Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:16:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like bitcoin is a losing battle  (Read 1437 times)
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:28:38 PM

You first saw BTC at $14.. now it's at $580...  it went from hundreds using it to millions and it's a losing battle?!?!?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:35:22 PM

You first saw BTC at $14.. now it's at $580...  it went from hundreds using it to millions and it's a losing battle?!?!?
This is a good point. You can't say your loosing the battle if your not fighting.  Wink

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:43:28 PM

I don't really think I was in it for the "good rich scheme" at first, I thought it was genuinely interesting and hey, it's money that nobody can touch right? But when things started getting tougher monetary wise and I couldn't make ends meet and ended up with just the shirt on my back and a couple possessions facing foreclosure on my house I mean....

Anyways, yeah it's harsh and it's cruel but I just feel as if maybe newbies should be given more of a chance.

i don't know what to say really.. sometimes you just have to look at your shitty life and say "fuck it, it doesn't even matter.. there's no point in being bummed out by my misfortunes."
skottiejay (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 07:43:51 PM

This is a good point. You can't say your loosing the battle if your not fighting.  Wink

It's a losing battle to me because I cannot in any way shape or form get bitcoin, I don't have the equipment to buy a device and I don't have the money to invest. I'm not entirely new to bitcoin, but I know that right now mining is a lost game. So what is there left to do?

Who says I'm not fighting? I'm giving up after a long fight, I got back into the game because I thought it would be a perfect time to, but after doing research I'm not doing it right, or I'm behind the 8-ball. I guess.

What else could I say?
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 07:46:42 PM

I don't really think I was in it for the "good rich scheme" at first, I thought it was genuinely interesting and hey, it's money that nobody can touch right? But when things started getting tougher monetary wise and I couldn't make ends meet and ended up with just the shirt on my back and a couple possessions facing foreclosure on my house I mean....

Anyways, yeah it's harsh and it's cruel but I just feel as if maybe newbies should be given more of a chance.

i don't know what to say really.. sometimes you just have to look at your shitty life and say "fuck it, it doesn't even matter.. there's no point in being bummed out by my misfortunes."

I try day in and day out to look at things that have happened to me since 2011 and earlier, and say there's a reason for that happening. 3 family members in a span of a couple months getting cancer, losing my house, etc these things happened for a reason. All I want is a piece of the pie, whether or not it be through BTC or other forms. I would like to see my grandmother before she passes (terminal cancer 6-8 months) and visit my other family members in ill health. There's no use in me trying to get a job where I'm at, it's literally a haul into town and with gas prices being as high as they are, what are the chances it's going to pay off? I can't work anyways, remember.

Trying not to be bummed out when you've got the world on your shoulders is easier said than done.

What else could I say?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:57:56 PM

You first saw BTC at $14.. now it's at $580...  it went from hundreds using it to millions and it's a losing battle?!?!?
This is a good point. You can't say your loosing the battle if your not fighting.  Wink

It's a losing battle to me because I cannot in any way shape or form get bitcoin, I don't have the equipment to buy a device and I don't have the money to invest. I'm not entirely new to bitcoin, but I know that right now mining is a lost game. So what is there left to do?

Who says I'm not fighting? I'm giving up after a long fight, I got back into the game because I thought it would be a perfect time to, but after doing research I'm not doing it right, or I'm behind the 8-ball. I guess.
But none of us got our coins for free either. Try buying $10 worth today. It will always be a risk, but if you had done that just last week you would be profitable right now. There are no guarantees, but your going to kick yourself again if BTC hits $5K by the end of the year. Risk what you can afford to loose, then stop looking at prices for a year.
We are in the early adoption phase and one day you may be reading about how unfair it was that you only paid hundreds for your coins.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:03:22 PM

If life was easy I would have bought more in 2011 too. Sorry to be so harsh, but I honestly don't believe you couldn't have saved just a few bitcoins over three years, and acting like it's impossible is trivializing the efforts of everyone who did. Again, I apologize for this overly-emotional response.

really wasn't harsh to be honest, but you have to admit what are the chances of some joe schmo like me just winding up with the equipment or money to invest in something that people have already had a head start on? and no, i really couldn't just come up with a few bitcoins when they were 15 or something back in 2011. i had no choice but to choose between having my lights turn on or eating, i made a habit of going to dollar general (in the states) and buying 20 dollar cereal. for a while i had episodes of blacking out because i wasn't eating enough. this isn't fiction it's truth, the hard reality is not everybody is equally blessed with the set aside resources, and not everybody can see what's coming in the future. in my case, such is life.

First of all let me answer your question. The chances are >99% that a joe shmo like both of us had at least ONE PENNY to trade in-person. In 2011 transaction fees were completely optional and you could have literally bought a single Satoshi. I attended a couple very small Bitcoin user meetings, and even a guy off the street with $1 of recycling money could have bought SOME and saved it with a library computer.

below is an optional personal anecdote that doesn't actually prove anything, but I'd like to include it

I realize I won't win a poverty contest with you, but I'd still like to explain what this has been like. I was extremely frustrated in 2011 that I couldn't buy more. I wasn't blessed with set aside resources, I was in debt and went deeper in debt to buy BTC. I was living paycheck-to-paycheck and spending 3+ hours a day sitting/standing in public transit and biking. I thought I was "helping" my friends and family by telling them about it years ago, but instead they have been urging me to sell the whole time. I can't really blame them - here's a guy who can't even handle his own finances, spending what little he's got on semi-legal imaginary internet money.
You still have bitcoins? It's great that you got in before the bubble, but the fad is over and people have lost interest.
They told me that after the June 2011 rally, the April 2013 rally, and the most recent $1000 rally.

So now here I am, still working hard every day. I've got even less to show for it than I would have if I had never heard about Bitcoin... except for a dusty cold wallet, encrypted and split up - which might not even be worth anything by the time I finally decrypt most of it. It's not even a particularly enormous amount of money (hence the 4am job) but at least now it's something I feel is "significant" or "worthwhile", not the pocket change I squeezed out in 2011. Yes I'm still saving most of it, because it's been a good idea all along and most people still fail to understand what it's capable of (decentralized crowdfunding, prediction markets, entire legal systems, etc).

/anecdote

Gavin's Bitcoin Faucet was giving out like 0.05ish BTC in early 2011, so each visit would be around $25 now. And right now $25 would be a smart amount of money for a broke person to save in Bitcoin. You can go to some faucets and save at least some small amount for three years from now. Just don't choose to tell me you don't have choices - don't tell me it's more worth your time to argue with me.

Or you can draw me a nice color picture of an octopus riding an elephant while they are both holding balloons, and I'll send you 0.009 BTC. Offer valid only for skottiejay until 2014-05-31
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:07:00 PM

short-sighted or not, i am planning on bitcoins being worth a lot of money someday. i'm talking six figures, if not seven. maybe that is off base. however, going on this assumption, i know that every effort i take to amassing bitcoin now will pay off hugely in the future. so while i was once bothered by not being able to get lots of btc (thousands for instance), i am now just doing the best i can to collect every mBit and bitcent i can, wherever i can.
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:43:30 PM

No I never lost any coin, at the time when they were dirt cheap I didn't have any money then, and that's when cpu mining was becoming a thing of the past. I had a little netbook that could only pound out like maybe 10mh/s at most and I'd never heard of altcoins yet.

Trying to keep my head on while I'm going through all of this strife is really hard to do, especially when I need this money now to help the people I love the most.

But how can you dint had even 50 bucks?, maybe you dint imagine what it could be, my advice is that as bitcoin is only at the begin of a huge movement, buy some coins now, if not you would regret more in the future
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 12:18:52 AM

How can I buy coin without any money.

That's the problem, I don't have anything to invest here. I can't sell my laptop, or any other cheap trinket because it won't net me any amount of BTC that I can put away and use for the future. The laptop I'm using isn't worth enough to sell on craigslist!

Anyways, maybe I should just close this thread, or maybe a mod can? I'm tired of seeing it honestly, I respect all of your opinions but I guess I'd have to go into detail of what has happened over the past several years and how I've ended up the way I am right now.

Thanks for the advice though.

What else could I say?
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1492
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:49:40 AM

It is possible that a few years from now maybe 1 Billion people will be using bitcoin. So 2.1 bitcents is a fair share.

So, do you have $12?

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
beetcoin

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:51:21 AM

That's the problem, I don't have anything to invest here. I can't sell my laptop, or any other cheap trinket because it won't net me any amount of BTC that I can put away and use for the future. The laptop I'm using isn't worth enough to sell on craigslist!

Anyways, maybe I should just close this thread, or maybe a mod can? I'm tired of seeing it honestly, I respect all of your opinions but I guess I'd have to go into detail of what has happened over the past several years and how I've ended up the way I am right now.

looks like you have an ad signature thing going on. why not post a little more on the forums? if you spend enough time, you can potentially earn .5 BTC in a month. all for posting.
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:57:24 AM

looks like you have an ad signature thing going on. why not post a little more on the forums? if you spend enough time, you can potentially earn .5 BTC in a month. all for posting.

Yes there are always ways to get some bitcoins, and the ways you can get them online are more easy than earning fiat. fiat online earning sites are most of them scams.
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 01:40:46 AM

That's what I'm trying to do at least, I'm hoping it provides some kind of profit at least.

What else could I say?
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:03:58 AM

Not sure what you could had done different.  Finding out about Bitcoin at $14 was too late.  What kind of money could you had expect?   $1000 at $14 is only around $40,000 today - not enough money for a man in your predicament, who has to help two sick parents and save his home.  Now if you claimed you knew about Bitcoin when it was only a few cents then that would be something else.

There is some hope in alternates but that requires immense foresight.  People bought a share of NxT at 1.5 BTC back in October (which then was maybe $300) and now they have $2+ million each.  If you had invested $10,000 into Darkcoin a month ago, you would be a rich guy right now.

I don't see why you can't get involved in alternates.   You apparently have money for an internet connection and some kind of shelter arrangement.

Although all this stuff is equivalent to winning the lottery.  Bitcoin only created like maybe 500 millionaires (not counting sockpuppet wallets) and NxT only created maybe 5 (not counting sockpuppets).  This is compared to perhaps 2 million people who use Bitcoin around the world, so the distribution of wealth is worse than real world distribution.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 02:13:02 AM

what are you trying to tell us here

skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 02:14:27 AM

Not sure what you could had done different.  Finding out about Bitcoin at $14 was too late.  What kind of money could you had expect?   $1000 at $14 is only around $40,000 today - not enough money for a man in your predicament, who has to help two sick parents and save his home.  Now if you claimed you knew about Bitcoin when it was only a few cents then that would be something else.

There is some hope in alternates but that requires immense foresight.  People bought a share of NxT at 1.5 BTC back in October (which then was maybe $300) and now they have $2+ million each.  If you had invested $10,000 into Darkcoin a month ago, you would be a rich guy right now.

I don't see why you can't get involved in alternates.   You apparently have money for an internet connection and some kind of shelter arrangement

Shelter yes, I'm not paying for this internet. Remember I'm at my mothers.

Anyways, it's all a big deal of "too little too late" or "wrong place wrong time" and that's about it. I guess I just learned it the hard way, and that's unfortunate. I really wish I had invested or had the money to invest but I didn't, and that's that. It seems hard to believe but there are people living well below the poverty line that don't have money to spend without thinking about where their next shut off notice is going to be.

What else could I say?
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:22:14 AM

Must be some kind of roleplaying or fiction writer.  Apparently the guy has been on the poverty line for well over five years now.

If that were me, would had learned by maybe year #1 to either..

A.  Get a job
B.  If can't find a job, then learn to sell drugs or panhandle
C.  Relocate to North Dakota / Alberta and make $$$

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 02:28:53 AM

Must be some kind of roleplaying or fiction writer.  Apparently the guy has been on the poverty line for well over five years now.

A.  Get a job
B.  If can't find a job, then learn to sell drugs or panhandle
C.  Relocate to North Dakota / Alberta and make $$$

Yes, some kind of roleplayer. Why are people so skeptical of honest to god stories? Here's the gist.

In 2007 I was involved in a major car accident that left me with severe panic and anxiety and PTSD, in 2008 I was admitted to the hospital because I wasn't eating at all and they found I had really bad gallstones and they needed to be removed immediately. From 2008 til now I've been dealing with the after effects of both, from raging panic to anxiety so deep and hard that I can barely get out of bed. I am fighting to get on SSI but they apparently don't feel I"m disabled enough yet I've displayed a level of anxiety that can only be described as SEVERE. The doctor even approved me for disability so I'm legal.

I don't have any money, I don't have any assets. I don't have anything but the laptop I'm typing on and some clothes stashed away.

Why is this so hard to understand, are people not allowed to suffer without skepticism?

What else could I say?
beetcoin

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:33:31 AM

Must be some kind of roleplaying or fiction writer.  Apparently the guy has been on the poverty line for well over five years now.

A.  Get a job
B.  If can't find a job, then learn to sell drugs or panhandle
C.  Relocate to North Dakota / Alberta and make $$$

Yes, some kind of roleplayer. Why are people so skeptical of honest to god stories? Here's the gist.

In 2007 I was involved in a major car accident that left me with severe panic and anxiety and PTSD, in 2008 I was admitted to the hospital because I wasn't eating at all and they found I had really bad gallstones and they needed to be removed immediately. From 2008 til now I've been dealing with the after effects of both, from raging panic to anxiety so deep and hard that I can barely get out of bed. I am fighting to get on SSI but they apparently don't feel I"m disabled enough yet I've displayed a level of anxiety that can only be described as SEVERE. The doctor even approved me for disability so I'm legal.

I don't have any money, I don't have any assets. I don't have anything but the laptop I'm typing on and some clothes stashed away.

Why is this so hard to understand, are people not allowed to suffer without skepticism?

have you tried meditation by the way? it can help - i've met countless people who suffer from one thing or another, and it can help. i've seen people make 180 degree turns on their life. you can do 10 day courses and if you don't have money, it's free.

if you are suffering, you should seek out to understand why you are suffering.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: