Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:09:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: artforz and coblee gpu mining litecoin since the start?  (Read 32573 times)
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:32:13 PM

10% as much ltc as i could get by mining btc and buying ltc

this is still 90% gpu-hostile

also, LOL at the panic sell because of this, silly people, this is not going to do anything, no one is going to waste electricity gpu mining ltc (well some will, i mean SC has a couple of miners, silly)

so yeah, go back to your lives people

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shakti

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:36:29 PM

10% as much ltc as i could get by mining btc and buying ltc

this is still 90% gpu-hostile

also, LOL at the panic sell because of this, silly people, this is not going to do anything, no one is going to waste electricity gpu mining ltc (well some will, i mean SC has a couple of miners, silly)

so yeah, go back to your lives people
Mining LTC on GPU needs more power aswell, it's memory intensive and meomry can't be downclocked aswell...
So it is still hostile Smiley

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:39:25 PM

I'm claiming it because it seems obvious to me. If I had proof I doubt you would believe me, just like with this miner.

So, we finally get to the root of the issue.
Coinhunter thinks there might be a GPU miner, but has no proof.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
drakahn

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:46:39 PM

I'm claiming it because it seems obvious to me. If I had proof I doubt you would believe me, just like with this miner.

... well we do have the (worthless) gpu miner

Nachtwind

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:59:19 PM

...and the Cobbleforz miner must be like 50x faster to what Coinhunter (whichever) claims to be profitable... wonderful evidence..

*edit* isnt that more or less what Artforz said? GPU mining IS possible (how could it not be) but absolutely not profitable?
shakti

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:04:32 PM

...and the Cobbleforz miner must be like 50x faster to what Coinhunter (whichever) claims to be profitable... wonderful evidence..

*edit* isnt that more or less what Artforz said? GPU mining IS possible (how could it not be) but absolutely not profitable?

I don't agree it's 100 times MORE profitable as mine Solidcoin with any hardware *lol*

Ahimoth

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:06:05 PM

Don't know what you guys are arguing about, but the proof is here. Run it for yourselves, or check out the video someone posted to youtube.

http://solidcoin.info/reaper.html

http://youtu.be/C7jv4uJt-CY
Nachtwind

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:11:39 PM

Don't know what you guys are arguing about, but the proof is here. Run it for yourselves, or check out the video someone posted to youtube.

Currently we are discussing numbers ,0)

And i still dont see how a non-profitable Miner should be evidence for artforz and cobblee gpu mingin scrypt coins for months..
drakahn

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:22:32 PM

indeed, i agree

abbeytim

Activity: 438

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:00:56 PM

im doing 200kh/s on a stock 5830  Grin
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:36:10 PM

At current difficulty that's about .167 BTC worth of Litecoins per day.  Or you could just mine .25 BTC with the same card.

Mousepotato
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:49:59 PM

You clearly don't know. The miner you linked was not developed by Artforz and Coblee.
Or are you claiming it was? Did mtrlt steal the code from somewhere?

Coinhunter said Artforz and Coblee were using an efficient GPU miner on LTC, but has no proof of this.

Also, I see you guys are conflating speed with efficiency. Did you measure the wattage used to mine with Reaper? If so, where are the numbers?

shakti

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:51:12 PM

At current difficulty that's about .167 BTC worth of Litecoins per day.  Or you could just mine .25 BTC with the same card.

Why am I not surprised that something that loses more money than it generates was developed by the SC DEV?  Grin Grin Grin

~BCX~
Well i wouldn't be so agressive, it's nice mrlt was able to create it. big five
It's unusable atm. cause LTC price is so low, but he did good work. Smiley

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:54:23 PM

On 5870 with default clock & memory
Ahimoth

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 08:13:25 PM

Remember, mtrlt released to the public the *demo* version, aka slow version. This version was just to prove Scrypt is more efficient on a gpu than it is on a cpu.

Using dishwara's numbers from that screenshot (219kh/s), and an estimated 5870 power consumption of 188w, that makes for 1.16kh/w.
Using data from the litecoin wiki it seems a top of the line cpu gets 25kh/s at 125w, that makes for 0.2kh/w.
Being generous, and assuming the litecoin wiki is out of date, and using poolers latest miner, lets just give the cpu 50kh/s at the same 125w, that is still only 0.4kh/w.

Scrypt is *not* gpu unfriendly.

BTW, the current private version of Reaper is getting over 2kh/w when mining scrypt.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 08:36:19 PM

Remember, mtrlt released to the public the *demo* version, aka slow version. This version was just to prove Scrypt is more efficient on a gpu than it is on a cpu.
Nothing to remember.
Where is this "faster" version that people are supposed to remember?
Using dishwara's numbers from that screenshot (219kh/s), and an estimated 5870 power consumption of 188w, that makes for 1.16kh/w.
Using data from the litecoin wiki it seems a top of the line cpu gets 25kh/s at 125w, that makes for 0.2kh/w.
Being generous, and assuming the litecoin wiki is out of date, and using poolers latest miner, lets just give the cpu 50kh/s at the same 125w, that is still only 0.4kh/w.

BTW, the current private version of Reaper is getting over 2kh/w when mining scrypt.
Yeah you SC guys love saying "there's a special version that no one has access to that is 5 times better than anyone else's version"

Why is it that EVERY SC moron thinks that everyone should believe completely unproven comments they make about things being so much better than the current version?
Sure if there is one - bring it out and show it and people may believe (though anyone on this planet would be a fool to run a windows SC binary that also includes text like "bitcoin" in it ... who knows what it does ...)

You just seem like a pure butt slurping brown nosed moron - does CH enjoy you doing that?

Seriously: reality or piss off.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Nachtwind

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 08:37:26 PM

Cant argue with numbers i havent seen myself.. but honestly Ahimoth, as one of the few not so hard headed followers of solidcoin i wonder how you can throw arround some numbers without some proof? Everyone here just hears about that super fast mtrlt miner which might of course exist, but noone has seen it. Also still i want, no i demand, to know what that miner should have to do with coblee or artforz?

So far it was just shown what was said months ago: Scrypt is not profitably minable with GPUs. Not to mention the accusation that those two were using GPU miners all along...
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 08:41:44 PM

What's funny to me about all this is that gpu mining the coin early before anyone else could is exactly what coinhunter did with SC Cheesy.   Such a douche.  You should be banned from this forum.

Huh
Well.. yeah, SC started out as a GPU chain.

Nope.  It started as CPU only, then a few weeks after launch they miraculously "turned on" GPU mining.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44423.0

then

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49219.0

I'm thinking Coinhunter didn't get the desired response LOL  Grin Grin Grin

Keep in mind this is the same scamming punk that released SoiledCoin 2.0 to the fanfare it was CPU hostile only to "discover" two weeks after launch he had a ready to go GPU miner LOL....

The incredible part is that his followers believed he didn't actually have it the whole time....

QFT Smiley

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 08:48:11 PM

I'd like to see some wattage from the wall numbers paired with the various miners results, along with versions of drivers & miners.

The WAGS being tossed about here suggest somewhere between a 100% - 400% gain for using scrypt on GPU over CPU.

Here is another WAG:
A 5870 boasts 2,720 GFLOPS (and I don't know how many integer calcs/sec)
According to export classification docs @ http://download.intel.com/support/processors/corei7ee/sb/core_i7-900_d_x.pdf
A single core (if I am reading it right) of i7-990x can do 90Gflops. So 4 cores could do 360Gflops for 60% of the power consumption of a 5870.
So FLOP for FLOP a 5870 is about 3-4 times as efficient with FLOPS as a i7-990x system. That dovetails nicely with the reaper miner claims of 3-4 times as efficient on GPU.

Now AFAIK scrypt uses only integer calcs, which means the preceding numbers are not very relevant. But it seems more like scrypt is neutral rather than hostile to one platform or the other. Also, when considering using the GPU for LTC, you need to compare LTC vs BTC mining profit potential. When using CPU, you need only consider doing LTC mining with it since GPU mining for BTC is completely pointless.

I still see no evidence and certainly no proof that Artforz & Coblee created a super efficient miner for LTC.

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2012, 08:49:58 PM

Remember, mtrlt released to the public the *demo* version, aka slow version.

from the conversation in irc mtrlt gets from 2 x 6990 1.54Mhash/s (with more shaders)
with no overclocking my 4 x 6950 are getting 1.197Mhash/s
so 0.343 difference over 4 gpu
with some overclocking I can reduce the gap - if I could be bothered....
slow version indeed Smiley

still not viable to mine litecoins on gpu - so yer I think that makes it pretty gpu unfriendly Wink

I have mined against my pool and am submitting valid shares Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: