Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:12:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver and copper Bitcoins probably do more to confuse people than to enlighten  (Read 2803 times)
barbarousrelic (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 03:13:42 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1958.msg740628#msg740628

I see these silver and copper Bitcoins (not the ones that have embedded Bitcoin codes) and I have to wonder if they are a good thing for Bitcoin - even an above-average person is going to get the wrong impression from these and think that Bitcoin is something physical, made of precious metal, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Why confuse things?

I'm not opposed to AOCS in any way, I think that's a good thing on its own, but it shouldn't be combined with Bitcoin when it is completely unrelated.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markio

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 04:01:44 AM

That AOCS coin is misleading  Huh
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 04:09:43 AM

What is AOCS?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 04:48:47 AM

I get what you're saying, but anyone can make a collectible product and put bitcoin imagery on it; not much we can do about it. There is a market for this, so confusion isn't the goal. They'll likely only be seen/bought by metals enthusiasts who know what bitcoins are anyway, so I don't think it's that big a concern.

Personally, I probably wouldn't show them off to anyone who didn't already know about bitcoins, or at the very least I'd explain how they just used the bitcoin imagery, that it wasn't the actual currency.

EDITED for grammar

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 03:22:52 PM

If a person where to purchase a copper or silver bitcon style round from a coin fair etc. , could this lead them at the very least to ask the question . Is this a bitcoin? , or what is bitcoin ? If that person concludes that they must have an actual bitcoin this would be confusion  Huh , or could they be only a google search away from enlightenment  Grin

I do have a vested interest in copper and silver style bitcoin rounds so I am bias , interestingly it was through the utube silver bullion community that I initially heard of bitcoin . 

Bitrated user: Mick.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 03:30:54 PM

If a person where to purchase a copper or silver bitcon style round from a coin fair etc. , could this lead them at the very least to ask the question . Is this a bitcoin? , or what is bitcoin ? If that person concludes that they must have an actual bitcoin this would be confusion  Huh , or could they be only a google search away from enlightenment  Grin

I do have a vested interest in copper and silver style bitcoin rounds so I am bias , interestingly it was through the utube silver bullion community that I initially heard of bitcoin . 

One take away from this post is the idea of coin fairs. Has anybody considered simply sitting up at one of these to display physical bitcoins?
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:54:06 PM

Below is the product information the Aocs mint has listed with these copper "style" bitcoins .

http://aocsmint.com/copper/2012-copper-1oz-mjb-monetary-metals-bitcoin-tube-of-20oz.html

The intricate circuitry design of this medallion brought to you by MJB Monetary Metals perfectly expresses the currency of the digital age:

BITCOIN

The Bitcoin concept was created in 2009 as a completely digital currency. It exists as a decentralized form of money that can be transferred from person to person over the internet, without going through a bank or clearinghouse. The amount is not limited and the transfer fees are minimal. The total number of bitcoins is permanently set with a calculated release. So, as time goes on, they are released at a decreasing rate until the maximum number of 21,000,000 is met, meaning there is never inflation after the fact.

The AOCS is proud to take the concept of Bitcoin to the next level by having the currency concept minted in .999 fine, investment-grade copper.  On the obverse of this commemorative medallion, the Bitcoin symbol is positioned prominently in the center, bordered by a description of the currency’s key features: digital, decentralized and peer-to-peer.

On the reverse, the fancy, detailed paths of the circuits continue. A computer chip with “AOCS Approved” and “MJB 2012” etched within is well placed on the left-hand portion of the coin.

All text on the coin in written in a style with a high-tech, futuristic feel, allowing the coin’s specifications to blend in well with the overall theme.

This medallion is the perfect tangible representation of the technologically advanced currency, as well as a fine addition to your precious metals assets.

Bitrated user: Mick.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:02:19 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1958.msg740628#msg740628

I see these silver and copper Bitcoins (not the ones that have embedded Bitcoin codes) and I have to wonder if they are a good thing for Bitcoin - even an above-average person is going to get the wrong impression from these and think that Bitcoin is something physical, made of precious metal, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Why confuse things?

I'm not opposed to AOCS in any way, I think that's a good thing on its own, but it shouldn't be combined with Bitcoin when it is completely unrelated.

Bitcoins can be converted to something precious, same as USD. Gold & Silver eagles are rounds too, you would be crazy to use them at a face value.
barbarousrelic (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:58:47 PM

Bitcoins can be converted to something precious, same as USD. Gold & Silver eagles are rounds too, you would be crazy to use them at a face value.
I would say that the printing of face values on gold and silver eagles also only serves to confuse the general public about gold and silver.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: