Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:47:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: attempted manipulation FAIL  (Read 2084 times)
old_engineer (OP)

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:34:36 AM

I wasn't following the action especially closely, so please correct me if I missed something, but it seemed like an attempted manipulation failed miserably today.

The attempted manipulator:
1) sold ~20k btc from $6.13 down to $5.72
2) placed buy order for 20k btc at $5.70, likely to try to catch liquidations and restock their bitcoin holdings
3) placed sell order for 10k at $5.96, likely to try to drive price down

But instead of getting to rebuy their bitcoins for cheaper, there were no (or insignificant) liquidations, and the selloff was met with a collective yawn: no panic selling, the price didn't go down, and not even a speculation thread about the selloff.

And then, 3 hrs after the 10k sell wall was placed, someone just bought the wall.  So the attempted manipulator now has an additional ~$175k in cash now, and 30k fewer bitcoins.  If they wanted to buy back into the market, they'd have to drive the price up to $6.50, and would have 5% fewer bitcoins than they had earlier in the day.

This is what market stability and maturity looks like.  Nice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:38:57 AM

sold into a market that is going upwards, with clear sign..

Was a poor trade..  or someone needed money.

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:39:09 AM

good times  Cheesy

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 04:48:05 AM

ya i had the same thought

he might be forced into buying back higher, Weeeee!  Cheesy

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:50:44 AM

Manipulation of The Manipulator!

Even if it's not him, it still sounds good.  Wink

teflone

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:52:28 AM

or was an attempted starfish killing, was a stab at triggering a cascade of liquidations over at Glasstableoinica

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
old_engineer (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:53:15 AM

The fact that the buy wall was put up nearly simultaneously at $5.70 indicates to me that it was an attempt at a rebuy-for-cheaper, not a selloff because they needed the money.

It's not like all manipulation is bound to fail from now on; rather, what's been shown is that you need deeper pockets than 30k btc/$175k USD in order to pull it off.
teflone

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:56:13 AM

The fact that the buy wall was put up nearly simultaneously at $5.70 indicates to me that it was an attempt at a rebuy-for-cheaper, not a selloff because they needed the money.

It's not like all manipulation is bound to fail from now on; rather, what's been shown is that you need deeper pockets than 30k btc/$175k USD in order to pull it off.

Yeah your right looking at the position change..

Its just a very very very poor time to try it..

My only tip to everyone is to look at the macd on the last 30 days...   

This is all s3052 is doing too..

Also an inverted reversal, clear signs of going to the upside...

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 04:59:33 AM

The Manipulator has apparently pulled a meelba and manipulated Himself Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
teflone

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 05:00:20 AM

The Manipulator has apparently pulled a meelba and manipulated Himself Grin

I love Melba toast!   

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 05:08:53 AM

I hope he's doing more than that, for my 5 BTC / month  Grin

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
teflone

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 05:31:39 AM

I hope he's doing more than that, for my 5 BTC / month  Grin

There is going to be explosions from bitcoinica, semi decent ones for once with a few dumps to test the waters and a bit more volatility than needed.
It will interesting in the next couple weeks and days..

old_engineer (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 06:56:07 AM

There is going to be explosions from bitcoinica, semi decent ones for once with a few dumps to test the waters and a bit more volatility than needed.
It will interesting in the next couple weeks and days.

Hmm, I seriously doubt there will be a long squeeze.  I think most of the bitcoinica long positions were taken when the price was in the $5.6 to $5.8 range the past week.  Even at 5-1 leverage, price would have to drop to ~$4.7 to start the squeeze, which would take over 100k btc.

Also, it looks to me like at least one player has $175k USD on hand and wants to buy into the market.  If you went short on the starfish, I'd close out now while the market is still under $6.
teflone

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 07:05:45 AM

Hmm, I seriously doubt there will be a long squeeze.  I think most of the bitcoinica long positions were taken when the price was in the $5.6 to $5.8 range the past week.  Even at 5-1 leverage, price would have to drop to ~$4.7 to start the squeeze, which would take over 100k btc.

Also, it looks to me like at least one player has $175k USD on hand and wants to buy into the market.  If you went short on the starfish, I'd close out now while the market is still under $6.

Yes, I would not be going short right now, no way, no how...

legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 02:03:49 PM

What is meelba was zhoutong?  Shocked

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 03:03:55 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2012, 03:15:09 PM by proudhon

Hmm, I seriously doubt there will be a long squeeze.  I think most of the bitcoinica long positions were taken when the price was in the $5.6 to $5.8 range the past week.  Even at 5-1 leverage, price would have to drop to ~$4.7 to start the squeeze, which would take over 100k btc.

Also, it looks to me like at least one player has $175k USD on hand and wants to buy into the market.  If you went short on the starfish, I'd close out now while the market is still under $6.

Suit yourself.  As for me I'm following the only reliable indicator there is - starfish.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
teflone

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 06:05:47 PM

Hmm, I seriously doubt there will be a long squeeze.  I think most of the bitcoinica long positions were taken when the price was in the $5.6 to $5.8 range the past week.  Even at 5-1 leverage, price would have to drop to ~$4.7 to start the squeeze, which would take over 100k btc.

Also, it looks to me like at least one player has $175k USD on hand and wants to buy into the market.  If you went short on the starfish, I'd close out now while the market is still under $6.

Suit yourself.  As for me I'm following the only reliable indicator there is - starfish.

Yeah, I know, there will be some nice dips for you to take advantage of from marginoica, but its going up mid term nicely..

I dont trade on mtgox right now, and my exchange dosent move fast enough to warrant a sell to go short, not enough volume.

And when I sell, it takes days to fill it back in.

So Im just staying coin for the mid term, this will be one of the only times I wont take advantage of the starfish..

or at least not to the extent I used to.  Wink

Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 06:28:25 PM

it's like everything in life, 80% of manipulaters fail at manipulating
teflone

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 06:59:00 PM

it's like everything in life, 80% of manipulaters fail at manipulating

60 percent of the time, it works everytime...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLq2-uZd5LY

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: