Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:01:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You work your butt off, and a rich dude does nothing and gets rich - how?  (Read 23775 times)
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:56:51 PM

Because money makes money and the rich get richer.  Inheritance all but guarantees ever increasing disparity.  Sad but true.  The argument that trickle down occurs is flawed (or at least it does nothing to address the increasing disparity).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:25:28 PM

Why are house prices so high? http://ozziecoin.com/?p=1514

Housing bubble = get quick rich scheme, fueled by cheap credit, from the idiot savante middle upper class who can't figure out a better way to acquire money.

Bitcoin bubble = get quick rich scheme, fueled by an-cap paranoia, from the ibtards who can't figure out a better way to acquire money.  Grin

Funny how they are but two sides of the same coin.

Except Bitcoin doesn't interfere with access to affordable shelter.

Imagine if water was commercialized and made a huge bubble and was priced out of the stratosphere that the only way to afford it would be debt?  Lol

Don't give them any ideas.  Shocked

twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:40:09 PM

Why are house prices so high? http://ozziecoin.com/?p=1514

Housing bubble = get quick rich scheme, fueled by cheap credit, from the idiot savante middle upper class who can't figure out a better way to acquire money.

Bitcoin bubble = get quick rich scheme, fueled by an-cap paranoia, from the ibtards who can't figure out a better way to acquire money.  Grin

Funny how they are but two sides of the same coin.

Except Bitcoin doesn't interfere with access to affordable shelter.

Imagine if water was commercialized and made a huge bubble and was priced out of the stratosphere that the only way to afford it would be debt?  Lol

Imagine if water was contained in a lake 21 million Liters in size and half of it has already been claimed the only way to share it is to split the rest amongst every unborn child from here til eternity.  LOL  Grin
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:42:06 PM

I hope you realize that it was you working your butt off that got that dude rich. You are how it happened.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:23:17 AM

I hope you realize that it was you working your butt off that got that dude rich. You are how it happened.

If that were the case then all the construction subtrade contractors would be wealthy (when most are only middle upper class at best).  The rich in our society either made money off cheap credit, monopolies and/or franchising.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:30:31 PM

If that were the case then all the construction subtrade contractors would be wealthy (when most are only middle upper class at best).  The rich in our society either made money off cheap credit, monopolies and/or franchising.

A lot of them got rich with a great idea, hard work, and smart decisions. There is definitely a lot of people that rode a system of theft to great wealth but to say that about all wealthy people is simply wrong.

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:31:31 PM

Because money makes money and the rich get richer.  Inheritance all but guarantees ever increasing disparity.  Sad but true.  The argument that trickle down occurs is flawed (or at least it does nothing to address the increasing disparity).

So I don't have the right to pass the fruit of my life long labor to my wife and children? Who then is entitled to steal my hard work? A government looter? You?

Ozziecoin (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 04:54:11 PM

This thread isn't about inheritance tax. It is about the ability of FRB to create wealth for the wealthy because of the mere fact that they hold assets. Please read page 1 if unsure.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 05:38:24 PM

The “increasing lopsidedness in terms of wealth accumulation at the top end” would not be so dramatic if median wealth was also increasing. (Mike Santoli)

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 05:57:45 PM

Wow this thread clearly crush "dreamers"  Grin

There are enough evidence, everywhere in the world, where people with "Poor" backgrounds, excelled in life, and made it big.

Bill Gates started in his garage {Today he is the richest man alive}

My neighbor came to our "3rd world" country with only a bag of clothes. 45 years later he pensioned a millionaire, and I am the poor bastard next door, spoiling his view. Ha ha ha.

And there are thousands of these examples of poor people making it big. {Those are the good stories, that catch the news, not the wealthy rich boy, who inherit millions}

Will the rich get richer, yes they will.. Do poor people, have no change, of making it big? No way.   
Gates was hardly from a poor background. Yes he made a lot of money, but never, NEVER forget that a good part of that was because he was in the office the day Digital Research was out hang-gliding. When IBM came a-calling he was there. Was that hard work? Sure. Was that also luck? Sure.

I remember these guys from the ITS days, and when Gates was writing code for the Model 100. Luck played a bigger part than you might want to acknowledge.

And I know plenty of people who founded companies in the 90's dot.com boom and the late 90's Internet boom. Some made a lot of money, then lost it all on their next investment. Because they confused their "luck" with "skill" and "smartz".

That said, studies have shown that social mobility in the US is stagnated. It's a lot harder to drop from rich to poor, and a lot harder to move from poor to rich. Easier to fall out of middle class, harder to move from middle-rich. That's not an opinion, that's a simple flat fact.

My own story of dropping out of HS to where I am now (quite happy and comfortable) is kind of cool, but it really helped that I was sleeping on the right steam grate when the opportunity arose. I credit my skills, my friendly manner, but I *never* forget that luck played a part, along with my upbringing (son of an AT&T manager in the 70's. Got a lot of cool things to play with as a kid).

Ozziecoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 06:09:48 PM

I'm really wondering whether the US even has a "middle class" anymore.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:30:38 PM

That said, studies have shown that social mobility in the US is stagnated. It's a lot harder to drop from rich to poor, and a lot harder to move from poor to rich. Easier to fall out of middle class, harder to move from middle-rich. That's not an opinion, that's a simple flat fact.

Yes - social mobility studies provide us with the facts that they'd prefer we didn't know about - they'd much prefer to "big up" the guy who dragged himself from the gutter to go on to make a million. Even though it hardly ever happens. But if you live in hope you won't die in despair etc etc - its almost like the opium of the masses these days, having displaced religion, this illusion/self delusion of personal freedom.

Luck played a bigger part than you might want to acknowledge.

... Some made a lot of money, then lost it all on their next investment. Because they confused their "luck" with "skill" and "smartz".

...I credit my skills, my friendly manner, but I *never* forget that luck played a part

I've got to say Lightfoot, yours is one of the better posts I have read of late - because by acknowledging your good fortune/luck you are showing humility - and humility is a trait sadly lacking these days in most people. They love to tell you about how they didn't have it easy and had to struggle - even those that blatantly had it laid on a plate - because having the good grace to acknowledge their own good fortune would be a severe hit to their own cherished image of themselves. Its the vanity of it that gets my blood up.

I've done OK too - I have been lucky - of course I could tell you all a real hard luck story - but the truth is that if I'd been born with a darker skin a few thousand miles south of where I currently reside I wouldn't have 2 bits to scratch my arse with, and if I'd been born where I am now, but maybe 75 years earlier I may have perished in the Great War.

No - luck plays a much bigger part in all our lives than we care to imagine.

The 85 who own half this world just won't admit it, thats all. I wonder why  Roll Eyes ?
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:25:00 PM

@OP. You have logical flaw in your argument in the opening post.

Increased money supply is actually a bad thing for people that hold FIAT or investments that depend on the value of fiat. It is good for people/countries that have lot of debt.

Obviously this flaw doesn't change the fact that the kapitalism is sucking money from the workin folks and distributing upwards Wink

Robert Paulson

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:30:35 PM

Increased money supply is actually a bad thing for people that hold FIAT or investments that depend on the value of fiat. It is good for people/countries that have lot of debt.

Obviously this flaw doesn't change the fact that the kapitalism is sucking money from the workin folks and distributing upwards Wink

capitalism doesn't suck money out of anybody, capitalism is about trading things with one another.
every free trade is beneficial to both parties of the trade, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.
rich people are simply people who produced so much goods and services that people want that they were able to trade them for alot of money.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 08:46:17 PM

capitalism doesn't suck money out of anybody, capitalism is about trading things with one another.
every free trade is beneficial to both parties of the trade, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.
rich people are simply people who produced so much goods and services that people want that they were able to trade them for alot of money.

I was talking about the fact that capitalism is called capitalism because capital is working for you if you have it.

You don't need to produce goods or services. That is the point. Todays financial markets might have basis that creates that stuff, but the way money is made with money previously owned has nothing to do with that anymore (or atleast only remotley).

Ozziecoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 12:05:08 AM

please read my explanation on pg 1. FRB is enriching asset holders at the expense of those with no assets. If you disagree; cite evidence, not opinion.

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 01:41:58 PM

Sure.
When I stick a gun in your face and tell you to hand over your money, the proposed exchange is beneficial to both parties--I get your money and you get your life.  Win/win.

Re. ur definition of "rich people": Rich people are simply people with more money than poor people, no need to complicate things.  They are rich regardless of how said money was acquired--through production, manipulation, or theft.
If you were rich at the time I stuck my gun in your face, you are now poor [after, presumably, producing "so much goods and services"], and I am rich.
tinof

Activity: 343
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:28:05 PM

"Capitalism" means the society value capital and not labor.

Hence, people who know how to manage money get ahead of the games.

Robert Paulson

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 09:20:59 PM

Sure.
When I stick a gun in your face and tell you to hand over your money, the proposed exchange is beneficial to both parties--I get your money and you get your life.  Win/win.

Re. ur definition of "rich people": Rich people are simply people with more money than poor people, no need to complicate things.  They are rich regardless of how said money was acquired--through production, manipulation, or theft.
If you were rich at the time I stuck my gun in your face, you are now poor [after, presumably, producing "so much goods and services"], and I am rich.

i said that every free trade is beneficial to both parties.
if you rob someone by force then obviously the trade isn't free, that isn't capitalism.

please read my explanation on pg 1. FRB is enriching asset holders at the expense of those with no assets. If you disagree; cite evidence, not opinion.

i agree with you, FRB is fraud, it has nothing to do with capitalism either.
capitalism and free markets don't exist anywhere in the world today.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 10:19:46 PM

Sure.
When I stick a gun in your face and tell you to hand over your money, the proposed exchange is beneficial to both parties--I get your money and you get your life.  Win/win.

Re. ur definition of "rich people": Rich people are simply people with more money than poor people, no need to complicate things.  They are rich regardless of how said money was acquired--through production, manipulation, or theft.

i said that every free trade is beneficial to both parties.
if you rob someone by force then obviously the trade isn't free, that isn't capitalism.

You'e free to turn me down.  You might get shot, but you're free to choose [between your money and your life].
Just like you're free not to work in my factory--you might starve, but the choice is yours.
Just like you're free to leave my country if you don't like my laws--other countries might not be much different/won't take you, but you're always free to try your luck elsewhere.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: