Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:01:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If Bitstamp(and others) should shut down for the time of the investigation, how far will we drop?
50-80$ - 12 (25.5%)
81-106$ - 1 (2.1%)
107-151$ - 4 (8.5%)
152-251$ - 7 (14.9%)
ZER0000000 - 14 (29.8%)
1-50$ - 3 (6.4%)
0.00000001-0.99$ - 6 (12.8%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Major western Bitcoin exchanges about to be investigated and probably SHUTDOWN  (Read 4637 times)
jofus

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:08:59 PM

What exchanges other than coinbase are physically operating in the US?

The FBI doesn't have a shred of jurisdiction outside this country...

The US shut down the 3 big poker sites and froze all of their assets.  All of them were based out of countries other than the US.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:14:55 PM

"I lost all my money shorting Bitcoin at the bottom and now I don't know what to do to make you sell anymore!!!"

I guess you bought Goxcoin on Bitcoinbuilder, because everything said about GOX all the time was plain FUD.
dude anybody here knew about the gox problems with withdrawals, it was obvious that you shouldn't have kept money there...
Hell even on Twitter it was full of folks screaming "take your money out of gox!!" before the catastrophe.

Anybody? Well, perhaps you missed all the people falling over themselves to wire money to Gox / send coins to BitcoinBuilder directly before they shut down.
just fools gambling money away

So you can guarantee that Bitstamp and friends are safe, and there won´t ever be problems withdrawing funds(USD/BTC) due to US(FBI) investigations?

So you can guarantee that they are not, and that no one should trade there anymore?
fonzie (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:19:47 PM

"I lost all my money shorting Bitcoin at the bottom and now I don't know what to do to make you sell anymore!!!"

I guess you bought Goxcoin on Bitcoinbuilder, because everything said about GOX all the time was plain FUD.
dude anybody here knew about the gox problems with withdrawals, it was obvious that you shouldn't have kept money there...
Hell even on Twitter it was full of folks screaming "take your money out of gox!!" before the catastrophe.

Anybody? Well, perhaps you missed all the people falling over themselves to wire money to Gox / send coins to BitcoinBuilder directly before they shut down.
just fools gambling money away

So you can guarantee that Bitstamp and friends are safe, and there won´t ever be problems withdrawing funds(USD/BTC) due to US(FBI) investigations?

So you can guarantee that they are not, and that no one should trade there anymore?

Everyone is free to decide for themself. It´s just an official big warning sign. How many Goxcoins have you bought on bitcoinbuilder btw?
You posted about it during that time Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:26:21 PM

SO does anyone who actually knows what they're talking about have the list of US based exchanges?

Posted by: jofus

The US shut down the 3 big poker sites and froze all of their assets.  All of them were based out of countries other than the US.

Then the US didn't shut them down, the country they were based in did. No matter how spooky you seem to think the USG is, they have limits on what they can and cannot do and if this is the FBI investigating LOCAL crimes they can't operate legally outside this country. If the gambling operation had a bank in the us, then their assets could be frozen. But if they did not, then the US did not freeze a damn thing.

If the WEBSITE ISP HOST was based in the US then the US would have jurisdiction over the isp or hosting company...not the company running the gambling site. At absolute most they could just force the site down, and the company who owns the site moves to other servers in other locations and back up and running. The business didn't get shut down. Because the US has no authority to do that anywhere but the US (FBI, which is interstate, not a global enforcer).

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
ampere9765

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:31:50 PM

SO does anyone who actually knows what they're talking about have the list of US based exchanges?

Posted by: jofus

The US shut down the 3 big poker sites and froze all of their assets.  All of them were based out of countries other than the US.

Then the US didn't shut them down, the country they were based in did.

Yes, so in practice, what is your point? US government handle it extra-judicially by pressuring businesses to comply. Otherwise they pressure the resident government. Either way, you'd be fooling yourself to believe the exchanges are out of reach for them. Start freezing assets and it's game over.
serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:40:05 PM

Only for the ones who'd have them frozen...but other countries aren't at the mercy of the us, we don't run the world. US has lost credibility world wide and people are jumping ship. Whether other countries would comply who knows but the entire exchange here was to the statement that the FBI has jurisdiction to freeze assets or do anything whatsoever anywhere but this country and they do not. It was pointing out that FBI isn't global. Not that US can't or doesn't work with other nations but only then are they with agencies OTHER THAN THE FBI. That was so the ones freaking out could settle down...there were other stories this week about Japan doing all sorts of crackdowns on Japan based exchanges, their own silk road raids and it didn't do shit to the market one way or another.

But this whole topic isn't about the government trying to attack the exchanges...they're looking at specified criminal activities vis silk road that may be linked to any other exchanges, and then the only ones they can mess with legally is any exchange in THIS country.  So for the inth time, are there more than just coinbase in the us?

If coinbase is the only one, I doubt seriously it'll be adversely affected because they're far too much in the white zone and unconnected with "dark net" activities. At absolute most if coinbase turns over information, they probably won't do shit until they secure legal protection (if they're smart) to make sure the subpoena specifies what or who they're after and it's not just a catchall of names - which is ILLEGAL in this country.

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
ampere9765

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:44:11 PM

Only for the ones who'd have them frozen...but other countries aren't at the mercy of the us, we don't run the world. US has lost credibility world wide and people are jumping ship. Whether other countries would comply who knows but the entire exchange here was to the statement that the FBI has jurisdiction to freeze assets or do anything whatsoever anywhere but this country and they do not.

Without speaking to anything else, I'd say the list of countries who wouldn't be pressured into complying is very short. And from there, the list of countries where investors would want to set up shop is even shorter.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:45:08 PM

Only for the ones who'd have them frozen...but other countries aren't at the mercy of the us, we don't run the world. US has lost credibility world wide and people are jumping ship. Whether other countries would comply who knows but the entire exchange here was to the statement that the FBI has jurisdiction to freeze assets or do anything whatsoever anywhere but this country and they do not. It was pointing out that FBI isn't global. Not that US can't or doesn't work with other nations but only then are they with agencies OTHER THAN THE FBI. That was so the ones freaking out could settle down...there were other stories this week about Japan doing all sorts of crackdowns on Japan based exchanges, their own silk road raids and it didn't do shit to the market one way or another.

But this whole topic isn't about the government trying to attack the exchanges...they're looking at specified criminal activities vis silk road that may be linked to any other exchanges, and then the only ones they can mess with legally is any exchange in THIS country.  So for the inth time, are there more than just coinbase in the us?

If coinbase is the only one, I doubt seriously it'll be adversely affected because they're far too much in the white zone and unconnected with "dark net" activities. At absolute most if coinbase turns over information, they probably won't do shit until they secure legal protection (if they're smart) to make sure the subpoena specifies what or who they're after and it's not just a catchall of names - which is ILLEGAL in this country.

Why is it that everyone only classifies Coinbase as a US exchange? Cryptsy is based in the US as well and is starting to take fiat conversions.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:46:24 PM

Only for the ones who'd have them frozen...but other countries aren't at the mercy of the us, we don't run the world. US has lost credibility world wide and people are jumping ship. Whether other countries would comply who knows but the entire exchange here was to the statement that the FBI has jurisdiction to freeze assets or do anything whatsoever anywhere but this country and they do not.

Without speaking to anything else, I'd say the list of countries who wouldn't be pressured into complying is very short. And from there, the list of countries where investors would want to set up shop is even shorter.

Correct.

But if it's an FBI operation it stops at the border. If it's international then some other agency could be involved. That's the point I was making. It doesn't need to go off the deep end here. That's why the FBI can't arrest anyone in other countries.

serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:47:07 PM

Is coinbase not an exchange?

ampere9765

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:49:52 PM

Is coinbase not an exchange?

Coinbase is not really an exchange, no. They more so act in the capacity of a broker. (And I suspect they front run their customers as well)
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:51:39 PM

Severing coinbase from stamp effectively kills stamp.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:54:16 PM

Fonzie is back hahaha

He will leave bitcointalk forever if the price goes over 550, IIRC.

$60 to go.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:55:20 PM

What would happen with my bitcoins if I have them on a wallet.dat file from bitcoin-qt and bitcoin-qt stops operating?

Can I still get them in some other way?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:56:00 PM

What would happen with my bitcoins if I have them on a wallet.dat file from bitcoin-qt and bitcoin-qt stops operating?

You can import that wallet file at blockchain.info for one, or you can simply re-download Bitcoin-QT.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:00:18 PM

You can import that wallet file at blockchain.info for one, or you can simply re-download Bitcoin-QT.

So bitcoin-qt will work forever?
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:04:22 PM

No. The qt client includes self-detonation code that will activate at or near the year 2140.
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:22:34 PM

No. The qt client includes self-detonation code that will activate at or near the year 2140.

Lolz.

First, fonzie and now good ole walsoraj! This thread is getting better and better!

So funny, noobs are eating this up like there's no tomorrow.

I vote fonzie for the Funniest Poster of The Year Award!
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:35:41 AM

To give a real answer... why wouldn't it? This is what is downloading the blockchain and acting as a node. I can't fathom anything that would make this stop, as every other service relies on it as well (as far as I know?). I do know there are custom implementations, but the principal remains that this shouldn't magically die off. And if it did, your wallet would be worthless.

chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:42:17 AM

If any exchanges are found to have connection the price will rally like mad because bitcoin withdrawals are the fastest means of getting out of the exchange.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: