Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:41:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "No Way To Prevent This," Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens  (Read 5824 times)
zolace (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:55:24 AM

"ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place.

"This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there's nothing anyone can do to stop them," said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world's deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations.

"It's a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted." At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as "helpless."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this,36131/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

Before someone discredits the article because its source is The Onion, this isn't humorous, and wasn't meant to be humorous. Satirical, yes. It's meant to illustrate the ridiculous level of social and political inaction when it comes to addressing the epidemic levels of violence and untreated mental illness.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:10:12 AM

The problem is you got the issue right but all people want to talk about is GUN CONTROL GUN CONTROL!!
Ban mental illness!

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:12:23 AM

The problem is you got the issue right but all people want to talk about is GUN CONTROL GUN CONTROL!!
Ban mental illness!

Exactly. We should ban gun possession for mentally ill people. But this excuse must not be used to take away legal guns from mentally sane owners. And the OP is partially incorrect. Such incidents occur all around the world, not only in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers
sana8410

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:16:59 AM

People are dead because of a stupid stigma about mental illness.

Sorry that I don't think that's something to mock.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:18:39 AM

That stigma exists because our society chooses to make it exist. There were plenty of warning signs that this murderer exhibited prior to his deed. Seven cops visited him, and he talked them down. His therapist was alarmed by his sessions. His parents knew he was disturbed. Everyone chose to do nothing.

sana8410

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:20:28 AM

That stigma exists because our society chooses to make it exist. There were plenty of warning signs that this murderer exhibited prior to his deed. Seven cops visited him, and he talked them down. His therapist was alarmed by his sessions. His parents knew he was disturbed. Everyone chose to do nothing.
Then our society chooses to address the issue by oh I don't know raising awareness about mental health and violent self entitlement. There were plenty of warning signs pointing to these things before the latest deed. A shooting every other month, and we hear about access to guns and magazine size. Mental health professionals are alarmed by a public obsessed with the lurid, and quickly tired by the intellectual. Everyone knows this isn't right.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:22:00 AM

Let everyone carry concealed or open as an option. Remove gun safe zones. For the mentally ill, place electronic tracer capsules in their meds, so if they stop taking them, it alerts their doctor. Put gun training back into the school curriculum taught by teachers with the skill set to pick up on potential anti-social behavior.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
umair127

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:26:50 AM

We are in a "blame something besides ourselves" society today. We used to have state run asylums where people could be put to protect themselves and society but those were closed out, primarily due to rising cost and abuse by those running them (usually working for "the state"). The "Mental health professionals" that SureFire mentions are also a major part of the problem as they push for meds and people to be released in society...more like dumped on society with a prescription and no real mental health care. Then you have those who jump on these issues to support their own causes, like gun control, as a solution but are not willing to actually tackle the steps needed to implement gun control (closed borders, extreme punishment, door-to-door removal, disarming Police who show they are no better than average citizens at using or owning guns) unless they feel it's a path to more power on their part.

zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:39:19 AM

I don't have answers but I know better than to follow those being the most vocal with blame today because their emotional focus is not on really solving the issue but with some small portion they support. Gun control is not really going to stop those wanting to commit crime with guns, Obamacare really solves not a single issue with medical care but insurance, immigration reform is all about the illegals here and not about true reform (the past being repeated), etc.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
umair127

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:47:39 AM

Mental health is a problem
gangs are a problem
failure to enforce existing laws is a problem
lack of education is a problem
failures of parents is a problem

majority of gun crimes are done by criminals and illegal weapons, the majority of what's left is suicides, the majority of what's left of that is accidents. You aren't going to do shit about that with new gun laws and restrictions because the current ones are already in place and just ignored.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:49:42 AM

to me, the american mentality is really off.. our gun culture is pretty fucked up, and even though guns aren't the ones who ultimately kill people, it's for some reason entrenched in our culture to own guns and lots of them. there is no other developed nation that has close to the gun violence that we do.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:09:01 AM

to me, the american mentality is really off.. our gun culture is pretty fucked up, and even though guns aren't the ones who ultimately kill people, it's for some reason entrenched in our culture to own guns and lots of them. there is no other developed nation that has close to the gun violence that we do.

The American general public is forced to carry a lot of small arms with them, as the crime rate is very high there, when compared to the European countries. The first priority for everyone is to save their families from the home invasions and burglaries.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:47:05 PM

And people wonder why I'm willing to risk my life by going to Mars. I just tell them, "Every single day, you risk your life just by going outside. You could get shot by some creep with a gun. You could get T-boned by a drunk driver on your way home from work tonight. Don't tell me I'm perfectly safe right here on Earth."
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:54:44 PM

Yes, I live in Europe and im glad we dont have so many guns here, you hear so many stories in The Usa how guns are killing innocent people.
Ofcourse you Americans say we need it to defend ourselfs, but the most crazy people have easy acces to guns.
You can just buy it at shop, ive read the manifest from elliot rodger's to, he said he bought 3 guns total very easily.
When the cops came the first time they didn't search his room otherwise they wouldve found his guns, so he kept one close to him with ammo in case they came again and he wanted to kill the cop if that happened.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 04:12:59 PM

I'm glad that there are people out there who recognise this as well, there were doctors calling for more investigations and investments into the mental health industry even before Sandy Hook, of course this is ignored by politicians and others who want to either profit from these massacres or get re-elected on it.

Even here you've got people already blaming 'gun culture' for the problems rather than looking at stuff which has already been pointed out.
atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:21:20 PM

I'm glad that there are people out there who recognise this as well, there were doctors calling for more investigations and investments into the mental health industry even before Sandy Hook, of course this is ignored by politicians and others who want to either profit from these massacres or get re-elected on it.

Even here you've got people already blaming 'gun culture' for the problems rather than looking at stuff which has already been pointed out.

But guns exacerbate that problem. While completely accepting that people with mental issues need medical attention,if people didn't have guns in the first place,then there would be no way that he could vent out his anger so destructively. I mean the amount of shootings and the kind of news coverage that it is given is absolutely obscene. Anyone who is dissatisfied with their life can go on a shooting spree with full confidence that their face will be shown on TV for weeks,and that their personal relations and that their life will be given importance and dissected on national news networks.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 04:33:24 PM

I can assemble bombs given enough time and some ingredients from local stores that cause far more devastation than any gun, I could also probably build some makeshift rockets if I did some research and that would definitely be more affective in terms of the level of destruction, depending on how sophisticated I wanted to be you don't even need to be in the location to set them off and terrorists have used these exact same methods to attack places that already have gun control in place like the UK.

You're too hung up on guns and are ignoring the fact that the people who carry out these attacks are almost always fucking crazy and quite often are known to the police before hand for causing trouble.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:40:08 PM

And this is the reason why I'm against having a free market for arms, having weapons on circulation create issues and make them easly available for criminals, and increase the violence level and risk of death to higher levels
umair127

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:50:09 PM

This how illogical Liberal thinking is
Does this fucking moron think this will have any impact on the criminal element in the Windy City?

Chicago mayor wants gun stores isolated, inspected, sales videotaped

Following a ruling by a federal court to allow gun stores in Chicago again, Mayor Rahm Emanuel is proposing strict regulations that include videotaping sales and refusing zoning in 99.5 percent of the city.

This comes after a January 2014 order by Federal Judge Edmond E. Chang, who found that the city’s de-facto 2010 ban on the sale of firearms inside its limits was unconstitutional. Following that order, the mayor requested six months to set up a list of regulations for these vendors.
Now, with more than four months elapsed, the Mayor’s office gave a sneak peak of its proposed tough new ordinance governing gun shops this week.

According to the Chicago Sun Times, this would include setting up special zoning that would limit shops to very narrowly outlined pockets, effectively placing 99.5 percent of the city off limits. Further, the stores could not be located within 500 feet of a park or school.

“There is no question it will be the smartest, toughest regulation on gun stores in the country,” said Janey Rountree, the mayor’s deputy chief of staff for public safety. “It’s designed to prevent gun trafficking and illegal sales in these stores.”

In addition to the restrictions on location, stores would have to video tape gun sales, conduct regular audits, and submit security plans to the Chicago Police Department for review. Moreover, owners would have to allow CPD to inspect their records and ration handgun sales to just one per customer per month.

Those stores found out of compliance could lose their license to operate inside the Windy City for up to three years.

Chicago effectively regulated the few gun stores that remained in the city’s limits in 2010 out of business in an effort to stem the tide of illegal guns available on the streets. Nevertheless, recent data released by CPD show that no less than 6,800 illegal guns were confiscated in the city in 2013 alone.

This is nothing new for the largest city in the Land of Lincoln. Between 2001 and 2012, CPD confiscated over 50,000 illegal firearms.

In 2012, the NYPD, responsible for a city of 8.3-million residents, picked up 3,285 guns and still had active gun shops. By comparison, Chicago cops, in a city of just 2.7-million, hauled in 7,400 guns with no operational shops inside the city.

While the proposed city ordinance has not been released for public review, it is expected to be finalized in coming weeks.
As such, gun rights groups such as the National Rifle Association, are reserving comment.

The deadline for submitting the ordinance is currently set for July 14.

http://www.guns.com/2014/05/27/chica...es-videotaped/

zolace (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:57:09 PM

I want your home isolated, inspected, videotaped. Chicago is retarded, nothing new there.
 politicians only care about violence committed by white people or people they can claim are white (such as the new categories of WHITE hispanic and WHITE asian). Violence committed by full minority category Americans are swept under the rug and blamed on WHITE people anyway.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: