Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:15:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable Modem/Router  (Read 1226 times)
kpriess (OP)

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

Money is the root of all evil.

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 05:42:55 PM

I've been experiencing some drops on the cable modem due to the regional bandwidth limit reached at peak hours; it goes and then comes back within 15 minutes [which doesn't bother me, or more honestly, there's nothing I can do about it], the problem is, I have to power cycle both the modem and the router, otherwise the internet connection won't resume [windows sits on the connectivity issue icon on the taskbar]..

Now, is this something that can be avoided with a different router/modem..? I'm not sure if it is a modem, router, modem/router issue tho..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bangra

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 06:09:28 PM

Make/model/isp?
portron

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 07:00:58 PM

Sounds like the router isn't renewing the DHCP information from the modem after it restarts from a drop.... could be that the modem isn't pickup the new DHCP info from your cable company too.

Try this... after a drop, plug the cable modem directly in to your computer and see if you get net access (leave it powered on, but plug the network cable in)

If you do, then the DHCP release / renew is having issues at the router level.

If you don't have access, request a new modem from your cable company.

trouserless

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 03:57:47 AM

I've been experiencing some drops on the cable modem due to the regional bandwidth limit reached at peak hours; it goes and then comes back within 15 minutes [which doesn't bother me, or more honestly, there's nothing I can do about it], the problem is, I have to power cycle both the modem and the router, otherwise the internet connection won't resume [windows sits on the connectivity issue icon on the taskbar]..

Now, is this something that can be avoided with a different router/modem..? I'm not sure if it is a modem, router, modem/router issue tho..

how many miners?  What are your bandwidth rates?

check this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61528.0
kpriess (OP)

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

Money is the root of all evil.

View Profile
February 07, 2012, 04:28:16 AM

Make/model/isp?

Its a WRT54GS2 with latest FW, you probably wont recognize my ISP, I'm not in the US..

how many miners?  What are your bandwidth rates?

check this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61528.0

It's not a matter of BW or capacity, the problem comes from the router itself [just confirmed], and it doesn't matter if I'm using the internet at all, the problem will always show..

BW is 2Mbit up .256 down [yeah, I know it sucks]..

Sounds like the router isn't renewing the DHCP information from the modem after it restarts from a drop.... could be that the modem isn't pickup the new DHCP info from your cable company too.

Try this... after a drop, plug the cable modem directly in to your computer and see if you get net access (leave it powered on, but plug the network cable in)

If you do, then the DHCP release / renew is having issues at the router level.

If you don't have access, request a new modem from your cable company.

What I did last time it happened, was power cycling the modem first, which made no difference, Windows was still detecting a connectivity problem, I then rebooted the router and everything came back online..

By the way if you unplug the network cable from a cable modem and you plug it into a different NIC you MUST power cycle it [this is general law], as it works directly with the MAC address, it won't register the new NIC if you don't power cycle.. I don't know if it's the same with all modems, but that's how this one works [SB5100]..

The DHCP renewing makes a lot of sense, I'm looking for options within the router to see if there's indeed something that is forcing it to be static on detect..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: