Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:39:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Win 100 BTC by becoming the first Satoshi Superstar!  (Read 21728 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 05:16:57 PM

Emus For Bitcoins
Your eccentric, Libertarian uncle recently passed away and mentioned you in his will. You and your cousins (Contestants) are gathered together to hear the details. His emu farm was the only thing of value he left behind and your uncle made provisions to leave it to only one descendant. You must present a business plan to the executors of his estate (Judges) outlining how you would not only maintain but grow the business accepting only bitcoins as a means of payment, according to your late uncle’s wishes. Assuming that the farm is currently only breaking even but has a good line of credit at the local bank, has no assets to speak of (other than the physical property and the emus) but no significant debt either, convince the Judges that you have the best plan to honor your uncle’s memory.

Easy. Paint the emus yellow, rename the place to Chocobo Farm, set up a bitcoin selling site that calls Bitcoin Gil, watch RPG nerds flock from all over the country, sell merchandise.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 04:25:53 AM

You should probably solicit people to enter. Send them a PM telling them why you feel they would make a good contestant (I’m assuming you have already thought about how many potential contestants are out there). Seems like that would be a faster process than waiting for someone to decide they want the grand prize.

Yes, that thought has crossed my mind. I was trying to remain as impartial as possible but apparently 100 BTC isn't as enticing as I thought it would be.

I'll give it a couple of more days and then start a more aggressive campaign. Honestly, though, almost 900 page views in 72 hours and only two applicants? I'm not asking for money, people, only a little time and effort.

No, you’re not asking for money. You’re asking someone with an existing reputation as a Bitcoin “mover shaker” to invest their reputation in a game show for 100 BTC. I can see it being difficult to get contestants for that. It’s probably the reason people that have the ability to enter are asking for example questions. Mover shakers are busy people and don't have much free time to donate to the effort.

Now that would make more sense.

Actually, I'd be happier if more up-and-comers applied. This is an opportunity for an "unknown" to make an impression on a wide audience.

Now that would make more sense to me. However, lesser characters might be intimidated and not want to compete for fear of losing reputation while just starting out. Matthew is exactly the kind of person I would expect to go for this because he is very imaginative, quick-witted and has the ability to be savage if need be.

And what the hell am I? Chopped Liver, prick?  Wink

LOL - With Matthew involved, no, your what's known as: First Runner Up.

To not be FIrst Runner Up, I will lick Matthew's balls:

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 04:47:53 AM

Eww - that's nasty.

I heard they taste good, albeit a tad salty.

I proposed to edd that there should be at least one girl/woman in the Satoshi Superstar. I further suggested to him posting his request in the Newbie section to have at least one Newbie or newly Whitelisted member, at least versed in Bitcoin, as a contestant.

Thoughts?

Bruno
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 06:49:00 AM

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I was banned for being an excessive fuckwit.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 07:30:04 AM

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I was banned for being an excessive fuckwit.

They banned my entertainment. That just doesn't seem right!

What'd you do this time or will that get you banned again?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62492.0

EDIT: Looks like my messages were all but deleted.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 07:50:05 AM

That's ok. I can gather from what's left (and having followed your previous postings with relish) you were probably unkind. I’m just pissed at myself for missing it. In the future please PM me when you decide to go on a rant. LOL

I managed to save a few posts in response to the craziness that was going on there.

Basically, enter highly excitable horribly-low English proficiency user who misrepresents offer for 3 domains as being "important", "premium" and "expensive" followed by some physical threats against me for voicing my opinion about the product being sold (that's usually all it takes to turn my troll-mode on).

All was well teaching the newb a lesson in manners/presentation until he cross posted in another thread:

how much to have his teeth kicked out and you send me the video??? Huh
while you are at it please how much to ddos the magazine he edits for....?

I am glad im not the only one who hates him.....  wanker i could get more on flippa im just trying to get invlolved with the comuinty but with fuckwitts like you good luck getting new members.

Enter full-troll mode (the reason I got banned):

Are you 12?

HEy DoNt tAlK To mE ThAt WaY Or iLl dDoS YoUr bLeNdEr aMNd mY AoL PhAdEr fRiEnDs wIlL KiCk yOuR MoMs tEeTh in

Yes, my wife beat me today for wasting time on the internet explaining to people without a firm grasp of the English language why they look, sound and act like scammers.

Sure! 2 satoshis.

Pot calling the kettle black. Did you think you were original and unique? You're just another loser who makes selective judgments and can't see their own actions and how they represent themselves.

Oh, I feel much better now that a completely anonymous newbie with 18 posts who has threatened physical violence against me for voicing my opinion says that I don't need to be bothered worrying about it being a scam or not.

You don't know who I am, do you? If you knew anything about APP, you'd know TAR and GJH at KJWE and mods at POR and GaidenGuerrillaGeoAdvertising*.

(*He had basically said something ridiculous like: "YOU DONT KNOW WHO I AM? GO LOOK UP LLG AND PRT AND MODS AT NINJAMARKETING. YEAH BITCH" or something equally guido.)

I agree with the banning and perhaps it's not the best time to be trolling (with the magazine release and all), but dragons have to eat sometimes.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 08:37:22 AM

Win 100 BTC!

That’s right, the Grand Prize Winner of the Satoshi Superstars competition wins 100 BTC, along with all the bragging rights that come along with surviving the elimination rounds. Contestants must:

Oh great, it's a mildly disguised all pay auction (after all, if you stand to win 100 BTC shouldn't you pay up to 99.999 to your own voting address to win, and once two have done that shouldn't you keep on paying to minimize your loss?)  which also encourages bloating the blockchain with tiny transactions.

There is no reason to conduct a "vote" using the blockchain. In fact, doing so is a pretty poor idea because it gives miners the ability to influence the outcome by rejecting transactions.  It doesn't even secure you against manipulation, because the recipient of the vote-funds can just pay themselves (anonymously) to get whatever result they want since they're just going to get the funds back.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 10:36:36 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2012, 10:59:18 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

One more suggestion. A contestant that, at the moment (pretty sure), doesn't know a damn thing about Bitcoin. He'll have to get up to speed pretty damn quick. I have somebody in mind who has a Twitter following of 263,000 tweeps, and I may be able to sway this quasi-celebrity into entering.

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 04:16:26 AM

Frak it... I nominate myself. If the distinguished company includes Phinneas and the cylclically banned Matthew, then that's a Party I want to crash.

Plus I am eloquent, verbose, roughly twice as intelligent as the average troll on this forum.

And I am old enough to buy beer.

And I am actually working on a real application to get a real world business to accept btc.

So there.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2012, 04:20:05 AM

Frak it... I nominate myself. If the distinguished company includes Phinneas and the cylclically banned Matthew, then that's a Party I want to crash.

Plus I am eloquent, verbose, roughly twice as intelligent as the average troll on this forum.

And I am old enough to buy beer.

And I am actually working on a real application to get a real world business to accept btc.

So there.

I like your attitude. Maintain it throughout the competition (provided your accepted, which just may happen) and you're golden.
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 06:16:27 PM

So, does anyone know what the hell this is?

There are a TON of rules, and absolutely zero content.

1. What is this contest?  What are the tasks? You have given no clue what you are thinking so far.  Will contestants be solving puzzles? Competing athletically? Eating odd foods? Drinking excessively?  Writing code for the official bitcoin client? A blog-off? Posting videos (you should mention this to contestants before they apply because it requires equipment)?
2. Where is it?  What medium will it be presented in? I am assuming it is going to all take place online because it would be expensive to fly everyone together...  Are people going to be posting videos?  It seems like judges will blog, will contestants?
3. How are you going to make an exciting contest if everyone is competing remotely?

Also, your voting system is silly. 

Why are you having judges vote with satoshis?  You realize that Bitcoin is poorly suited for this use, right?  Are the contestants' addresses going to be public knowledge? Because other people will send more than 1 satoshi and completely drown out the judges, making them irrelevant.  You could give public votes more meaning if you added all vote BTC to the grand prize, but your OP states you aren't doing that. Are you expecting to turn a profit from community votes?
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 07:05:48 PM

So, does anyone know what the hell this is?

There are a TON of rules, and absolutely zero content.

1. What is this contest?  What are the tasks? You have given no clue what you are thinking so far.  Will contestants be solving puzzles? Competing athletically? Eating odd foods? Drinking excessively?  Writing code for the official bitcoin client? A blog-off? Posting videos (you should mention this to contestants before they apply because it requires equipment)?
2. Where is it?  What medium will it be presented in? I am assuming it is going to all take place online because it would be expensive to fly everyone together...  Are people going to be posting videos?  It seems like judges will blog, will contestants?
3. How are you going to make an exciting contest if everyone is competing remotely?

Also, your voting system is silly. 

Why are you having judges vote with satoshis?  You realize that Bitcoin is poorly suited for this use, right?  Are the contestants' addresses going to be public knowledge? Because other people will send more than 1 satoshi and completely drown out the judges, making them irrelevant.  You could give public votes more meaning if you added all vote BTC to the grand prize, but your OP states you aren't doing that. Are you expecting to turn a profit from community votes?

While it may seem that there are "a TON" of rules, most of them are repeated for each Round for the sake of clarity. Content should come once the contest is underway.

A sample task is given here: http://www.satoshisuperstars.com/blog/task-example/ The plan is to assign Tasks that can be accomplished with nothing more than an internet connection. Results will be posted on the site and Contestants that survive the first eliimination round will be given their own blog space.

Each "Season" will probably last several weeks, so "Entertaining" is more of a goal than "Exciting."

Judges will not be voting with satoshis. Each Judge will vote for the best Team or Contestant submission and a pre-determined amount of BTC will be disseminated equally amongst the Team members accordingly. I will be giving away 100 BTC and plan to make a profit the same way most events of this nature do - through advertising. The contest would have to be insanely popular for me to expect to make anything by asking visitors to send a fraction of a bitcent at a time.

Still around.
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 07:48:17 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2012, 08:07:18 PM by RaggedMonk

OK.  Still a bit skeptical, but starting to make sense for me, thanks.  I think clarifying some of the points you made in the preceding post in the OP would be helpful.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 10:48:48 PM

Congrats to squidroe for becoming the next Contestant in the Satoshi Superstars contest.

Once I can get some info and confirm a few details for Phinnaeus, Matthew, and Loup, and if mousepotato also decides to compete, we'll be halfway ready for the first Season!

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 11:15:07 PM

Congrats to squidroe for becoming the next Contestant in the Satoshi Superstars contest.

Once I can get some info and confirm a few details for Phinnaeus, Matthew, and Loup, and if mousepotato also decides to compete, we'll be halfway ready for the first Season!

Yep! I'm almost a contestant. I was able to fine 97 strands of 14" long red hair, but still having problems with obtaining a 1953 Peter Pan jar with original lid.  Grin

~Bruno~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 12:20:52 PM

Found a 1953 Peter Pan jar, sans the lid. I now hope edd adds be to the list of contestants. My bio should prove to be an interesting read.

~Bruno~
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:09:35 PM

Found a 1953 Peter Pan jar, sans the lid. I now hope edd adds be to the list of contestants. My bio should prove to be an interesting read.

~Bruno~

Well, I did say I would be lenient in accepting applicants for the first season.  Wink

Phinnaeus and LoupGaroux are now "officially" Satoshi Superstars Contestants.

I've also received another application and should have the name added to the list shortly. Things are moving now!

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:27:46 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 05:55:29 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Well, I did say I would be lenient in accepting applicants for the first season.

I know what you mean. But having Matthew "Lurch" McWright in the contest should make it rather ? (shame there's no word in the English language that would complete this sentence).

~Bruno~

PS: Thank you including me in your contest. Now that others of seen that I'm entered, you should be overwhelmed with applications.

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:53:57 PM

Well, I did say I would be lenient in accepting applicants for the first season.

I know what you mean. But having Matthew "Lurch" McWright in the contest should make it rather ? (shame there's no word in the English language that would complete this sentence).

~Bruno~

PS: Thank you including me in your contest. Now that others of seen that I'm entered, you should be overwhelmed with applications.

I haven't heard back from Matthew after his initial expression of interest in competing. Maybe you scared him off, Phinnaeus.  Cheesy

In other news, The Founder has joined our quickly growing list of contestants.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:55:56 PM

~Bruno~

I haven't heard back from Matthew after his initial expression of interest in competing. Maybe you scared him off, Phinnaeus.  Cheesy

In other news, The Founder has joined our quickly growing list of contestants.

See what I mean? The Founder is now among the ranks. I still would love to see a woman, a newbie, and a contestant not currently versed in Bitcoin but sincerely shows a desire to climb aboard. Add Matthew and stir, and we have...

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: