Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:22:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Media stories  (Read 2714 times)
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:04:27 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2012, 09:21:41 PM by genjix

Hey,

There's a number of useful articles which I'm not collecting anywhere and am worried are getting buried. I'm going to collect all the important stories in this post for easy viewing, and post new stories to this thread. Also other websites if I think they're relevant or good.

Overview:

The future cannot exist without the past
Bulleted advantages
The cacophony of technology
Technology shifts

European Bitcoin Conference:

[eurobit] Sergey Kurtsev – Decentralizing Bitcoin
[eurobit] Stefan Thomas – BitcoinJS
[eurobit] David Birch – Next Generation Money
[eurobit] Jim Burton – MultiBit
[eurobit] Rick Falkvinge – Banks: The Fourth Victim of Citizen’s empowerment

Informative:

libbitcoin and Asynchronous Programming
Vanitygen + FirstBits = bitcoin handles
Bitcoin will outlive the internet
Fat blockchain
Merchant developer tutorial
Proof of work exposed

Popular:

Bitcoin replaces Western Union, that’s all
Who uses Tor?
Iran’s dire straits
Megaupload conspiracy
Physibles on The Pirate Bay
THANK YOU SCHUMER
The Truth behind BIP 16 and 17
Cathartic progress
Our next adoption phase By Ruediger Koch (anu)
Warning: BTC-E compromised By Patrick Strateman (phantomcircuit)
Fear and loathing in Bitcoin world, why is there so much volatility? By Topi Kanerva (topi)

libbitcoin:

libbitcoin and Asynchronous Programming
[libbitcoin] Overview
[libbitcoin] First steps
[libbitcoin] First 500 blocks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:04:49 PM

Everything:

[eurobit] Sergey Kurtsev – Decentralizing Bitcoin
BIP 0015 – Bitcoin Aliases
Bitcoin Introduction by Amir Taaki and Jamison Young
Drugs and sex bought online
libbitcoin and Asynchronous Programming - good for programmers
Bitcoin will be ready for mainstream adoption when….
Vanitygen + FirstBits = bitcoin handles
Cash Not Credit Cards: Suspicious & Weird
cjdns – The New Network. Better than Tor, i2p and Freenet
Bitcoin will outlive the internet
Interview with Marius Falke of BitMit
Bitcoin TV episode CONFIRMED!!!
[eurobit] Stefan Thomas – BitcoinJS
Bitcoin replaces Western Union, that’s all - featured on Slashdot
The revolution will not be televised. The revolution will be digitised. - zomg this is so cool
The future cannot exist without the past
[eurobit] David Birch – Next Generation Money
Ask Max Keiser & Stacy Herbert about bitcoin
Fat blockchain
Bulleted advantages
The cacophony of technology
The EFF’s own chilling breeze. by Julz
Who uses Tor?
[eurobit] Tony Gallippi – Bitcoin Adoption
The Good Wife – “Bitcoin for Dummies” Promo
Living Card-Free With Bitcoin
Technology shifts
Luke Dashjr throws book at SolidCoin
Merchant developer tutorial
Good Wife episode review
The Second Bitcoin Whitepaper by dacoinmaster
Death to Flow Capital by jaromil
Iran’s dire straits
Megaupload conspiracy
Max Keiser answers your questions
Physibles on The Pirate Bay featured on Slashdot!
Proof of work exposed
THANK YOU SCHUMER covered by Betabeat by Gawker by Forbes and RT lol
[eurobit] Jim Burton – MultiBit - needs more love. MultiBit is super cool
The Truth behind BIP 16 and 17
Cathartic progress

If anyone wants to write something then email me at 'myusername'@riseup.net
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 11:48:10 PM

Cyber revolt!
You got up, you worked, you slept, you died. Loyalties were to our immediate family, maybe our community. Work was only a means to provide for your family. Your ecology might only be your town (villages by today’s standards). Tribal or national boundaries were strong as a foreigner was strange. Unusual. Not a common occurence.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 10:22:27 AM

We just released another video from the conference Grin

[eurobit] Rick Falkvinge – Banks: The Fourth Victim of Citizen’s empowerment
Falkvinge compares past examples of technology adoption like email and the postal service, eventually drawing parallels with bitcoin and the banks. Email was largely ignored in the beginning by the postal industry because it was not a competitor.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 01:15:45 PM

mark

genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 03:19:54 AM

A little bit of a techy article/tutorial:

[libbitcoin] Overview
libbitcoin is a bitcoin library targeted towards high end use. The library places a heavy focus around asychronicity. The enables a big scope for future scalability as each component has its own thread pool. By increasing the number of threads for that component the library is able to scale outwards across CPU cores. This will be vital in the future as the demands of the bitcoin network grow.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 05:11:10 PM

BitTalk.TV Stefan Thomas interview
Stefan Thomas discusses bitcoin’s direction. There are many big speakers in the community, but Stefan is an actual developer having contributed a useful library that has enabled several interesting sites and wallets to exist. He understands the protocol and core code. And the bitcoin introduction video on the WeUseCoins website.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 02:39:48 PM

Founder of world’s largest ponzi company pimps bitcoin
Sergei Mavrodi was the founder of MMM, a Russian company that perpetuated one of the world's largest ponzi schemes of all time during the 1990s. Around 5 to 40 million people lost up to $10 billion. Its founder was eventually found guilty of defrauding 10,000 investors of $4.3 million and sentenced to four and a half years in a penal colony.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 03:41:53 PM

Catherine Flick: Bitcoin and the Dual-Use Dilemma
When me and Martin Dittus held the Bitcoin Weekend at the London Hackspace, Catherine Flick sent us this video on her research into bitcoin as a computer ethicist.

Catherine is a researcher in technology ethics at Middlesex University. She started investigating the potential social and ethical impact of Bitcoin, and is currently evaluating a first survey.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 02:56:52 PM

[libbitcoin] First steps
This tutorial will create a simple program in Python using libbitcoin’s Python bindings to read the version information of a remote bitcoin node. We will need to connect to the bitcoin node and send it a version packet. The other bitcoin node should respond back with their own version packet which we can examine.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 06:14:41 PM

Facebook privacy
Critics of bitcoin ask why privacy is important. An ongoing discussion about the role of personal privacy in digital contexts polarises. It is a debate that will forever change the fabric of our shared online culture.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 06:21:55 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 08:08:32 PM by genjix

Electrum 0.38 – aliases and signed URIs
Electrum is a lightweight client written in Python. The design is an improvement over Bitcoin-Qt because the user interface and core code are split into a client and a server. This means you can run an Electrum server instance, and use the same bitcoin from a wide variety of devices. Server instances are analogous to email servers, and the Electrum client with email clients.

BBC 5 live investigates Silk Road and Bitcoins
I wish more Bitcoin proponents would embrace the Silk Road, and what it stands for, as a positive social force; both for Bitcoin’s growth and success, but also more generally as a new tool for the safe disobedience of unjust laws. Instead it seems they more often try to downplay the size and influence of Silk Road (falsely too), in an attempt to distance themselves, and the rest of the Bitcoin community, from the “illegal activity” going on. This is a strategy from Bitcoiners that I honestly don’t understand.

Tim Schafer raised $800,000 in 24 hours
Tim Schafer is a legend within the game designers community. Although his video games are not massive commercial successes, they are critically acclaimed. In particular his use of level design for gameplay elements and well written dialogue make his work an example to follow for budding game designers.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 03:44:35 PM

This is a cool story. This guy went around African embassies to promote Bitcoin:

Our next adoption phase
Much has been talked about the early adopter advantage while in fact we are not even in that stage yet. We’re at the beginning of the innovator stage in the technology adoption lifecycle now. The early adopter phase is next. So we still have some say in who those future early adopters are going to be who are going to realize the early adopter advantage. I argue that the early adopters should be some of those who so far have been systematically disadvantaged, specifically people of small, poor nations, many of which can be found on the African continent.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 12:47:42 AM

Thanks for doing this but why don't you add this to Bitcoin press hits, notable sources because it already has a sticky. I had to search through posts the other day because I wanted to reread one of your postings. It would be better if it can’t get lost.

You think that's a good idea? I didn't want to annoy people by spamming that thread because it seems more geared towards mainstream news. Even this thread I was worried might be spammy but the moderators told me it was fine.
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 12:57:54 AM

I think the current format is perfect! Keep 'em coming.

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 11:21:55 PM

I think the current format is perfect! Keep 'em coming.

Thank you Smiley It is nice to know people appreciate my works. Feel free to suggest things you want to know about or what type articles you like best in this thread.

Also people should give me a poke if they want to write something. I'm dominating this a bit too much :p
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 09:19:17 PM

Warning: BTC-E compromised
I have identified a critical flaw on BTC-E that allows unhindered access to accounts. I recommend people to stop all trading on BTC-E now.
By Patrick Strateman (phantomcircuit)

Fear and loathing in Bitcoin world, why is there so much volatility?
As most everyone already knows by now, some currencies are more volatile than others. The volatility comes from out-of-balance market actions. That is, during some precisely defined window of time, there are more people wanting to sell than there are potential buyers, and vice versa. Sometimes these imbalances are exaggerated, which then manifests as rapid decline or appreciation of exchange rates of said currency.
By Topi Kanerva (topi)

Bitcoinica Legal Complaint
parapipan has filed a legal complaint against the Spanish authorities. The complaint is that their legal status is unknown and requests for providing information are left unanswered.

[libbitcoin] First 500 blocks
libbitcoin is a toolkit based library and can be leveraged with different design patterns depending on the task or application. Previously we examined using libbitcoin using an active object pattern. In this example we will use an imperative style program to connect to a bitcoin node and download the first 500 blocks.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 11:04:31 PM

Check my Kicks
DJ_FC custom built his own Nike Jordans to create this luscious BITCOIN sneaker.

BTC-Hospital Saves Me
That guy on the bitcoin forums literally saved me from crippling injury in a few years time. Had I not spoke to him, it may have been too late before I got it checked out. I always kept putting it off since I'm so busy and it didn't seem like a big deal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: