Print  
Author Topic: Fee  (Read 1878 times)
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:12:48 AM

So Bitcoin is not suitable for micropayments?

It's fine for payments of above something like 10c. Otherwise you'd have a fee that's quite large in proportion to what your sending - however that's to be expected, the network was never designed to handle crap loads of midget payments. In reality I can't think of a reason you'd need to send less than 10c except to gamble but that should be done off-chain to avoid blockchain spam.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:30:11 AM

It's fine for payments of above something like 10c. Otherwise you'd have a fee that's quite large in proportion to what your sending - however that's to be expected, the network was never designed to handle crap loads of midget payments. In reality I can't think of a reason you'd need to send less than 10c except to gamble but that should be done off-chain to avoid blockchain spam.

Pretty much this right here. 10 cents though would come with a fee that (right now) is 5 cents, or 50%. $10 would still be 5 cents. So really it's still a pretty small fee.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
roeylee (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:46:58 AM

Does it matter if I define a fee of 0.00005 or 0.00001? Would both transactions be treated as "no fee" transactions? 
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:54:29 AM

Does it matter if I define a fee of 0.00005 or 0.00001? Would both transactions be treated as "no fee" transactions? 

The fee (I forgot what the lowest is, but I know it was changed) would be present, so no, it wouldn't be a no-fee one. It would just be less of a fee.

No fee would literally be 0. For example, you are sending 1 BTC, that's all. Not 1.0000001, but 1.0.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:28:47 AM

The fee (I forgot what the lowest is, but I know it was changed) would be present, so no, it wouldn't be a no-fee one. It would just be less of a fee.

No fee would literally be 0. For example, you are sending 1 BTC, that's all. Not 1.0000001, but 1.0.

There is a minimum, but I can't remember either.
OP, I have 2 questions for you:
Are you really that concerned about paying a few cents for a transaction? Don't you realize how high bank and credit card fees are?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:31:39 AM

There is a minimum, but I can't remember either.
OP, I have 2 questions for you:
Are you really that concerned about paying a few cents for a transaction? Don't you realize how high bank and credit card fees are?

A lot of people don't realize the high credit card fees because we don't "pay" them (at least not transparently). Items cost more as a result, but most people aren't aware of that.

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:51:30 AM

1 - use web wallets, like coinbase, ask the receiver to use too. Think be too paranoid for few cents is not worth.
2 - send many transactions at once
3 - use altcoins. Litecoin fee is 0.001(about one cent). Others altcoins have lesser fees(ex: Doge, typically 1 doge(about 100 satoshis) for transaction).

You are right, BTC is not good for small transactions, and for me is where ALTS have their space. At this point FIAT be worse is no excuse, if we have have even better options around there for such king of transactions
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:12:18 AM

1 - use web wallets, like coinbase, ask the receiver to use too. Think be too paranoid for few cents is not worth.
3 - use altcoins. Litecoin fee is 0.001(about one cent). Others altcoins have lesser fees(ex: Doge, typically 1 doge(about 100 satoshis) for transaction).

You are right, BTC is not good for small transactions, and for me is where ALTS have their space. At this point FIAT be worse is no excuse, if we have have even better options around there for such king of transactions

If you bundle up transactions, fees will be higher.
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:51:19 AM

i, say, I send 100 0.001 outputs via separate transactions will be the fee higher than send all 100 outputs at once?

For my experience won't be, people with automated systems do that(ex: Ritz, Primedice, that guy that pays you for playing minecraft, etc...).

Of course that send 100 transactions still will be more expensive than send one, no matter if you group them or not.
xXBEVOXx

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:57:25 AM

What Android app allows no fee transactions?
Is it risky? 

Pay the miner 5 cents or wait days for your transaction to process.

Ive seen some transactions without a miner fee take several months to process. Trust me it is worth the $0.05 to get a conformation quickly.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:00:54 AM

The fees only go up because the transaction size does. I think it's around 1 input and like 7-8 outputs per KB or so (don't quote me on that though). So you could:

1) Send 8 people each 0.001 BTC separately and pay 0.0008 BTC in fees (8x0.0001)
2) Send 8 people each 0.001 BTC in one bundle and pay 0.0001 BTC in fees (1x0.0001)

The reason why the pools and such pay bigger fees is because they have tons of outputs, each increasing the size of the transaction. In the above scenario, for the same 0.0008 BTC you spent sending 8 people their own, you could have done 8*8 or 64 people in bundles of 8.

BunsenBurner

Activity: 653

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:02:23 AM

Bitcoin IS suitable for micropayments. But if you mean micropayments as in a tenth of a cent, then no, since no one needs that.
If you pay 1 US Dollar to someone in Australia, he/she would receive like $0.60. If you use Bitcoin, he/she receives $0.96. Electronic Fiat is even worse for micropayments.

If you are trying to make micropayments as small as a few cent, you shouldn't use bitcoin, at least not on-chain tx.

roeylee (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:46:24 AM

If you are trying to make micropayments as small as a few cent, you shouldn't use bitcoin, at least not on-chain tx.

What is "not on-chain tx"?
BunsenBurner

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:51:22 AM

The easiest way is to use coinbase (and ask the receivers to use coinbase as well).
For the details, you can take a look at the page.
http://blog.coinbase.com/post/57483182558/you-can-now-send-micro-transactions-with-zero-fees

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 10:53:42 AM

A TX is considered "not on chain" or "off chain" when its just internal. If you have an account with company X and they hold 3 BTC for you. I have one there as well and want to send you 2 BTC they can just change the BTC in my account by -2 and yours by +2. Just by changing an internal spreadsheet or database. If you now want to transfer 5 BTC from.company X to your private wallet there must be an "on chain" (as in stored on the blockchain) TX.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
roeylee (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:25:30 AM

Off chain is meaning  "Web wallet". Right? And that has its own risk.
BunsenBurner

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:49:02 AM

Off chain is meaning  "Web wallet". Right?

Not really. Indeed, shorena has given you a very good explanation, but let me try again.

Say, if Alice and Bob both have an account on Coinbase, and Alice want to send Bob 1 BTC.
Alice could do so with a open transaction (just like every other transaction you see in the blockchain).
Or, Alice could do a off-chain transaction on Coinbase (Alice's account balance decreases by 1 BTC, Bob's account balance increases by 1 BTC, no actual bitcoin transaction is created, and the whole transaction can be done instantly and internally within Coinbase system).

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:25:23 PM

Pretty much this right here. 10 cents though would come with a fee that (right now) is 5 cents, or 50%. $10 would still be 5 cents. So really it's still a pretty small fee.

Just out of reference, with the newest implementation fees should drop to 0.5c so it basically means that txs are pretty damn cheap.

Off chain is meaning  "Web wallet". Right? And that has its own risk.

In a sense it is a web wallet. Anyone who has control over a private key with Bitcoin associated with the public address are in control over those coins as well so unless you have the private key there is also a risk someone will steal those coins. You won't be able to avoid off-chain transactions (pretty common for gambling) but you can minimise the amount you have there (ie don't put everything you on onto JD).
roeylee (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:45:16 PM

Just out of reference, with the newest implementation fees should drop to 0.5c so it basically means that txs are pretty damn cheap.

Please explain
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:32:45 PM

In theory, you're correct. The problem is that a lot of the miners and pools are still using older versions of the Bitcoin client. There was a thread about this, saying that like 70% of them still haven't upgraded in like a year or so and so are far behind as it is. On top of this, the miners/pools can apparently set their own requirements for fees and decline transactions that don't match what they want.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: