Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:03:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unnecessary Moving and Splitting of Technical Discussions  (Read 450 times)
ChuckOne (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 11:20:54 PM

As a concerned member of this forum, I wrote this message to gmaxwell:

Dear gmaxwell,

I would like to request an explanation on the issue of moved topic 622440 and split topic 27787=>615843 from you as you are the moderator of the original board of these discussion "Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Development & Technical Discussion".

The issue is the following. It seems unnecessary and disturbing to remove technical discussions from the board "Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Development & Technical Discussion". In the following, I will outline several problems with this action.

1) Considering helpful explanations for those who seek solutions on various problems of Bitcoin, these discussions are valuable additions to the cryptocurrency ecosystem.

2) Furthermore, this action will make further investigation of the discussed material impractical, considering the fact that the new Board "Bitcoin Forum > Other > Alternate cryptocurrencies" is highly dynamic and does not satisfy the requirements of having high quality responses from well-known and experienced members of this forum.

3) No notifications were sent to any of the discussions' participants which further impedes continuation of the discussions.

Sincerely,
ChuckOne

PS: I am concerned. I really hope you do not wish to harm the cryptocurrency community by censoring discussions deemed unnecessary by whoever declared them as such.

That was gmaxwell's response:

The subforum is about _BITCOIN_ technical discussions, not alternative cryptocurrencies. This has always been the rule there since the alternative cryptocurrency subforum existed.   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622440 was very clearly about NXT.

I understand that you are excited about NXT and eager to promote it, but Please don't continue to post about NXT in that subforum. It is offtopic there and these posts will be moved.

Fortunately its just over in another subforum which anyone can access with a couple clicks.

First of all, I find it somewhat irritating that he did not responded to any of my points.

Second, the discussions have been ended abruptly and will not be continued as the reviewers are unable re-find them. Even others expressed their confusion about why the discussions have been removed or even been deleted. People start to wonder if BitcoinTalk moderation starts to censor posts and threads for whatever reason they might have. I am concerned that this situation could hurt the cryptocurrency community as a whole and would therefore appreciate a thought-through explanation on why

1) a clearly technical discussion, on which experienced Bitcoin members already expressed valuable thoughts, concerns, opinions and interest on that topic, was removed from "Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Development & Technical Discussion"?

2) discussing a general concept (as Economic Clustering) that could be adopted by Bitcoin, Litecoin, Nxt, etc. and is therefore of broader interest for the entire cryptocurrency community shall be conducted in "Bitcoin Forum > Other > Alternate cryptocurrencies"? The discussion was planned to be about the concept Economic Clustering not about Nxt or any other cryptocurrency in particular.

From a subject-specific point of view, "Bitcoin Forum > Other > Alternate cryptocurrencies" is inadequate for receiving mature reviews. If not "Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Development & Technical Discussion" is the right board for such discussion, where is it then?

Third, the removal and the split occurred silently without any further notification of the discussions' participants. As expressed above, various members find this rather irritating as this would make following the discussion impractical. Is there a way to make such action more visible to the participants?

Regards,
ChuckOne

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:33:28 AM

sneak it in somewhere else not on his turf, and keep altcurrency mentions to a minimum. no it's not satisfactory, but if the discussion is serious enough, people seem to get a bye elsewhere

share your irritation that split topics aren't notified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=591440.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: