Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:11:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Roadways...  (Read 4464 times)
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:47:46 PM

Solar panels are extremely expensive and requires frequent maintenance. Compared to other forms of energy, solar power is many times more expensive, and there for unsuitable for the roads. Unless these demerits can be solved, this project will not succeed.

what is your choice for alternative energy?

and i think solar roads is kind of ridiculous considering the amount of maintenance work that needs to be done. and what about when there's traffic? cars will block the panels which will decrease efficiency.

i don't know about you guys, but in my area if you get solar powered panels.. you still have to pay your utilities company $5-10 a month. it seems like edison lobbied for congress to force solar panel users to be legally required to have edison's grid connect to your home.

+ tires will leave tracks on the road blocking even more sunlight

btw, it has a lot of flaws, but why the hell not
I mean, people already surpassed the goal, it's going good and it's not polluting..

why not? well, because it might be better to pursue a different option... one where rubber tires are not always trampling over your panels. it would require a hell of a lot of financial assistance from government, and i really doubt they will play along considering the energy industry probably bankrolls hundreds of millions into washington.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:39:39 AM

Solar panels are extremely expensive and requires frequent maintenance. Compared to other forms of energy, solar power is many times more expensive, and there for unsuitable for the roads. Unless these demerits can be solved, this project will not succeed.

what is your choice for alternative energy?

and i think solar roads is kind of ridiculous considering the amount of maintenance work that needs to be done. and what about when there's traffic? cars will block the panels which will decrease efficiency.

i don't know about you guys, but in my area if you get solar powered panels.. you still have to pay your utilities company $5-10 a month. it seems like edison lobbied for congress to force solar panel users to be legally required to have edison's grid connect to your home.

+ tires will leave tracks on the road blocking even more sunlight

btw, it has a lot of flaws, but why the hell not
I mean, people already surpassed the goal, it's going good and it's not polluting..

why not? well, because it might be better to pursue a different option... one where rubber tires are not always trampling over your panels. it would require a hell of a lot of financial assistance from government, and i really doubt they will play along considering the energy industry probably bankrolls hundreds of millions into washington.

After Solyndra they might be a little gun shy about suspect green businesses. At least one would hope. Of course common sense is almost non existent in "the district" so you never know.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:56:23 AM

Slightly off-topic...  but everyone should read this before supporting any form of solar energy.

beetcoin

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:11:55 AM

Slightly off-topic...  but everyone should read this before supporting any form of solar energy.

sometimes it's not just about cost. sometimes it's about the rising climate and how it affects the planet we live on. that's actually much more important than making people extremely rich. at least to me.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:33:14 AM

sometimes it's not just about cost. sometimes it's about the rising climate and how it affects the planet we live on. that's actually much more important than making people extremely rich. at least to me.

OK.. then let's compare wind energy with solar energy. Wind energy is about 3 times cheaper when compared to solar energy. What makes you think that solar energy should be preferred over wind energy?
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:41:34 AM

Is the one of the most vaporware ideas ever to grace our planet.

One might say it's the vapouriest vapor to ever vape.

No government municipal, state or federal would ever invest in such an expensive project. The use cases that roads go through are insane and just maintaining asphalt is a ton of work.
niothor

Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:18:33 PM

Slightly off-topic...  but everyone should read this before supporting any form of solar energy.

You should really add a graph with nuclear power also

Solar energy it's just a new hype , let's be the jetson family , nothing more.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=619852.20
Topic: Solar Freak'n Panel Roadways!!!! Awesome Indiegogo Project, LETS SUPPORT IT!!

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:47:43 PM

I wanted to add one, but couldn't get any. Anyway.. thanks for posting the graph.

This is exactly why I prefer nuclear power plants. They are:

1. Environmentally friendly (no Greenhouse gas emissions, no coal mining and destruction of the terrain.etc).
2. They are affordable. (I have seen people posting here that they won't mind paying $0.25 per KWh, but trust me, most of the world population wouldn't be able to afford electricity at such rates).
3. There are enough Uranium deposits to provide electricity for everyone in this world for more than a thousand years, unlike coal or gas.
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:53:56 PM

When we talk about nuclear energy we should also remeber that there are two types fusion or fission,

With the amount spent on solar and wind equipment we could have developed by now a fusion plant with deuterium as a energy source that would wipe away the fears of nuclear waste or accidents.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:00:50 PM

I wanted to add one, but couldn't get any. Anyway.. thanks for posting the graph.

1. Environmentally friendly (no Greenhouse gas emissions, no coal mining and destruction of the terrain.etc).
2. They are affordable. (I have seen people posting here that they won't mind paying $0.25 per KWh, but trust me, most of the world population wouldn't be able to afford electricity at such rates).
3. There are enough Uranium deposits to provide electricity for everyone in this world for more than a thousand years, unlike coal or gas.

True. Except I heard that some of the same environmentalists that push solar and wind also despise nuclear energy. Paid by energy companies much?
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:36:06 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power would be a be a better place to spend money

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:43:27 PM

With the amount spent on solar and wind equipment we could have developed by now a fusion plant with deuterium as a energy source that would wipe away the fears of nuclear waste or accidents.

Have to disagree with you on that. A large number of nuclear fission reactors are operating in the world right now, but nuclear fusion is a bit more complicated. So far no one has come up with a viable methodology to produce electricity cheaply from nuclear fusion. The current fusion reactors exist only for demo purposes.
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:00:21 PM

Have to disagree with you on that. A large number of nuclear fission reactors are operating in the world right now, but nuclear fusion is a bit more complicated. So far no one has come up with a viable methodology to produce electricity cheaply from nuclear fusion. The current fusion reactors exist only for demo purposes.

If all the money that as poured into solar and wind energy would have gone to development on nuclear fusion things would have improved a lot.

But of course there are lots of people not so happy about plants producing solar panels shutting down.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
ShibaWow

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 09:11:17 PM

wind turbines don't pollute, hydro power doesn't either (altough there are some negative effects), let's stick to wind Cheesy

Wind energy is about 3 times cheaper when compared to solar energy.

your graph says 2x Cheesy

nuclear power plants are enviromentally friendly, am I missing something?

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:02:08 PM

wind turbines don't pollute, hydro power doesn't either (altough there are some negative effects), let's stick to wind Cheesy

Wind energy is about 3 times cheaper when compared to solar energy.

your graph says 2x Cheesy

We need to solve the waste disposal problem for sure but other than that it is actually very cheap green energy. Technology and smart people will solve the disposal issue if governments get out of the way. 

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:16:02 AM

I am not a big supporter of hydro-power. Hydropower generation requires large dams and reservoirs, which flood millions of acres of forest land, adn there by disrupting the original ecology.

IMO, nuclear power plants are environmentally friendly. With the advancement of technology, new methods for the waste disposal are being developed.
ShibaWow

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 07:48:51 PM

I am not a big supporter of hydro-power. Hydropower generation requires large dams and reservoirs, which flood millions of acres of forest land, adn there by disrupting the original ecology.

IMO, nuclear power plants are environmentally friendly. With the advancement of technology, new methods for the waste disposal are being developed.

as Ron said there is the disposal issue while with wind turbines there is not

JohnnyLightning

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:43:56 PM

It's innovative, but I predict blackouts during rush hour.  Roll Eyes

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 12:35:17 AM

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#home

beetcoin

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 12:47:47 AM

sheesh, 2 million... some people just wanna donate without vetting and thinking where their money goes. i already have enough trouble donating to "children in need" for fear that it's some sort of scam.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: