Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:02:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Feels like I am screaming "get off the beach" before a tsunami but no one cares  (Read 5750 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:31:28 AM

Remember that not everyone reading your comment gives it a rating. In fact most don't since I assume you have to have an MSNBC account to do that. Several people may have been inspired to do some bitcoin research because of your comment. My mother-in-law likes to say "ignore ignoramuses."

You don't need an account.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:31:36 AM

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.  People really don't like change so anything new does not seem important to them.  But I often feel like I telling so many people around me about Bitcoin and how they really should buy just a little or at least read about it and look into and and almost everyone ignores me.

Here is one example: Just this week I posted a comment on this article about the growing perils of a cashless society and my comment about how Bitcoin could solve some of these problems is now the "worst" comment with no thumbs up and all thumbs down!  Really!?  I don't know why that bothers me so much.  Sigh.  Oh well.  I guess I have to be thankful that I will be "up the hill" when the tsunami does hit.  

Here is the article BTW:

http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/the-growing-perils-of-a-cashless-society

Why view it as a Tsunami that you have to be out of harms way from?

How about more of a "Missing the Boat" analogy?   Theyre missing the boat to potential riches, and they'll be kicking themselves in 5 years when they look back and see Bitcoin sat at $440 for several months. That's how I view those who ignore me right now.

I don't think some horrible armageddon is going to come that I will be saved from.   Reality doesn't happen that way.  Just like Obama never was really going to "Destroy America", the "Crash of the US Dollar" probably wont happen.  At least not as suddenly and dramatically as people predict.   Doomsday prophesies are always wrong.  

Perhaps the tsunami analogy is a bit extreme.  I didn't say it was the correct way to feel.  I just want people, especially friends of mine, to be able to reap the rewards of Bitcoin by getting involved now, so yes, "missing the boat" is a little better.  

And I am not one of those that think that the US dollar will totally collapse.  I think it will be a gradual decline, like it already has been, and people will just not realize that they are losing value day to day.  It will be more like the "frog in the pot" analogy where they don't even realize that the water is getting hotter and hotter.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
cryptopaths

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Crypto Knight

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:31:56 AM

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.  People really don't like change so anything new does not seem important to them.  But I often feel like I telling so many people around me about Bitcoin and how they really should buy just a little or at least read about it and look into and and almost everyone ignores me.

Here is one example: Just this week I posted a comment on this article about the growing perils of a cashless society and my comment about how Bitcoin could solve some of these problems is now the "worst" comment with no thumbs up and all thumbs down!  Really!?  I don't know why that bothers me so much.  Sigh.  Oh well.  I guess I have to be thankful that I will be "up the hill" when the tsunami does hit.  

Here is the article BTW:

http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/the-growing-perils-of-a-cashless-society

Why view it as a Tsunami that you have to be out of harms way from?

How about more of a "Missing the Boat" analogy?   Theyre missing the boat to potential riches, and they'll be kicking themselves in 5 years when they look back and see Bitcoin sat at $440 for several months. That's how I view those who ignore me right now.

I don't think some horrible armageddon is going to come that I will be saved from.   Reality doesn't happen that way.  Just like Obama never was really going to "Destroy America", the "Crash of the US Dollar" probably wont happen.  At least not as suddenly and dramatically as people predict.   Doomsday prophesies are always wrong.  

The irony of your last statement is hilarious.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 01:42:31 AM

linking the bell curve of bitcoin's adoption with IQ points makes me cringe.. almost everything statistically follows the bell curve. i think that's a stretch.
It's just a theory. No need to cringe, far better to test the theory against your own observations. You may be surprised at what you find.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 01:42:55 AM

Don't frustrate yourself, OP. Everyone will come around in time, all you can do is wait. Be patient.

Imagine how someone as smart as Satoshi must feel about society. Frustrated, I imagine, since I am - and I'm no Satoshi.

Being exceptionally intelligent is a curse as much as a blessing.

My husband, who is pretty smart if I say so myself, said that he read that there have been studies that we can only have intelligent and meaningful discussions with people within 30 IQ points of ourselves.  So being at the top of the curve can be very difficult because there are less people in the world to relate too.

I have heard that the most successful people in the world (as far as how the "world" defines success) are those with IQs around 120.  They can relate to the most people.  

So until Bitcoin becomes "user friendly" and there is a way the 100 IQ people can use it without perhaps even realizing they are doing so, it might be pointless to say much, especially on places like the comment sections of MSN. Wink  

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:01:49 AM

linking the bell curve of bitcoin's adoption with IQ points makes me cringe.. almost everything statistically follows the bell curve. i think that's a stretch.
It's just a theory. No need to cringe, far better to test the theory against your own observations. You may be surprised at what you find.

it seems like a tool to paint someone as "not worthy of your intelligence." that you and the people who you think are like you are on some higher plane of intelligence or status. there are many angles of intelligence, and IQ tests alone are not sufficient.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:03:29 AM

it seems like a tool to paint someone as "not worthy of your intelligence." that you and the people who you think are like you are on some higher plane of intelligence or status.

IQ is also a terrible way to measure intelligence. I don't have a better one , but that doesn't make this one any better.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:08:08 AM

it seems like a tool to paint someone as "not worthy of your intelligence." that you and the people who you think are like you are on some higher plane of intelligence or status.

IQ is also a terrible way to measure intelligence. I don't have a better one , but that doesn't make this one any better.

interesting thing to me is that people with higher IQ tend to be more cynical/depressed. if you're so absolutely smart, then why do you choose to make yourself miserable?

funny thing is that i found the bell curve pic at this link http://www.cracked.com/article_19174_5-unexpected-downsides-high-intelligence_p2.html
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:14:16 AM

I actually think it makes sense.  The funny thing is that the innovators are probably "way out there" in intelligence.  It does not have to be measured in "IQ" necessarily but I find many of the people on this forum that have been around for a couple of years to be really smart. 

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:24:27 AM

I actually think it makes sense.  The funny thing is that the innovators are probably "way out there" in intelligence.  It does not have to be measured in "IQ" necessarily but I find many of the people on this forum that have been around for a couple of years to be really smart. 

It's the combination of intelligent, contrarian and libertarian which is most frequently found here (especially if you look at the build up of this board >1 year ago).
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:26:12 AM

I suspect a strong correlation between that graph and this one:

Yes , both follow the bell shape, which is a "normal" or "Gaussian" distribution.
Lots of interesting math with application to statistics and probability.

And yes, it can be frustrating sometimes to be smart while others don't seem to get things.
In my experience, trying to educate and convince others rarely is fruitful.  Bitcoin, though,
seems to be gaining momentum anyway, probably because it's benefits are too great to
ignore and it can mesh with many different cultures and viewpoints.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:31:04 AM

....we can only have intelligent and meaningful discussions with people within 30 IQ points of ourselves....

I have heard that the most successful people in the world (as far as how the "world" defines success) are those with IQs around 120.  They can relate to the most people.  

That is very interesting....good info, thx for sharing that!  I agree there are some really great minds here.  It can also be frustrating trying to keep up with some of the technical conversations that require intimate knowledge of the bitcoin codebase,cryptography,etc...even if one is intelligent.

Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:06:01 AM

So what part of the adoption scale are we?
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 03:19:29 AM

I had started to feel that way about real estate in 07 (it wasn't a popular opinion to have at the time)

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 04:50:11 AM

I would say late innovators area but that is just a wild guess. I have no idea what percentage of the population is active in bit coin.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:36:52 AM

I would say late innovators area but that is just a wild guess. I have no idea what percentage of the population is active in bit coin.
Early adopters I reckon.

Innovators typically get involved in bitcoin for tech reasons.  Now we are at the point where people are getting in for utility of bitcoin and its potential returns as an investment.

I know that motives are not what defines an innovator from an early adopter, but it is a decent indicator in the lack of actual adoption stats
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:03:06 AM

People are scared of change and things they don't understand.   Roll Eyes

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 08:26:58 AM

and that is also the reason why you can't give out presents later. Wait for the envy. Better don't tell people who much exactly you are holding. Most people are scum and loosers. I also told many people to look into it. All i get is cold shoulder and envy later so fuck them.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:01:39 AM

Early adopters I reckon.

Innovators typically get involved in bitcoin for tech reasons.  Now we are at the point where people are getting in for utility of bitcoin and its potential returns as an investment.

I know that motives are not what defines an innovator from an early adopter, but it is a decent indicator in the lack of actual adoption stats

Definitely early adopters. This is analogous to pre-IPO companies. The ETF will mark the transition to innovators.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 10:10:18 AM

Have you read "Atlas Shrugged"?

It may change your viewpoint on trying to save everyone.

Focus on your family and those you care about. For those that are digging their heals into a system based around failure...you have to let them go. They are bad for Bitcoin in the long run anyway (see the people calling for regulation now).

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: