Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:57:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Iran hangs billionaire over bank fraud  (Read 1875 times)
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:43:24 AM

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.592510

i don't know if i quite believe in capital punishment, but it's at least nice to for once see a wealthy person live by the same rule of law as the commonfolk.

dmpotter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:45:55 AM

I don't mind when capitol punishment is used in charges of murder/homicide. Death for white collar crimes is way overboard, imo.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:48:38 AM

I don't mind when capitol punishment is used in charges of murder/homicide. Death for white collar crimes is way overboard, imo.

iran is one of the five countries that kills its own people more than the U.S. does, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

this kind of harsh punishment could be a great way of deterring billionaires with a lot of influence and power from doing the bad shit they do.. unlike in the U.S., where it's nearly impossible to go to jail if you're a wealthy banker or magnate.
GoofyUK

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:52:45 AM

imo living in a country like Iran while being a billionaire is pretty stoopid lol
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:44:15 AM

imo living in a country like Iran while being a billionaire is pretty stoopid lol

not really. all you need is to be buddies with people in their government. make sure your "business model" includes them, and there's a good chance you will be safe.
dotcom

Activity: 354

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 03:56:20 AM

i don't know if i quite believe in capital punishment, but it's at least nice to for once see a wealthy person live by the same rule of law as the commonfolk.

I don't know why people think capital punishment is less civilized than locking people in cages until they submit. The first is the most natural thing in the world, two forces oppose each other and one moves forward. The second forces blind submission without opposition, making it so even the force that wins is not the better for it. Additionally, the latter makes it far too easy for people to lock up others for lifestyle choices or minor scuffles (since in the eyes of the public, it's not punishment it's 'rehabilitation').

IMO there is nothing more civilized than execution or exile justice. Leave people to deal with their own shit. If someone commits an act that creates such a grievance with the locals that they want him gone, then get him gone, one way or the other.

unlike in the U.S., where it's nearly impossible to go to jail if you're a wealthy banker or magnate.

The only time a wealthy person goes to jail in the U.S. is when they piss off enough other wealthy people (but ofcourse that's true in most countries).

Light/No sentences for white collar crimes is why rich people keep doing them...blatantly...sometimes publicly....and then shrugging it off when they get caught.

Unless it's home :2
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 04:22:38 AM

Iran hangs a billionaire who stole $2.6 billion, while in Japan we have a fat a$$ who has stolen $500 million, and is still enjoying his life by partying 24-hours a day and moving from one five-star hotel to another.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 04:29:30 AM

It's an interesting issue.  Killing the fraudster in a case like this is a way of the government "saving face".

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 04:52:03 AM

I'm against the death penalty in any case. Many deserve it, but we as a society don't deserve to be forced to lower our selfs to the standards of cold blood killers that organize and premeditate an assassination for years just to inflict retribution.

I am in favor of imposing the death penalty more frequently. If someone commits heinous crimes, he should be executed without delay. Much better option than granting him a taxpayer-funded vacation for many decades.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 05:13:23 AM

for all the ancaps here who are pro capital punishment.. isn't that a conflict? the government is the one who decides who dies and who lives.
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 04:36:43 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2014, 04:49:21 PM by Trading

My point wasn't about how long takes to premeditate the condemnation and execution of someone. If killing a criminal by revenge is wrong, the fact that the revenge is done by the government doesn't change a thing. I don't want cold blood murder to be done in my name.
Besides, I wouldn't like to live in a country where the State has absolute power over me and only needs a good pretext to kill me. One only needs to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and be confused by one or two scared witness. The next in line might be you or one of the people you care about. How many were acquitted after years on the death row by ADN evidence, only on rape/murder cases?

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:17:15 PM

Apparently it's more than that, I think there treason involved in this, because there is no law being it Islamic or civil unless I missed something that give capital punishment for theft he would would have his hand cut.

I don't agree with capital punishment and I don't want this guy to be killed no matter what deed he've done, he should get 25 years of prison or even more, but if the guy is really guilty it is nice to see that some billionaires does get punishment and not getting away with it
kerafym

Activity: 224

THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:20:10 PM

As it should be.

S P 8 D E        ♠       THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.       ♠         READ WHITEPAPER       
    TOKENS        A DECENTRALIZED PLATFORM FOR GAMING DAPPS        ROADMAP   
ANN THREAD       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       YOUTUBE       MEDIUM       REDDIT
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 08:08:54 PM

now what happens to the billions? It is possible he got hanged simply because he owned this much money

beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 09:40:45 PM

Apparently it's more than that, I think there treason involved in this, because there is no law being it Islamic or civil unless I missed something that give capital punishment for theft he would would have his hand cut.

I don't agree with capital punishment and I don't want this guy to be killed no matter what deed he've done, he should get 25 years of prison or even more, but if the guy is really guilty it is nice to see that some billionaires does get punishment and not getting away with it

as previously mentioned, this guy could have been singled out to take the fall.. which is fucked up, because in order for that kind of fraud to occur, multiple people have had to cooperate.. and those exact people get off scott free, also while ratting one guy out.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:50:47 PM

as previously mentioned, this guy could have been singled out to take the fall.. which is fucked up, because in order for that kind of fraud to occur, multiple people have had to cooperate.. and those exact people get off scott free, also while ratting one guy out.

from OP article, 39 people were judged, it just happen that the guy is a billionair that's why the news is more axed around him
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 01:44:01 AM

now what happens to the billions? It is possible he got hanged simply because he owned this much money

His billions will go to his family, i.e to the wife and the children. No. He wasn't executed because he was rich. He was hanged for stealing $2.6 billion from the government funds. The difference between the US and Iran is that, rich people can't bribe themselves out of court cases in Iran.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:21:34 AM

I believe that this attitude is a result of generations of training (largely driven by white-collar types.)  Fact is, most white-collar crime results in massive levels of suffering spread across many individuals while most run-of-the-mill crime is very limited in this respect.  If anything white-collar types should get even more harsh sentences for their crimes than common thugs for this reason.  At least that's the way I see it intellectually, though I have the same bias as everyone else so it's a strain to believe this.  One way or another, harsher punishments for white-collar crime would make it less common.  And as with anyone, if you can't do the time don't do the crime, and pretty much all white-collar folks have the mental ability to understand the fallout from their activities.  It bothers me greatly that these white collar guys go to minimum security places (for part of the week.)

Actually, one white collar guy who did hard time in the fed pen and plenty of it was the former CEO of QWest Joseph Nacchio who just happened to head up the only phone company who demanded a court order to turn his customer records over to the NSA in the early 2000's.  Funny how these things work, and pretty hard to stay positive about the nature of our country (here in the U.S.)

I consider it favorable that both China and Iran will use capital punishment for white-collar crime.  Whether they have a balanced justice system is doubtful though.  At least in China, and likely Iran (and pretty much anywhere else.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
dmpotter

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:35:48 AM

I believe that this attitude is a result of generations of training (largely driven by white-collar types.)  Fact is, most white-collar crime results in massive levels of suffering spread across many individuals while most run-of-the-mill crime is very limited in this respect.  If anything white-collar types should get even more harsh sentences for their crimes than common thugs for this reason.  At least that's the way I see it intellectually, though I have the same bias as everyone else so it's a strain to believe this.  One way or another, harsher punishments for white-collar crime would make it less common.  And as with anyone, if you can't do the time don't do the crime, and pretty much all white-collar folks have the mental ability to understand the fallout from their activities.  It bothers me greatly that these white collar guys go to minimum security places (for part of the week.)

Actually, one white collar guy who did hard time in the fed pen and plenty of it was the former CEO of QWest Joseph Nacchio who just happened to head up the only phone company who demanded a court order to turn his customer records over to the NSA in the early 2000's.  Funny how these things work, and pretty hard to stay positive about the nature of our country (here in the U.S.)

I consider it favorable that both China and Iran will use capital punishment for white-collar crime.  Whether they have a balanced justice system is doubtful though.  At least in China, and likely Iran (and pretty much anywhere else.)

No argument from a well thought out post. I can't reasonably say I'm not brainwashed by white-collar people into believing that the death penalty would be too harsh. Otherwise it wouldn't be brainwashing. Grin

Still think its pretty harsh.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 04:41:06 AM

I will agree with you on this. Some one who robs $2.6 billion for the government funds is indirectly causing thousands of deaths indirectly as a result of poor healthcare facilities, poor infrastructure.etc. Death penalty is 100% justified.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: