Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:26:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like bitcoin is a losing battle  (Read 1437 times)
skottiejay (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:28:21 AM

When I stumbled upon BTC in 2011, it was worth $14 or so bucks. Why didn't I just mine, or buy then? Why didn't I figure some way out then?

The year is now 2014, and I'm worn out on bitcoin. It almost feels like a joke. A bunch of people holding a ton of coins, while people like myself who are off and on about it, reaching up to grab for some, and it getting taken away by an older bigger bully.

I've had my share of heartache's in the past month, a grandmother who has 8 months to live (at best), my mother has breast cancer. My father has an auto immune disease that stripped him of his body mass/weight and has forced him to relearn how to walk, talk, and eat.

I just can't stand it. I got into bitcoin because I was excited about it, I felt it had promise, and now...

I can't.

I'm sorry guys, I'm just not in a good way right now.

What else could I say?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 07:42:34 AM

When I stumbled upon BTC in 2011, it was worth $14 or so bucks. Why didn't I just mine, or buy then? Why didn't I figure some way out then?

The year is now 2014, and I'm worn out on bitcoin. It almost feels like a joke. A bunch of people holding a ton of coins, while people like myself who are off and on about it, reaching up to grab for some, and it getting taken away by an older bigger bully.

I've had my share of heartache's in the past month, a grandmother who has 8 months to live (at best), my mother has breast cancer. My father has an auto immune disease that stripped him of his body mass/weight and has forced him to relearn how to walk, talk, and eat.

I just can't stand it. I got into bitcoin because I was excited about it, I felt it had promise, and now...

I can't.

seems like you lost some coins and are a bit upset/bitter about it. should have bought and hold, and hold however much you were comfortable with.

sorry to hear about what's going on in your life, but you are bummed out about bitcoin because it has lost you money.. and you weren't ballsy enough to hold onto your coins when the price started to go down. you have to own up to your responsibilities.. yeah, the market is rigged, but if you have a good head on your shoulders (you have control of this), then you'll still make out well.
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 02:42:57 PM

No I never lost any coin, at the time when they were dirt cheap I didn't have any money then, and that's when cpu mining was becoming a thing of the past. I had a little netbook that could only pound out like maybe 10mh/s at most and I'd never heard of altcoins yet.

Trying to keep my head on while I'm going through all of this strife is really hard to do, especially when I need this money now to help the people I love the most.

What else could I say?
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:20:37 PM

I can't.

omg man ... what are you telling about?
Instead of crying get yourself to do something to change life for better.
Nothing comes for free and if you will waste your time for crying around you will lose a chance to live your best life ever.

Think about it.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:30:21 PM

... A bunch of people holding a ton of coins, while people like myself who are off and on about it, reaching up to grab for some, and it getting taken away by an older bigger bully.
Sorry to hear about the troubles in your family. Could you explain the losing part a bit more? What is your goal with bitcoin and what is your plan to achieve your goal? I don't understand your statement above. Someone is stealing from you?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:35:05 PM

Basically a metaphor I guess, people who invested early are holding onto large amounts of coins and people like myself who really need it, but don't have the physical means to buy or mine for it are left standing in the dust.

Here's how I feel, everyone should be given a free shot at a decent amount of btc. Not just faucets, because you could spend 3 months at a faucet and earn a fraction of a bitcoin.

But that's just me, and especially for people in desperate need like myself it should be a -no brainer- that people come to the aid and rescue. I have 3 family members right now dealing with terminal to minor cancer, I have no way to get home to them and am unemployed. I am also disabled.

Sob story aside, I think for sure people should be able to help those in need.

What else could I say?
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:40:42 PM

Basically a metaphor I guess, people who invested early are holding onto large amounts of coins and people like myself who really need it, but don't have the physical means to buy or mine for it are left standing in the dust.

Here's how I feel, everyone should be given a free shot at a decent amount of btc. Not just faucets, because you could spend 3 months at a faucet and earn a fraction of a bitcoin.

That's how things are. In the real life economy, also. People really aren't entitled to anything. People should be happy with any amount they have. Saying something is M.I.A just because you don't have a high amount for it is like saying somebody is K.I.A when they're alive.

People who invested early spent time or/and money on it.
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:44:20 PM

Listen, I'm not trying to claim that I should be "entitled" to anything, I know I should have done "x and y" back when but you know what? Now with stakes so high and the price and difficulty for anyone starting out it's almost like "you had your chance ha ha look us now" while you are diving in virtual money bins. I certainly didn't have the money and resources in 2011, and I don't now. I'm going through a very long and trying battle with disability, (aka: trying to receive it) and I am physically unable to work, I'm not looking for a "get rich" scheme but something to help leverage some of the costs of being unable to live at any comfortable lifestyle without having to sell everything I own (which I have) to decide whether or not I need medicine or food.

There you have your sob story.

What else could I say?
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:54:27 PM

Hey bud,

Sorry to hear about all the hardship you've gone through and are going through. Please don't lose focus though. Its in your best interest to trust your gut! Back in 2011 your gut told you something, it told you that BTC was the way of the future and it still is. This is just the calm before the storm. Back when btc crashed from 250 down to 50 it took about 5 months to start moving again.. We've been in a slump for sure, but the light at the end of the tunnel is growing brighter. The winkelvos ETF is going to NASDAK. Just that alone will allow every institutional investor to get in on BTC without actually holding or taking care or BTC. Once the ETF is out, I know mutual funds will start to include the ETF as well which will allow anyone in the world to invest in BTC through their bank.

To the moon we go. This is the last chance for many of us to get into BTC at a reasonable price.. next stop is 5K.

Are you ready?
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:58:26 PM

My gut at the time was telling me "is this for real?"  Roll Eyes

But seriously, it seems like I probably should have done something then, this is true. But I could only cpu mine at the time. I do not have a fancy rig, and GPU mining was out of the question.

Am I ready? I don't know to be honest, it seems as if I just want to give up because of how far behind I am and how little resources I have available to make **** happen.

What else could I say?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:00:25 PM

But that's just me, and especially for people in desperate need like myself it should be a -no brainer- that people come to the aid and rescue. I have 3 family members right now dealing with terminal to minor cancer, I have no way to get home to them and am unemployed. I am also disabled.

Sob story aside, I think for sure people should be able to help those in need.

I understand your stress over all these issues. Perhaps I can help with some strategy on the bitcoin side? The first thing to consider is that your chances of profiting from bitcoin are not diminished by others holding coins. Remember, there are no coins. We are just slicing up a pie into ever smaller pieces. If you buy on BTC today and it goes up tomorrow it does not matter what the price was. Focus on the % of growth not the price.
Don't waste your time with faucets, alt coins, mining, derivatives, investments, etc. If you believe it will go up just buy btc at market cost. What I then do is wait for say a 20% increase then I spend my coins to buy stuff. After purchasing items for bitcoin I restock my wallet and repeat the whole thing over.
As far as others getting a better deal... It didn't happen. Those who bought coins early on took a much much greater risk than you. The same is true of Microsoft stock. Those who bought when home computing was a joke made big money. The miners who got rich took even more chances investing in hardware and burning electricity. Satoshi did not invent a system for people to get rich, he invented a system of rewards and constraints that reward hard work but does not give anything to anyone.
Hope this helps.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
indiguy

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:07:54 PM

Look at me, I'm just starting. How depressing should this be for me? but I cheer up.  Grin
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:21:37 PM

My gut at the time was telling me "is this for real?"  Roll Eyes

But seriously, it seems like I probably should have done something then, this is true. But I could only cpu mine at the time. I do not have a fancy rig, and GPU mining was out of the question.

Am I ready? I don't know to be honest, it seems as if I just want to give up because of how far behind I am and how little resources I have available to make **** happen.

Just start collecting now, buy little amounts, work for some BTC, rent your signature and put whatever you earn onto a cold wallet. In 20 years from now when BTC is worth 1M each you'll be more then happy you did!

Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:25:01 PM

i've only been around for a year and know exactly how you feel. it's been a struggle, trying day in and day out to amass a little stash of bitcoins. such is life, i guess. Undecided
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:34:02 PM

I found out about Bitcoin about the same time as you, and I've got real-world money problems too. The only difference between us is that I made sacrifices (and continue to) so I could buy and hold.

Did you go out to eat, or go out to the movies in the last 3 years? Just giving away coins for free wouldn't be fair to people who see it for what it is and made a personal sacrifice to save money. No one with an internet connection complaining here is living on a subsistence wage.

I've got unemployed and disabled family members, massive student loans, and start my hazardous job at 4:00 in the fucking morning six days a week. If I were more bullish I'd retire on Bitcoin right now, but plan to work through a few more bubble cycles and keep saving money. Because excuses won't put my kids through college.

If life was easy I would have bought more in 2011 too. Sorry to be so harsh, but I honestly don't believe you couldn't have saved just a few bitcoins over three years, and acting like it's impossible is trivializing the efforts of everyone who did. Again, I apologize for this overly-emotional response.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1492
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:43:41 PM

I'm just like you.

My wrong move was buying hardware from BFL. It payed itself of and bought me a nice cellphone but I have very little BTC.

As far as bitcoin is concerned I think it's the future, of course it could go down the drain.

This is still a very risky investment Hell it can double in 6 months or it could go down to $100.... You still have the same choice you had then.

You could get a bunch of BTC and the price could go to 2k.... or to $200....

No-one can make decisions for you.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:44:39 PM

i'm starting the "Money from G-d site".

basically a free bank for everyone.  with 2800+ bitcoins in it (whatever you donate).  and anyone can withdrawal whatever amount of money they want for free.

as long as they study the koran

i am here.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 06:55:38 PM

i think it's the most common bitcoin peril.. to enter the game for a get-rich scheme, only to find out you were too late. and then feeling down about it, and not owning the responsibility.
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 06:58:18 PM

I don't really think I was in it for the "good rich scheme" at first, I thought it was genuinely interesting and hey, it's money that nobody can touch right? But when things started getting tougher monetary wise and I couldn't make ends meet and ended up with just the shirt on my back and a couple possessions facing foreclosure on my house I mean....

Anyways, yeah it's harsh and it's cruel but I just feel as if maybe newbies should be given more of a chance.

What else could I say?
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 07:02:18 PM

If life was easy I would have bought more in 2011 too. Sorry to be so harsh, but I honestly don't believe you couldn't have saved just a few bitcoins over three years, and acting like it's impossible is trivializing the efforts of everyone who did. Again, I apologize for this overly-emotional response.

really wasn't harsh to be honest, but you have to admit what are the chances of some joe schmo like me just winding up with the equipment or money to invest in something that people have already had a head start on? and no, i really couldn't just come up with a few bitcoins when they were 15 or something back in 2011. i had no choice but to choose between having my lights turn on or eating, i made a habit of going to dollar general (in the states) and buying 20 dollar cereal. for a while i had episodes of blacking out because i wasn't eating enough. this isn't fiction it's truth, the hard reality is not everybody is equally blessed with the set aside resources, and not everybody can see what's coming in the future. in my case, such is life.

What else could I say?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: