Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:20:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: A fund for an alternative Bitcoin development team.  (Read 7980 times)
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 02:49:07 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2012, 03:02:04 PM by John Smith

Have you ever tried funding primary development team? Just curious
Exactly. It is open source and anyone can contribute improvements. So if you can make improvements and/or want to fund people (I'll also do bitcoin client work for BTC) to make improvements, please do so.

We do not need ideas, we need *implemented* ideas.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MORA

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 02:52:36 PM

I also find the standard client (for windows) lacks a lot of important features.
Some of them can be set in a config for bitcoind, can I also do that with the windows gui one ?

Just to list a few that I miss
  • Disable IRC connection
  • Static list of nodes to connect to
  • View balance by addresses
  • Select sender addresses
  • Import private keys
  • Register for bitcoin://
  • Delete incoming addresses (with warning if it contains funds, etc)

However that being said, the program is stable and works well.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 03:08:45 PM

As a significant shareholder

please, feel free try and promote alternative clients, and to donate to their developers.
I suggest you have a look at:
*Electrum, a lightweight client: http://ecdsa.org/electrum
*libbitcoin: An alternative bitcoin library (for servers): http://libbitcoin.org

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 05:08:24 PM

Atlas, is that you? Grin

I was about to say that! xD

(BFL)^2 < 0
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 03:33:51 AM

I am just an interested party. This thread is relevant to my original intentions.

Our firm has decided to hold back from revealing ourselves and even accepting clientele for Bitcoins. With the recent addition of talent, we will now be working on Bitcoin software.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 03:45:58 AM

This thread is relevant to my original intentions.

Our firm has decided to hold back from revealing ourselves and even accepting clientele for Bitcoins. With the recent addition of talent, we will now be working on Bitcoin software.

I am just an interested party.

Or you essentially lied to get whitelisted and immediately began bashing Gavin and the developers of the software. Yeah, that’s a good way to drum up future customers.
I have not lied. Again, I am just an interested and curious party.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 09:22:52 PM

Didn't ther used to be a noob filter for this forum?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 09:33:34 PM

I don't think there's any problem with having alternative Bitcoin development teams.  If you believe the client can be better, then create a better client.  We already have several teams of people developing alternative clients.  Armory is quite impressive so far, for one.

I don't think there's any reason to call for the resignation of existing teams though.  If you don't like Gavin's client, then use a client you do like.

If you don't like ANY of the existing clients, then sure, start up a fund for an alternative development team.  Maybe you can find the right members for a different team that will develop a client to your specifications.  But there's no reason to oust Gavin and his team in the process.  They can develop their client, and you can develop yours.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 10:08:03 PM

I don't think there's any reason to call for the resignation of existing teams though.  If you don't like Gavin's client, then use a client you do like.

I will be justifying my criticism very shortly.

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 10:14:40 PM

I hold my breath  Grin

I don't think the dev team gets enough credit. Remember that time the client had a security vulnerability and a bunch of people lost their money? Me neither.

+1
I believe Gavin's got his priorities right..
He is definitely not a business person: he s built a 50 million dollar business for the community in less than 3 years Wink

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 12:57:42 AM

If you've got a great business model and funding for a much better bitcoin client, more power to you!

If you're planning on defacing one of the web servers that I haven't been keeping up-to-date (because I'm busy doing Bitcoin-related things) or hacking my gmail account to prove that I'm not The World's Best Security Expert... then I'll save you the trouble:

I am not the World's Best Security Expert.
I am not the World's Best Programmer.
I am not a cryptographer.
I am not an expert on finance or banking or monetary systems.
I am not an expert on leading open source projects.

And I hope someday I get replaced as the technical lead for this project. I'm sure there are lots of people better qualified than me, I'm just doing the best I can to try to help make Bitcoin a success.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 01:37:14 AM

If you've got a great business model and funding for a much better bitcoin client, more power to you!

If you're planning on defacing one of the web servers that I haven't been keeping up-to-date (because I'm busy doing Bitcoin-related things) or hacking my gmail account to prove that I'm not The World's Best Security Expert... then I'll save you the trouble:

And I hope someday I get replaced as the technical lead for this project. I'm sure there are lots of people better qualified than me, I'm just doing the best I can to try to help make Bitcoin a success.

I don't like to see you humble yourself. That's not what I want. I just want to see Bitcoin built to a more human-based direction; especially by perspectives other than my own.

What I am going to do tonight is offer a constructive critique of Bitcoin in its current form. It seems that is what this discussion is lacking.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 09:34:23 AM

Rock on Gavin. You're doing a great job. In the beginning I was also a bit critical of bitcoin development, but it all ended up fine, and you've earned a lot of people's trust.

The best way of getting rid of people like Boss, is to ask him what has he done for bitcoin?

Build a client, improve a client, extend the bitcoin ecosystem, teach people how to use bitcoin.. have something to show except for empty talk and a forum pseudonym.

And doing "more human" stuff is *not* the responsibility of the developers of the satoshi client (or the "lead") in the first place.  We make the client. It is up to you, the community, to do something with it. And the bitcoin community has spread way beyond this forum.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 09:44:05 AM

There is plenty of opportunity for alternative clients.
Check out Armory:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.0

If any of them one day proves to be better, people will switch.

IMO Armory looks very promising, but at this point is still lightyears away from being a proven stable client like what Gavin made. Still, feel free to donate to the developer

fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 12:53:12 PM

IMO Armory looks very promising, but at this point is still lightyears away from being a proven stable client like what Gavin made. Still, feel free to donate to the developer

considering the fact that it took etotheipi just seven months to get armory to where its now, i think lightyears are not what they used to be. that guy is definitely traveling at warp speed. i think its realistic to hope that armory becomes usable within the next few months. of course, being "proven" is nothing you can rush. but i hope it becomes an alternative full client, because it really has great potential.

still, gavin i think gavin is doing a good job and his conservative approach with security as the main priority is the best choice as long as the original client is without a real alternative.
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 12:56:00 PM

I dont see the issue here. Gavin is very open and careful about implementation of new features to the bitcoin protocal. This is what *everyone* should hope for. Tinkering on the testnet is what its for.

If its the main software your unhappy about go ahead and build another.

I strugle to see an issue with this. Gavin is exactly what we hope for in this software at this time.
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 06:31:45 PM

considering the fact that it took etotheipi just seven months to get armory to where its now, i think lightyears are not what they used to be. that guy is definitely traveling at warp speed. i think its realistic to hope that armory becomes usable within the next few months. of course, being "proven" is nothing you can rush. but i hope it becomes an alternative full client, because it really has great potential.
Armory is a thin client currently. It uses the Satoshi client as its backend. I think it looks very promising as well, and I'm planning to use it to create a safe offline wallet (because it supports offline transactions natively). But currently it does not implement the Bitcoin protocol, and so the development time put into it cannot be compared to that of bitcoin-qt. It will indeed be interesting too see how long it takes take to implement the core protocol.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 06:54:07 PM

What I am going to do tonight is offer a constructive critique of Bitcoin in its current form. It seems that is what this discussion is lacking.
Instead of telling us you are going to do something, just do it. BTW, anything you come up with has probably already been re-hashed ad nauseum anyway.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 06:58:36 PM

Instead of telling us you are going to do something, just do it. BTW, anything you come up with has probably already been re-hashed ad nauseum anyway.

Why do you think he calls himself the Boss?
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 10:16:45 PM

Instead of telling us you are going to do something, just do it.
I'll do just that.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: