Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:09:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin about to be attacked?  (Read 7206 times)
CornedBeefHash

January 31, 2012, 01:19:58 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2012, 05:35:29 AM by CornedBeefHash

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:35:46 AM

As someone else mentioned in another it is more likely for them to attempt double spends by creating alternative block chains. I recently discovered that the pool I was mining for (ABCPool) was reselling their hashing power. On fundamentals alone I decided to leave the pool and go back to deepbit. I purposely went to deepbit because I think BIP 16 and BIP 17 need more testing before attempting to implement them. I wonder who ultimately is paying this 105-115% PPS and what their true motivations are. I suggest miners take a closer look at their pool to decide whether or not they support the actions of that pool.
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 01:44:50 AM

They're monsters, just monsters.  Stay away, they bite!

OneFixt

Activity: 84
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:56:36 AM

As someone else mentioned in another it is more likely for them to attempt double spends by creating alternative block chains. I recently discovered that the pool I was mining for (ABCPool) was reselling their hashing power. On fundamentals alone I decided to leave the pool and go back to deepbit. I purposely went to deepbit because I think BIP 16 and BIP 17 need more testing before attempting to implement them. I wonder who ultimately is paying this 105-115% PPS and what their true motivations are. I suggest miners take a closer look at their pool to decide whether or not they support the actions of that pool.

Another possibility is that these pools are engaged in laundering stolen bitcoins.

Please consider using BitPenny.  It uses an open-source client and coinbase transactions to assure miners that their power is not resold or abused by the server, and that all coins are freshly generated.  We also believe that BIP 16 and 17 need more testing and are holding off on implementing either of them.

163c6YtwNbfVSyVvMQCBcmNX9RdYQdRqqa
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:57:14 AM

Since my service is mentioned I would like to reply slightly tongue-in-cheek.

If you so strongly believe bitcoin can get taken over by 3 partially similar services offering something to miners above market rate then I would strongly suggest to sell all your bitcoins right away since such small operations at all being able to kill the whole economy doesnt show any strength in bitcoin.

ps. Ive been a member of this forum since end of April 2011, I would have hoped long standing(and active) members would get just a little bit better treatment from the community than all these fear mongering  Cry

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Clipse

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:17:12 AM

If you so strongly believe bitcoin can get taken over by 3 partially similar services offering something to miners above market rate then I would strongly suggest to sell all your bitcoins right away since such small operations at all being able to kill the whole economy doesnt show any strength in bitcoin.

ps. Ive been a member of this forum since end of April 2011, I would have hoped long standing(and active) members would get just a little bit better treatment from the community than all these fear mongering  Cry

So you never plan on growing? Is that your business model.

If I can manage to grow to a supersize pool then I would, right now I know that its not within my experience to manage to high amount of users/traffic. As time goes by and I feel comfortable I would of course want to grow in size.

What does growing overtime have to do with the services you mentioned right now? Do you think the mentioned services would grow within a doomsday week to kill the bitcoin network? o_0

All of this takes time, months at a minimum to secure loyalty from users.

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
djinfected

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 03:08:42 AM

Someone has GOT to explain to me how you can possibly get more bitcoins than you've worked for without someone conning someone.
Clipse

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 03:41:55 AM

ps. Ive been a member of this forum since end of April 2011, I would have hoped long standing(and active) members would get just a little bit better treatment from the community than all these fear mongering  Cry

So you never plan on growing? Is that your business model.

If I can manage to grow to a supersize pool then I would, right now I know that its not within my experience to manage to high amount of users/traffic. As time goes by and I feel comfortable I would of course want to grow in size.

What does growing overtime have to do with the services you mentioned right now? Do you think the mentioned services would grow within a doomsday week to kill the bitcoin network? o_0

All of this takes time, months at a minimum to secure loyalty from users.

No, certainly it can’t happen in a week. Anything you do would need to be a long term plan. How is it possible over the long term to offer more than break even percentages? How will you stay in business? What is your business model? Is this a humanitarian venture?  

Woah, who said I am going to offer the current rates for long period of time, I didnt make such claims anywhere in my threads. I would offer it until its not possible anymore, longterm I plan to expand a growing pool similar to what others offer however at the same time try to offer something different that would be appealing to longterm users.

My business model is to shameless respond to idiotic posts and of course it is humanitarian effort since it is meant to feed hungry kids on mars.

Someone has GOT to explain to me how you can possibly get more bitcoins than you've worked for without someone conning someone.

Explain it to me and keep it from being criminal, harmful or stupid and I'll throw 6 GHash/s at it right now.

Wouldnt you like to know how its done? Please elaborate on what you feel is criminal according to your moral compass of justice.

Explain it to me and keep it from being criminal, harmful or stupid and I'll throw 6 GHash/s at it right now.

I'll explain it for 10btc per person, with the agreement that the student does not pass the information to others.

Or, I will explain it to one person for 100btc.  Included will be examples of how I have gained a profit through the use of these pools in a legitimate fashion, without ethical compromise, violation of terms of service, or illegal actions.

Damn reeses beat me to it, I will explain it to you in 12 month steps at 5BTC a month Wink

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:21:48 AM

You could always throw your 6 G/hash towards www.bitminter.com Dr. Haribo is about as honest as theycome.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:46:19 AM

TL:DR seems to be the sentiment...

And yes, Bitminter is a Java based miner. I like it, because you dont have to install anything other than the Java, and a wallet if you really must  have your coins...lol

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:58:56 AM

voltage clocked down too, and on the hardware compare page, you have more 5870s on various miners running in the mid 300, so my cards are not far off the average, plus they regularly hit 400+ for a few hours at a time everyday. I have confirmed this with CGminer, GUI miner, and diablos miner. I just prefer the Java miner.  Wink

and just for reference
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:13:13 AM

current stats on my 3 miners

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:15:39 AM

voltage clocked down too, and on the hardware compare page, you have more 5870s on various miners running in the mid 300, so my cards are not far off the average, plus they regularly hit 400+ for a few hours at a time everyday. I have confirmed this with CGminer, GUI miner, and diablos miner. I just prefer the Java miner.  Wink

and just for reference
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

That's not so bad then. I use a different concept for tweaking. It's simple - I want to be one step away from a house fire and crank every thing I can get out of a card. Both my 5870's are running at 434.2 constant.

I have a 2 month old that dont like the fans ramping up to uber fast, and ditto for the wife...Not a firefighter,so Imma not gonna mess with your method, no offense sir!

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:22:46 AM

you can probably afford new equipment every three months! I am but a lowly garbage man with a wife and daughter, who thinks he can trade bitcoins when he finds some!  Tongue Cheesy my cards gotta last a while yet!

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:39:52 AM

Id crap bricks for a new house if that happened! Bad caps on mobo, or one of the bridges cooking off?

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:46:39 AM

I'm the same. Love it. have you checked out Anubis for monitoring your cluster?

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:48:30 AM

truer words have never been spoken. You get what you pay for.

www.bitminter.com

!
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:55:55 AM

well played sir. as it is, good night/morning from the central US (its midnight here)

www.bitminter.com

!
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 09:06:21 AM

why dont you step up and implement smart-mining (just means that your miners decide on the block to build; bot you)?
i would happily join your pool if so... because there would be no risk in attacking bitcoin then...
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 09:14:25 AM

MONEY LAUNDERING
NO DOUBT

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: