Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:36:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My appeal to vinced and namecoin developers [DESIGN PROPOSALS]  (Read 7095 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 09:48:42 PM

Okay. Let my chaotic mind continue to travel from critic station to the solution proposal station.

How bitcoin deals with increasing bounty hunters? It has a positive feedback between network power and work difficulty. I.e. number of people (actually their cummulative power) grows => difficulty grows. Lets see

And what is namecoin in current stage? It is a addition to bitcoin, which charges fees and issues a TLDs. But where to put that charged fees? If we return them to miners, then there will be parasite positive feedback between number of ordered TLDs and bounty increasement. It will let miners to order TLDs only with purpose of their bounty increase. Free Money. Like beer.

So devs decided to destroy that fee. If we destroy that fee, the miners (and all others) will become bit reacher also. But this will also increase fees in their value. So this is some sort of positive feedback between number of ordered TLDs and fee increase.

But with bad implementation and negative effects:
1) System changes fees descrease according to dummy algo without feedback of its growing
2) The 1) effects are that devs should regulate this algo by hands doing network intrusion
3) If they will not properly guess fees, system will be full of spam or collapse
4) By destroying fees, system destroys itself and forces NMC value to have unpredicted behavior

The proposal
1) Registration fee must be constant (this needs some mathematics check)
2) Registration fee should return to turnover as miners' bounty
3) To avoid described parasite feedback, we need to put another feedback between number of TLDs registered for a certain time period and difficulty.

So if the registration activity will grow, the bounty will grow, but difficulty will also grow.
Benefits:
1) System do not destroy coins
2) devs do not do system intrusion
3) System regulate itself

interesting  Smiley
i always wondered what namecoin would do after all the coins where mined, but supposedly the fees would increase and first update would cost you zero, so nmc coins are only destroyed in it's first years of life

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pent (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 09:51:45 PM

But not ideal. Vulnerable to name registration DoS, which can spike difficulty increase - as suggest in IRC. This figure missed something and needs a brainstorm.
pent (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 03:58:21 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2012, 01:24:25 AM by pent

We have a couple of problems on previous fig:

1. From where to get a domain transaction fee? And where to link it?
2. Coins for domain transaction must be paid to miners back for their efforts, but tricky to avoid inflation.
3. Nedd an ability to accept even million of domain transactions per block
4. We must not intrude to standard N blocks/hour rule. This is the fundamental thing.

I draw a figure after reading BitDNS thread.

===cut===

Doesn't work. Main bounty price is decreased, so domain price also collapsed to zero. Need improvement
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 12:47:54 AM

I'm quite devastated by this topic.

It seems that namecoin is doomed from the start. Why didn't the NMC developers account for that ?

pent (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 08:39:18 AM

This concept design demonstrates this figure and not vulnerable to registration ddos

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 08:42:48 AM

Last time I checked, block diagrams do not provide mathematical proofs, just abstract schematics ....

pent (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 08:45:38 AM

Last time I checked, block diagrams do not provide mathematical proofs, just abstract schematics ....
If you good in mathematics, you are welcome to check structure. Some negation calcs were posted in russian thread, but we dealed with them.
Wordlet

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 07:00:28 PM

3. Nedd an ability to accept even million of domain transactions per block

This! Allowing perhaps millions of transactions per block would open up the possibility of something being done with m/ (messages) namespace. Pruning them seems like the ideal solution if it's an instant messaging scenario, but keeping them around would be better if it's an email sort of scenario. Either way you'd need lots of transactions to be possible.

Imagine a decentralized  IRC or IM client where you control your security with encryption and no centralized authority censors,limits access,or monitors messages that are difficult to encrypt without plugins.

For example, say you want to have a secure place to discuss terms, perhaps you need to give some personal phone or address information, or website access passwords, and don't want it getting into the wrong hands. You can use their n/ name to verify who they are with a GPG key and/or signed message verifying their ownership of a public bitcoin address, you can then discuss terms with a secure namecoin instant messaging client (encrypted text that if desired gets pruned from blockchain), then you send your bitcoins to the address you verified belongs to the person you're talking to.

If problems arise, the agreement is stored in the block chain, and you can provide the decryption key to anyone to verify that the other party has not fulfilled their obligations.

I understand that i left some security holes in there but you get the general idea. I think it would be very cool. Smiley

/end lofty dreams for namecoin
coinft

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 05:52:06 PM

Actually khal's explanations confused me. He said the problem in squaters, but the real problem is in money from nothing. That is why they destroy coins.

Squaters are not a problem.

The problem that system by current design is DEAD in a future. And my programmer expirence says that future becomes much quickly than expected.

Some limits are so large they are not a problem ever.

Some day we may exhaust the IPv6 space... Still the internet happily exists on IPv4 mostly.

Some day even all conventional DNS top level domains may be taken. Proof: there are only limited characters allowed (c) and there's some limit on segement length (l), so there are only c**n different *.com domain names (repeat for others). If I estimate (from memory) c=30, l=63, that's roughly 1E93 domains, and most of them are pretty much unusable as memorizable names. Are you crying doom on DNS too, because the future may arrive incredibly early?

If anything, I'd like more namecoins destroyed for upkeep instead just initial registration to mitigate squatting.

-coinft.
pent (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 05:56:11 PM

How much namecoins domain costs now? And how much namecoin costs itself?

And what will be in 6 months?

suggestion: free domains and spam hell.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: