the educated guesses.
strapon

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:55:14 PM

Please tell me I'm not screwed. Sent lots of NXT to my NXT Wallet...after it didn't show up for a bit I logged out and logged back in. When I logged back in the address was different and it was saying my account was brand new? What happened? So confused. Thanks for your time!
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 04:56:42 PM

Please tell me I'm not screwed. Sent lots of NXT to my NXT Wallet...after it didn't show up for a bit I logged out and logged back in. When I logged back in the address was different and it was saying my account was brand new? What happened? So confused. Thanks for your time!

You have entered a different password.

Did you copy paste your password? then you noted the wrong one.

Try again, and be careful not to add any digits (like space) !

If you wrote down the password wrong, the NXT are most likely lost...

Eadeqa

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:00:11 PM

You are using different password that will result in different account. It can happen when people either mistype their password, or do copy and paste from notepad and end up with extra space at the beginning or the the end. Carefully check if you are entering the password correctly.

Use password manager instead of typing or using notrepad, use  something like https://lastpass.com/

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
strapon

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:05:54 PM

Ahhh now that I'm back in my account (thanks!) I realized I sent the next to the nem asset id instead of my wallet id. Is it wishful thinking that I could ever get this returned. I might suicide today if not!!!
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:12:30 PM

Ahhh now that I'm back in my account (thanks!) I realized I sent the next to the nem asset id instead of my wallet id. Is it wishful thinking that I could ever get this returned. I might suicide today if not!!!

They are lost. Ahhh shit, that is really sad Sad

Eadeqa

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:13:15 PM

Yes, your NXT are lost if you sent them to Nem asset ID. How many Nxt?

Also, use RS address format that starts with Nxt- ... it has error detection and won't let you mistype.

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:15:03 PM

http://www.nxtreporting.com/?a=12465186738101000735&c=USD

Eadeqa

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:19:54 PM

Ouch. That's a lot. Why send that many Nxt to a new account without first verifying everything is working properly? Should have sent 4 Nxt from faucet, tested it by creating alias or something, then sent the rest.

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
strapon

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:21:56 PM

Ouch. That's a lot. Why send that many Nxt to a new account without first verifying everything is working properly? Should have sent 4 Nxt from faucet, tested it by creating alias or something, then sent the rest.

I've sent several to my account before. Just typed the wrong address this time. I'm literally about to vomit.
strapon

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:28:22 PM

There has to be someone somewhere that knows how to get those returned...right? Utopianfuture? Anyone? Pleeeeaaaseee?!?!
Eadeqa

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:41:45 PM

There has to be someone somewhere that knows how to get those returned...right? Utopianfuture? Anyone? Pleeeeaaaseee?!?!

Had you sent it to UP Nxt address that starts with Nxt-, UP would have returned it, but you sent it to numeric asset ID (not account ID) No one controls that account.  

NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 »
  Print  

Jump to: