Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:58:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Map Makers Admit Mistake in Showing Ice Cap Loss in Greenland  (Read 20272 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:09:27 AM

3. The timing and magnitudes of information transmission are not tied to physical processes. Do these phenomena explain consciousness?[/b]
-You are making the assumption that the timing and magnitudes of information transmission are not tied to physical processes. We need to address why this assumption was made.

Without addressing anything else you have said at this point in time, let's clarify:

Without regard to the method of information transmission, is it strictly the timing and structure of the information flow independent of the physical process which facilitates it which gives rise to conscious experience?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:15:00 AM

With regard to the rest of what you've said, you really need to read Chalmers. His landmark book is this: http://www.amazon.com/Conscious-Mind-Search-Fundamental-Philosophy/dp/0195117891/

Absent reading that, how about trying these papers:

http://consc.net/papers/nature.pdf

http://consc.net/papers/representation.pdf

Here is the source: http://consc.net/consc-papers.html
FirstAscent

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:16:44 AM

A summary of the book:

What is consciousness? How do physical processes in the brain give rise to the self-aware mind and to feelings as profoundly varied as love or hate, aesthetic pleasure or spiritual yearning? These questions today are among the most hotly debated issues among scientists and philosophers, and we have seen in recent years superb volumes by such eminent figures as Francis Crick, Daniel C. Dennett, Gerald Edelman, and Roger Penrose, all firing volleys in what has come to be called the consciousness wars. Now, in The Conscious Mind, philosopher David J. Chalmers offers a cogent analysis of this heated debate as he unveils a major new theory of consciousness, one that rejects the prevailing reductionist trend of science, while offering provocative insights into the relationship between mind and brain.

Writing in a rigorous, thought-provoking style, the author takes us on a far-reaching tour through the philosophical ramifications of consciousness. Chalmers convincingly reveals how contemporary cognitive science and neurobiology have failed to explain how and why mental events emerge from physiological occurrences in the brain. He proposes instead that conscious experience must be understood in an entirely new light--as an irreducible entity (similar to such physical properties as time, mass, and space) that exists at a fundamental level and cannot be understood as the sum of its parts. And after suggesting some intriguing possibilities about the structure and laws of conscious experience, he details how his unique reinterpretation of the mind could be the focus of a new science. Throughout the book, Chalmers provides fascinating thought experiments that trenchantly illustrate his ideas. For example, in exploring the notion that consciousness could be experienced by machines as well as humans, Chalmers asks us to imagine a thinking brain in which neurons are slowly replaced by silicon chips that precisely duplicate their functions--as the neurons are replaced, will consciousness gradually fade away? The book also features thoughtful discussions of how the author's theories might be practically applied to subjects as diverse as artificial intelligence and the interpretation of quantum mechanics.

All of us have pondered the nature and meaning of consciousness. Engaging and penetrating, The Conscious Mind adds a fresh new perspective to the subject that is sure to spark debate about our understanding of the mind for years to come.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:18:28 AM

3. The timing and magnitudes of information transmission are not tied to physical processes. Do these phenomena explain consciousness?[/b]
-You are making the assumption that the timing and magnitudes of information transmission are not tied to physical processes. We need to address why this assumption was made.

Without addressing anything else you have said at this point in time, let's clarify:

Without regard to the method of information transmission, is it strictly the timing and structure of the information flow independent of the physical process which facilitates it which gives rise to conscious experience?

Is there any evidence that the timing and structure of the information flow is independent of physical processes? How does this evidence compare to the evidence that it is dependent?

We have returned to:

Since we will never have complete information about the universe, in the end there will always be an aspect of subjectivity (i.e., more spiritual people will give the unknown process hypothesis a higher prior probability). All we can do is look for support of the hypothesis that experience can be accounted for due to known physical processes. In other words, need more data.
FirstAscent

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:24:39 AM

Is there any evidence that the timing and structure of the information flow is independent of physical processes? How does this evidence compare to the evidence that it is dependent?

We're back to panpsychism, Chinese populations, economies, silicon neurons, Turing machines, and Chinese Rooms. I think your synopsis and analysis of the problem and suggestions for methods are premature given your general lack of knowledge regarding discussion on the subject, notably the concepts listed in the first sentence of this paragraph.

Read Chalmers, Searle, Hofstadter, and others.
bb113

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:35:56 AM

Chalmers convincingly reveals how contemporary cognitive science and neurobiology have failed to explain how and why mental events emerge from physiological occurrences in the brain.

Yes, the ideal experiments will take forever to perform unless we are lucky or can plan them well. It is no surprise the reductionist approach has thus far failed. This alone does not mean that it cannot succeed, nor that it is not the best approach.

He proposes instead that conscious experience must be understood in an entirely new light--as an irreducible entity (similar to such physical properties as time, mass, and space) that exists at a fundamental level and cannot be understood as the sum of its parts. And after suggesting some intriguing possibilities about the structure and laws of conscious experience, he details how his unique reinterpretation of the mind could be the focus of a new science.

So, consciousness is an emergent property. This does not mean it cannot be understood. There are many phenomena that cannot be understood as the sum of their parts. This does not make them irreducible. That said, the idea that information (energy-entropy, order) is as fundamental (if not more fundamental) a part of the universe as mass, time, and space will get no argument from me.

We're back to panpsychism, Chinese populations, economies, silicon neurons, Turing machines, and Chinese Rooms. I think your synopsis and analysis of the problem and suggestions for methods are premature given your general lack of knowledge regarding discussion on the subject, notably the concepts listed in the first sentence of this paragraph.

Read Chalmers, Searle, Hofstadter, and others.

That is not evidence, it is a list of systems with large numbers of degrees of freedom. I am interested in the ideas of others, but learn best when I am able to ask questions. You are here and seem to have taken the time to understand these philosophers, they are not accessible to me.
FirstAscent

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:45:25 AM

That is not evidence, it is a list of systems with large numbers of degrees of freedom. I am interested in the ideas of others, but learn best when I am able to ask questions. You are here and seem to have taken the time to understand these philosophers, they are not accessible to me.

I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted when you think that I should help you understand these difficult topics when at the same time you dispute and nitpick what I say.

I'll say it again. Read Chalmers. He's not just some random book author on the subject. And that's a major understatement.
bb113

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:02:04 AM

Sorry if it comes off as insulting. In my work, it is common for people to question every claim we make. When I let it bleed though, it can come off as insulting. "Dispute and nitpick" = "questioning and trying to put in my own words".

Reading chalmer's may be the ideal thing, but I have limited time. Rather than searching through his work for the passages relevant to what I have said, it would be easier (for me) if you addressed them directly. If I was talking to Chalmer's would he tell me to just read his books? If his response to my specific claims would be so complex as to require a book-length response, then I have to say it is probably convoluted. If you simply don't feel like putting forth the effort to explain it, then ok.
FirstAscent

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:21:01 AM

Rather than searching through his work for the passages relevant to what I have said, it would be easier (for me) if you addressed them directly.

This is what is wrong with your methods. You apply the same methodology to your understanding of climate change. Stop looking for passages relevant to what you are looking for. You're not going to prove anything to anyone, least of all yourself, by applying selective choice to your assimilation of knowledge.

Reading Chalmers (or books on climate change) is not an endeavor engaged in for the purpose of answering some specific and most likely ill defined question that you have posed to yourself. Instead, it's about gaining an invisible companion for ten or so hours, as he or she tells you stories and shares with you their thought processes, in a complete argument which is greater than the sum of the parts.

If I was talking to Chalmer's would he tell me to just read his books?

He would only have so much patience with you, and be more than right when he says he has limited time, given that you just made that claim yourself. Respect others. Your claim about limited time is a little hypocritical.

If his response to my specific claims would be so complex as to require a book-length response, then I have to say it is probably convoluted. If you simply don't feel like putting forth the effort to explain it, then ok.

I enjoy discussion. But that discussion becomes more enjoyable when the other party finally realizes that there is a treasure trove of wonderful information out there that deserves to be consumed in whole, rather than in snippets.

Furthermore, technical articles on the subject become more useful and meaningful (and I mean snippets and phrases as well) when one has read whole primers on the subject first.

On biodiversity, read:
Edward O. Wilson
John Terborgh
Dave Foreman

On climate change, read:
Tim Flannery
Paul Ehrlich

On consciousness, read:
David Chalmers
John Searle
Douglas Hofstadter
Daniel Dennett
bb113

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:53:43 AM

This is what is wrong with your methods. You apply the same methodology to your understanding of climate change. Stop looking for passages relevant to what you are looking for. You're not going to prove anything to anyone, least of all yourself, by applying selective choice to your assimilation of knowledge.

Reading Chalmers (or books on climate change) is not an endeavor engaged in for the purpose of answering some specific and most likely ill defined question that you have posed to yourself. Instead, it's about gaining an invisible companion for ten or so hours, as he or she tells you stories and shares with you their thought processes, in a complete argument which is greater than the sum of the parts.

Well at least we are both consistent. Cheesy

I think your way of understanding is faulty, you think mine is. To each their own I guess. I would say that you are also applying selective choice in assimilating knowledge. It is a necessary problem due to having a limited time on this earth. The real choice is how to spend it. I choose to focus on how data/arguments fit in my schema and accommodate when the schema no longer works, you seem to assess complete arguments and assimilate them into your schema according to "what satisfies you". Both of us probably dabble in the other (I know I do).

And you are right, Chalmer's would only have so much patience with me. I am the same with others with regards to "alkaline diets" and "sub-clinical candidiasis," etc. That is why it is best to figure out the exact source of disagreement ASAP. If it is based on trusting authority or consensus, then most likely we will be wasting our time arguing about logical sounding narratives and ambiguous/misunderstood definitions. I probably will read chalmers one day though.
FirstAscent

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:27:11 PM

Well at least we are both consistent. Cheesy

I think your way of understanding is faulty, you think mine is. To each their own I guess. I would say that you are also applying selective choice in assimilating knowledge. It is a necessary problem due to having a limited time on this earth. The real choice is how to spend it. I choose to focus on how data/arguments fit in my schema and accommodate when the schema no longer works, you seem to assess complete arguments and assimilate them into your schema according to "what satisfies you". Both of us probably dabble in the other (I know I do).

And you are right, Chalmer's would only have so much patience with me. I am the same with others with regards to "alkaline diets" and "sub-clinical candidiasis," etc. That is why it is best to figure out the exact source of disagreement ASAP. If it is based on trusting authority or consensus, then most likely we will be wasting our time arguing about logical sounding narratives and ambiguous/misunderstood definitions. I probably will read chalmers one day though.

Fair enough.

The only real problem I have with the above is this:

That is why it is best to figure out the exact source of disagreement ASAP. If it is based on trusting authority or consensus, then most likely we will be wasting our time arguing about logical sounding narratives and ambiguous/misunderstood definitions.

Complex concepts (ecosystems, climate change, philosophy of mind, etc.) are topics which are understood through illustration of numerous subtopics, examples and explanations which are best absorbed by fully reading a treatise articulated by an expert within the field. Your mining of such texts for particular phrases really leaves you no wiser.

Once you've read the following, you'll be in a better position to understand and dissect the information. I recommend the following books:

The Conscious Mind: In Search of a Fundamental Theory - David Chalmers
Sweet Dreams: Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness - Daniel Dennett
The Future of Life - Edward O. Wilson
The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth - Tim Flannery
The Dominant Animal: Human Evolution and the Environment - Paul Ehrlich
FirstAscent

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 05:26:37 AM

I must misunderstand you. Are you claiming Scientific American is proper scientific literature but the IPCC reports are not?

No. I'm claiming that your method of filtering what you read is counter productive and detrimental to your learning.

Is there a review article you recommend?

No. But I have recommended some books for you.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:03:19 PM

I had a go at discussing consciousness in the Off-Topic forum, since this is the Politics and Society forum. I've never really posted there before, but now, after having watched it for a week or two, I can see its really childish. It's too bad the only reasonably intellectual discussion unrelated to Bitcoin must be shoehorned into the category of Politics and Society.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 07:42:10 PM

I am somewhat familiar with philosophical zombies and turing machines. I just learn best by asking questions... So, with regards to experience: Would you say "experience is the result of physical processes"?

Hameroff is the only guy who "gets it" in this group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnS_cT8yLtU

It makes you wonder if the guy who interrupted him in the last part is a philosophical zombie.
bb113

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 03:51:56 AM

Well it looks like hammeroff takes issue with your ordering in the other thread as well.

I scanned this (get the pdf if you can, it is formatted much better):

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/penrose-hameroff/orchOR.html

It does not answer my initial question, maybe you can point me in the right direction. All cells have microtubules, so why is it only those in the brain that are giving rise to consciousness?

Also, the analysis of microtuble dynamics in that paper is very simplified, maybe because it was published over a decade ago (I can't say for the physics).
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 04:26:58 AM

Well it looks like hammeroff takes issue with your ordering in the other thread as well.

No, he does not. Do not confuse symbolic reflection with the fundamental building blocks of consciousness.

I scanned this (get the pdf if you can, it is formatted much better):

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/penrose-hameroff/orchOR.html

It does not answer my initial question, maybe you can point me in the right direction. All cells have microtubules, so why is it only those in the brain that are giving rise to consciousness?

First of all, let's be clear. I am neither for or against the theory of microtubules. I think the theory is interesting. With regard to your assessment of my 'ordering' and what Hameroff said in the video I linked to, he was not discussing microtubules.

Secondly, and in answer to your question, why don't you dig up what Hameroff has to say about paramecium?

Finally, and in reference to the first quoted statement of yours in this post, do not confuse your brand of emergence with my ideas. Tell me, at what point does the emergence of consciousness occur?
bb113

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 05:16:28 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 06:08:59 AM by bitcoinbitcoin113

I was just asking a question geez...

On rewatching the video, Hammeroff says " it (protoconsciousness) has probably been there since the big bang". So I guess he wasn't talking about consciousness per se.

Spier and Thomas also argue that 'microtubules are too unstable to account for consciousness' While this is true of non-neuronal dividing cells, whose microtubules radiate from centrioles and are (as Spier and Thomas describe) dynamically unstable, neurons in the brain don’t divide, their microtubules do not radiate from centrioles, and they do not manifest dynamic instability11. Brain microtubules are quite stable and interlinked in complex cytoskeletal networks.
http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/views/freewill.html

Touche. Except that neuronal microtubules do radiate from centrioles and exhibit dynamic instability, (the reference #11 does not exist in that document...) once again this stuff is from the 90's though.

Finally, and in reference to the first quoted statement of yours in this post, do not confuse your brand of emergence with my ideas. Tell me, at what point does the emergence of consciousness occur?

I think there is likely a continuum of "consciousness" so it does not "emerge" at a certain point.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 05:19:55 AM

I think there is likely a continuum of "consciousness" so it does not "emerge" at a certain point.

So then you're saying that the fundamental building block of consciousness is there all the way down.

Like this: http://books.google.com/books?id=R6fNPulyndcC&pg=PT82&lpg=PT82&dq=hameroff+proto-consciousness&source=bl&ots=YVoPflad-E&sig=Pf_X0ymAETqFeraIAoCQjsBsyz4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kDZYT_3vFdHIsQLLnNnJDQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=hameroff%20proto-consciousness&f=false

That's the thing. Emergence is bullshit. At least with regard to consciousness. Nature (evolution) merely found a good structure (the brain) to harness what was already there.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 05:26:08 AM

That's the thing. Emergence is bullshit. At least with regard to consciousness. Nature (evolution) merely found a good structure (the brain) to harness what was already there.

To be more precise, proto-consciousness would be the fundamental building block of qualia. That alleviates the Hard Problem somewhat, by stating that qualia is fundamental, right down to the core components of the Universe. From there, evolution merely harnessed that trait inherent in the Universe, and evolved structures which amplify and utilize it.
bb113

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 05:44:39 AM

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm not convinced.

I don't understand why the concept of protoconsciousness needs to be introduced.

All matter at the quantum level is thought to be proto-conscious; the brain is but where the potentialities of protoconsciousness might become a full-fledged consciousness

I would say: All matter at the lowest possible level of complexity (quantum, perhaps) interacts with it's environment, the rules by which matter interacts lead to the formation of structures* of increasing complexity. These structures have at least one more degree of freedom in how they can respond the external environment than the sum of the individual degrees of freedom. I would term this "emergence". The brain happens to have a very large set of possible responses packed into a small space, which gives rise to the possibility of human-type consciousness. From our discussions I have come to think of consciousness as a function of degrees of freedom/volume, maybe information density is a better term.

*As a very loose definition: by structure I mean collections of  matter that receive more information about (are more influenced by) within-structure matter than external.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: