Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:23:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you be interested in trading currency & index futures and stocks denominated in bitcoin?
Yes - 26 (70.3%)
No - 4 (10.8%)
Need more details - 7 (18.9%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Futures and Stock trading denominated in bitcoins  (Read 4110 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:40:03 PM

This sounds even more weird.

I could maybe understand you transferring the contract within a day, but closing it?

What does that even mean?

Say you contract with me to take delivery of 10,000 pork bellies on 1st december.

How do you "close" that? Is there some default you pay?

Or have you already paid me for the bellies when you "opened" the contract, and "closing" it merely means telling me I can keep the cash but please do not actually send you the bellies?

I could understand you selling the delivery to someone else, so come dec 1st you'll tell me hey by the way here is my new shipping address, so-and-so will be there waiting for the bellies instead of me".

But "closing"? I don't understand... if everyone is doing that, can I basically just eat my bellies and contract to deliver them too, knowing no one is ever actually going to take delivery so I might as well eat them myself, no one will even care?

I thought the "hedging" part of futures was (a) I know I got paid for my bellies so I can use the money to buy food for the pigs so as to create the bellies; and (b) you know how much the bellies you'll be taking delivery of in december cost long before december.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 04:49:07 PM

Do you intend to become in the future a competition to Bitcoinica?

Signature space available for rent.
1QaZxSw2 (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 05:39:58 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 05:51:49 PM by 1QaZxSw2

This sounds even more weird.

I could maybe understand you transferring the contract within a day, but closing it?

What I mean is that most futures traders hold their contracts for a very short time. For example, when I trade the S&P futures, my average holding time is about 15 minutes. Most traders exit and re-enter futures trades many times in the day and most of them flatten all positions before the end of the day.

What does that even mean?

Say you contract with me to take delivery of 10,000 pork bellies on 1st december.

How do you "close" that? Is there some default you pay?

A trader closes a long contract by selling a contract and a short contract by buying a contract.

Or have you already paid me for the bellies when you "opened" the contract, and "closing" it merely means telling me I can keep the cash but please do not actually send you the bellies?

I could understand you selling the delivery to someone else, so come dec 1st you'll tell me hey by the way here is my new shipping address, so-and-so will be there waiting for the bellies instead of me".

But "closing"? I don't understand... if everyone is doing that, can I basically just eat my bellies and contract to deliver them too, knowing no one is ever actually going to take delivery so I might as well eat them myself, no one will even care?

I thought the "hedging" part of futures was (a) I know I got paid for my bellies so I can use the money to buy food for the pigs so as to create the bellies; and (b) you know how much the bellies you'll be taking delivery of in december cost long before december.

95 to 99% of futures contracts are closed by the trader before delivery date. Physical delivery is rare and occurs electronically. i.e. gold in a depository, etc.

Futures are mark to market, i.e. The difference in value is settled at the end of every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futures_contract

1QaZxSw2 (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 05:50:06 PM

Do you intend to become in the future a competition to Bitcoinica?

Bitcoinica trades BTC like forex. You actually are buying BTC from and selling to them. The quotes are their quotes to you, not price discovery from bid/ask like a real exchange. This is how most forex works. You are not buying from another trader, you are buying from the forex broker. They will take a small slice off your trades. This is great for Bitcoinica and forex traders should be fine with it, but as a futures trader, I would never trade in such a manner.

We plan to be a real exchange where traders take each other's bid and ask. This facilitates price discovery and avoids conflict of interest issues.
1QaZxSw2 (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:14:10 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2012, 01:30:34 AM by 1QaZxSw2

We are considering the following domains. Anyone care to comment which one would be preferable?

btcfutur.es
bitfutur.es
btctra.de
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:24:47 AM

We are considering the following domains. Anyone care to comment which one would be preferable?

btcfutur.es
bitfuture.es
btctra.de
All of them, of course! You can never have too many domains. But for the main site, you really still need a .com, and those others can forward to it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 08:43:44 PM

This is certainly an interesting idea!

Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 08:09:01 PM

I'm a professional futures trader

my average holding time is about 15 minutes

How successful are you in trading?
1QaZxSw2 (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 01:13:51 AM

I'm a professional futures trader

my average holding time is about 15 minutes

How successful are you in trading?

If your entry is precise, you should never need to hold for more than two to four five minutes bars to take your first target successfully. Two points on ES is $100/contract.
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 07:50:32 AM

Have you see this? http://www.investopedia.com/articles/trading/08/turtle-trading.asp#axzz1moP6uutb
1QaZxSw2 (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 06:45:06 PM

I'd rather not hijack this thread to discuss trading strategies. Perhaps you could create a separate thread for it.
Fireball

Activity: 674

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 08:35:56 AM

I am working on this since July 2011.
Here is one of the threads - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50817.0

However due to problems which would arise with liquidity and great demand in a good quality currency exchange, I decided to make the trading engine universal and start from trading currencies. After it's done and there is a currency market, then I wanted to add a futures market (short intro is on the website - http://icbit.se/node/2).

1QaZ - maybe instead of redoing all the work (imagine, I spent almost a year on all the preparation stuff, and I'm not alone), you could join us? I was looking for an experienced futures trader, however I couldn't find anyone back then.

Margin trading platform OrderBook.net (ICBIT): https://orderbook.net
Follow us in Twitter: https://twitter.com/orderbooknet
1QaZxSw2 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 03:08:44 PM

I am working on this since July 2011.
Here is one of the threads - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50817.0

However due to problems which would arise with liquidity and great demand in a good quality currency exchange, I decided to make the trading engine universal and start from trading currencies. After it's done and there is a currency market, then I wanted to add a futures market (short intro is on the website - http://icbit.se/node/2).

1QaZ - maybe instead of redoing all the work (imagine, I spent almost a year on all the preparation stuff, and I'm not alone), you could join us? I was looking for an experienced futures trader, however I couldn't find anyone back then.

PM sent.
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 10:13:39 AM

Following.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
miner3gazillionand8

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 03:36:13 AM

following
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: