Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:01:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Life after Silk Road: how the darknet drugs market is booming  (Read 2603 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:47:17 PM

I wonder if we'll see the big cartels doing DOS on Silk road or denouncing their owners to the police (or doing worst) in order to end online competition.

Anonymity might be helpful not only against the police.
Personal disclaimer:  I haven't done any drugs in a long time during which the world has gotten way crazier and weirder than it ever looked when I was high, so why should I change things?

LOL

...so who said the cartels were not working with the DEA/other alphabet?  As I recall at the core of the Fast and Furious gun running program was moving heavy weapons to one cartel instead of another.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 08:49:35 PM

I just actually read this wich is very on topic:
http://www.coindesk.com/study-silk-road-may-have-reduced-drug-violence/

I wonder if we'll see the big cartels doing DOS on Silk road or denouncing their owners to the police (or doing worst) in order to end online competition.

Anonymity might be helpful not only against the police.

I don't think so

there's one advantage of getting drugs from dealers instead of online

you get the stuff right away instead of waiting for 30 days or so

there will always be people who want the stuff right away

dealers will remain

Yes there will probably will always be dealers, even with silkroad.
I mean I live in The Netherlands where I can buy weed at a coffeeshop, but I still buy at a dealer.
Just because I know them personal, and they are closer, faster and cheaper then the coffeshop
But I hope the really bad drugdealers (those prepared to kill for drugs/money) will die because of silkroad (probably not)
Because you have some really good and nice drugdealers, that also just want to make money and not harm anyone (mostly Marijuana dealers)
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 10:20:24 PM

I couldn't care less for any kind of drugs, but if I had to buy in a street, I guess that could be an adventure.

Anyway, everyone knows about himself. I have serious doubts about the legitimacy and wiseness of State control of these things.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 02:57:07 AM

I couldn't care less for any kind of drugs, but if I had to buy in a street, I guess that could be an adventure.

Anyway, everyone knows about himself. I have serious doubts about the legitimacy and wiseness of State control of these things.
I guess because at the core of the "war on drugs" and various laws on the subject, there is or once was a genuine desire to improve the health and well being of society, other avenues that seemingly present good outcomes should be carefully examined.

EG, these claims that buying from SilkRoadies are safer than the street.

Then again, I always thought SR was just a giant DEA honeypot, but what do I know...
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:39:07 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2014, 06:30:13 PM by Trading

The regulation on drugs remember me the American alcohol prohibition. It was a complete failure and developed organized crime, like the mafia.

But it seems we can't learn from our past mistakes. The only lesson we learn from history is that history repeats it self time and time, we just forget it and do it all again.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:11:05 PM

<< Buying drugs and weapons online is far easier since the closure of Silk Road in 2013, after a dozen new sites have taken its place. >>

As long as drugs are prohibited the rewards fr operating this type of market are going to be greater than the risk of running them. At least I can imagine that's how people who have the will and capability of running such a market are going to see it.

And after reading how careless DPR was and how his actions lead to his arrest, I can't help but think anyone who attempts to do a similar project in the future will be appropriately cautious with their identity. I'd say it's far more likely that a site would go down due to a hack or a theft than due to law enforcement, despite their success with the original silk road.
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:35:00 PM

It seems Silk Road II already has more drugs for sale than Silk Road I ever had: www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/silk-road_n_5241316.html

The cops must feel pretty frustrated. It's like fighting the mythical hydra, you cut one head, but instantly two new emerge.

beetcoin

Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:56:27 PM

It seems Silk Road II already has more drugs for sale than Silk Road I ever had: www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/silk-road_n_5241316.html

The cops must feel pretty frustrated. It's like fighting the mythical hydra, you cut one head, but instantly two new emerge.

i don't know, the original SR was down for some time, and the wasn't any true contender except for the current SR 2.0.. i wonder if they caught the new SR 2.0 guys, whether a new service similar to SR 2.0 would erect.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:57:37 PM

i don't know, the original SR was down for some time, and the wasn't any true contender except for the current SR 2.0.. i wonder if they caught the new SR 2.0 guys, whether a new service similar to SR 2.0 would erect.

So what's the prediction how this all shakes out after 10 or 20 years?
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 09:18:47 PM

It seems pretty clear that we won't have to wait that much to see a change in policy about drugs, from a repressive policy to a therapeutic and tolerant one.

Even Clinton, that kept the Bush war on drugs, is backing down: http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/12/03/bill-clinton-jimmy-carter-slam-war-on-drugs-in-new-documentary

If we keep this way, soon certain states will end as failed states. Mexico seems to be going this path.

nickenburg

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 09:27:12 PM

It seems pretty clear that we won't have to wait that much to see a change in policy about drugs, from a repressive policy to a therapeutic and tolerant one.

Even Clinton, that kept the Bush war on drugs, is backing down: http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/12/03/bill-clinton-jimmy-carter-slam-war-on-drugs-in-new-documentary

If we keep this way, soon certain states will end as failed states. Mexico seems to be going this path.

Yeh they are backing off the war on drugs, they found a new one with the war on terror.
And they are already stopping to fight marijuana in the US, so that's great.

Did you see the movie Kid Cannabis?
There was a boy killed, and the killer only got 6 years or something.
And the boy that was running drugs from canada to The US got more then 10 years.
That in my eyes is really crazy, for just a plant that is growing in the nature.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:07:09 PM

those people are former presidents, not people who are part of the establishment. i don't think the war on drugs is going to change.. the government likes to put minorities in jail, maybe because there's a capitalistic business model built around it.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:57:44 PM

The war on drugs is just an arms race between law enforcement and criminals. The people that die and get maimed are often not involved with either. I don't partake in drugs or anything illicit but I do think silk road 2 actually helps keep things more peaceful.

newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:01:22 PM

The war on drugs was a scam from the start, do people honestly think their governments care if you take narcotics or not?

All they care about is making sure the little guys don't eat into the CIA's profit margins.

Trading
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:23:46 PM

those people are former presidents, not people who are part of the establishment. i don't think the war on drugs is going to change.. the government likes to put minorities in jail, maybe because there's a capitalistic business model built around it.

The first thing a government care for is its reelection. So, I guess sending almost 1% of the population to prison pays votes.

A huge part of those inmates were arrested for drug associated crimes. I don't have the figures, but arresting and condemning all those people and building, managing and paying for all those prisons might be more than what the Federal government pays in social security.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:30:57 PM

It seems pretty clear that we won't have to wait that much to see a change in policy about drugs, from a repressive policy to a therapeutic and tolerant one.....
It's a gradual process.  I can't recall how many times several of the states have had a checkbox on the ballot to legalize weed, someone libertarian would know.  At least a half dozen times.  Now 2 have done it and Congress is clearly in favor of allowing state level decision making on this.

Still there are complex problems.  Think about the border traffic and the inland Mexican drug gangs if the four border states legalized stuff.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:14:17 PM

The first thing a government care for is its reelection. So, I guess sending almost 1% of the population to prison pays votes.

A huge part of those inmates were arrested for drug associated crimes. I don't have the figures, but arresting and condemning all those people and building, managing and paying for all those prisons might be more than what the Federal government pays in social security.

Filling prisons with any non violent offenders is just a waste. We also punish them for the rest of their lives by limiting them socially and economically.

beetcoin

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:45:16 PM

well yeah, most of us here already know that per capita, america imprisons more of its citizens than any other developed nation in the world. same goes with capital punishment.
nickenburg

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:55:38 PM

Filling prisons with any non violent offenders is just a waste. We also punish them for the rest of their lives by limiting them socially and economically.

Yes putting people in prison for just growing or selling a plant that grows in the nature is just crazy!
Sometimes killers serve less time then people convicted with drugs cases (in the US ofcourse)

I think killers should be punished heavily, but most of the time they are off easy especially where I live in Holland.
The prison sentences are so low, it's like a paradise for criminals, also our prisons are much better then the American prisons.
And weed should be legalized worldwide it's a goddamn plant, look at alcohol man made it and it kills and hurt people everyday.
But they still allow it worldwide just because they can tax it, and also keeps the people happy.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:03:39 PM

Yes putting people in prison for just growing or selling a plant that grows in the nature is just crazy!
Sometimes killers serve less time then people convicted with drugs cases (in the US ofcourse)

I think killers should be punished heavily, but most of the time they are off easy especially where I live in Holland.
The prison sentences are so low, it's like a paradise for criminals, also our prisons are much better then the American prisons.
And weed should be legalized worldwide it's a goddamn plant, look at alcohol man made it and it kills and hurt people everyday.
But they still allow it worldwide just because they can tax it, and also keeps the people happy.

i may sound crazy, but my theory is that government doesn't want people using drugs, especially psychadelics (which is what marijuana is).. because it ends up with people questioning government and the establishment. it's why nixon had to battle the hippies, so he could operate the war in vietnam.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: