Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:23:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a user friendly Bitcoin light wallet besides multi bit ?  (Read 1389 times)
reRaise (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:32:49 PM

The original takes too much space is there a light wallet besides multi bit since i heard it has a bug. Or any idea how much space the original wallet takes since i'm used to that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:34:45 PM

I've migrated completely off my computer to my smart phone and cold storage. Mycelium works great for storing coin and also spending from paper wallets.

reRaise (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:38:46 PM

I've migrated completely off my computer to my smart phone and cold storage. Mycelium works great for storing coin and also spending from paper wallets.

Is mycelium new or something didn't heard of it, basically i want to buy Bitcoin send to my wallet and send o an exchange, but first want to send it to my wallet so need something simple like the original, do you know how much space the bitcoin-qt takes?
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:41:00 PM

Is mycelium new or something didn't heard of it, basically i want to buy Bitcoin send to my wallet and send o an exchange, but first want to send it to my wallet so need something simple like the original, do you know how much space the bitcoin-qt takes?

Bitcoin QT takes up a ton of space, which is 17 GB right now.

I suggest >Electrum.
birr

Merit: 584

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:19:45 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2016, 11:59:07 AM by birr

Bitcoin QT takes up a ton of space, which is 17 GB right now.
I suggest >Electrum.
Dude says he wants to use a phone.
Electrum was a p.i.t.a. to install on my android device.
I use an android tablet (Nexus 7), which doesn't come with java python.  Installing Electrum was a very involved process, and I didn't even succeed on my own.  A computer expert friend of mine had to do it for me.
If you have a device that has java python, it would be much easier.

To import a private key or spend from cold storage, mycelium is the best.  Bring up a qr code of the private key and point the phone at it.  I don't think you can do that with other wallets.

I boot my laptop from a live linux usb, open bitaddress.org offline, and type in my brainwallet passphrase.  That brings up the qr codes for the address and key.  Then I get my tablet with mycelium on it and point it at the qr code for the private key.  In mycelium you can import the key, which gives you access to the entire contents of the brainwallet/cold storage, or you can do a partial spend from it.
You sacrifice some privacy with partial spends, and you also sacrifice some security because the spend exposes your public key, which has less entropy than the address does; it also exposes prng vulnerabilities which don't exist otherwise.

NOTE:  Mycelium does not have its own child board under "Alternative Clients," but it does have a very active thread on that board which is now about 35 pages long, with lots of good information.
You should go there and have a look.
xsmoffx

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:15:01 PM

I also wonder about that 'myceliem' . Is that a new wallet or what?
kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:49:52 PM

Download the android wallet Mycelium from the Google Play Store or directly at mycelium.com.
Read about it here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293472.0
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:51:50 PM

If you're talking about using it on your computer, I suggest electrum.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:47:24 AM

Sorry, I stepped away from the forum for a day.. (I'm slacking off!) Idk how new it is, I've had it on my phone for a few months now. It's for android devices and you get it on the Play Store.
They are constantly adding improvements. It's a wallet, not an online front end like Blockchain, so the coins you send to it are on the device. It has an excellent backup system and it will tell you if you haven't backed up yet. You can add multiple addresses, you can send addresses to archive or have them active.
The fact that you can spend from a cold storage paper wallet without having to sweep the wallet is nice. Just scan a paper wallet, spend how much you want, and it will not keep record of the private key. Put the paper wallet away again before a drone sees it and you're cool.

Another thing I like about it is that you can add watch only addresses to your total wallet amount. So I can see how many bitcoins I have total, even though I only keep about one bitcoin on the actual phone, the rest on paper wallets and Casasius bars. Definitely the best wallet in my opinion.

That being said, I still run QT on my desktop just to add a node to the network, even though I don't keep coins on it.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:17:39 AM

[...]

What fryarminer said, +

It's not new. It's been around formerly know as Bitcoin-Spinner. Latest addition is a trading platform similar to Localbitcoins, without having to trust a third part with your coins though.

Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293472.0

The app is open source: https://github.com/mycelium-com/wallet

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:56:34 AM

Yeah Mycelium is great for the android phones. One thing I would like to point out with it is that if you plan on having multiple addresses your Mycelium app make sure to create a bunch of keys before going through the hassle of creating the backup. The backup can contain multiple keys, but you don't want to have to create a new backup every single time you make a new address.

You also have to write down the password that is given to you in the app, you will NEVER see that password in Mycelium again and a paper backup without the correct password is useless. And the final tip is that the Mycelium passwords are all letters, even though their "O" looks like a number zero "0"

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
birr

Merit: 584

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:06:32 AM

A lot of people like to generate their own keys instead of using the key(s) generated in the wallet.  Some people generate addresses in Armory and import them into mycelium for mobile use.
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 06:16:44 AM

Which platform(s) are you using?

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: