Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:29:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Introducing LIMOCOIN from Bit-Pay  (Read 3575 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 03:09:29 AM

This looks great, guys! Cheesy

Again, with the option for direct deposit to a bank account, there's little reason for a driver with the smartphone tech to NOT accept bitcoins now (he can always charge a premium if he wants.)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 06:38:15 AM

Fantastic job.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 09:45:00 AM

So if I understand this right, the driver and the rider needs a to set up a Bit-pay account before they can use this service.

If this is the case you should have rolled it out in a single market that 1.  has a lot of drivers and 2.  has a lot of bitcoin users that use a taxi.  Then notify the bitcoin community in that market that XXX Taxi Co. accepts bitcoins.

Otherwise, what is the chance that a rider that knows about bitcoin and has a Bit-pay gets into a taxi driven by a taxi driver that knows about bitcoin and has a Bit-pay account.

I think a better use of your programming talent would be to create online payment processors for all the content management systems and their associated shopping carts (though Bit-pay has a few which is a start).  That way if an online marketplace or vendor wants to accept bitcoins they can do it easily.

Otherwise I think this is cool and hope bitcoin users that ride in a taxi asks their taxi driver if they accept bitcoins.  If they don't then pull out your phone and show them how.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 10:45:09 AM

Fantastic job.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 01:38:13 PM

I'm making an assumption, but I think the reason cab drivers also want to accept cash is to avoid taxes...

If cab drivers report more rides to their home office, then they have to pay taxes on that money.

I'm guessing this as well as the fees associated with credit cards are both reasons why cabbies prefer cash.

Maybe the home office also takes a cut of proceeds for the day.

Next time I'm in a cab, I'll mention this.  Although, I stick to trains & buses mostly these days cuz I'm cheap. Smiley

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 03:24:48 PM

I'm making an assumption, but I think the reason cab drivers also want to accept cash is to avoid taxes...

If cab drivers report more rides to their home office, then they have to pay taxes on that money.

I'm guessing this as well as the fees associated with credit cards are both reasons why cabbies prefer cash.

Maybe the home office also takes a cut of proceeds for the day.

Next time I'm in a cab, I'll mention this.  Although, I stick to trains & buses mostly these days cuz I'm cheap. Smiley

The drivers lease the cabs, and the owners of the cabs care less what they report. The cabbies are independent contractors. The cab owners don't handle any of their financial work with the except of processing their credit card sales, of which the cabbies have to wait to get paid, couple with paying for the privilege of using that service. It's even against the law for a cabbie to not accept credit cards. He'll lose his license. As far as preferring cash, it's to their best interest to have as little on their person as possible due to thieves. Same as the pizza delivery guy, but unlike the pizza guy, a cabbie can't just go home after each fare or two and put his cash in a cookie jar. He's on the road for the duration of his shift, otherwise he loses money. BTW, his shift consists of whatever hours he wants to work, more or less, depending on the availability of the leased cab.

So if I understand this right, the driver and the rider needs a to set up a Bit-pay account before they can use this service.

I don't think this is the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the cabbie needs to set up an account.

Again, with the option for direct deposit to a bank account, there's little reason for a driver with the smartphone tech to NOT accept bitcoins now (he can always charge a premium if he wants.)

During slow periods, Rashid just fires up his Twitter account and announces sales. He could even do a promotion with Bitcoin. It doesn't necessary mean he'll get a sale directly after announcing a sale, but by him doing such, it affords him brand awareness--Chicago Cabbie--possibly for a future fare.

~Bruno~

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 06:08:04 PM

Are you planning to promote this in some big cities? I guess due to an overlap of target audience, it might be interesting to contact MyTaxi or similar services that are rolling up the taxi market right now.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to finding taxis when I set "Bitcoins only!" as a comment along with my myTaxi call.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 06:10:26 PM

Most likely you could even give your app as a library to myTaxi for seamless integration. In the end, success of bitcoin is all about politics and such a cooperation would definitely have major impact.
myTaxi drivers already provided billing information.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 06:11:32 PM

Most likely you could even give your app as a library to myTaxi for seamless integration. In the end, success of bitcoin is all about politics and such a cooperation would definitely have major impact.
myTaxi drivers already provided billing information.

good idea.  I will look into this. 

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 04:02:29 AM

I don't think this is the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the cabbie needs to set up an account.
That's correct.  Only the cabbie would need to setup a merchant account.  The rider can use any bitcoin wallet service (though, be aware, some of the mobile wallets can have delays in sending out transactions that make them unsuitable for such in person transactions).  We are committed to providing solutions that are based on the open bitcoin protocol.  We believe that the open standard nature of bitcoin is what will make it succeed.  If we were to require the buyer (rider in this case) to have a bit-pay account, then we would have no advantage over the walled garden solutions that the various mega-corporations currently offer.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2012, 07:39:05 AM

That's correct.  Only the cabbie would need to setup a merchant account.  The rider can use any bitcoin wallet service (though, be aware, some of the mobile wallets can have delays in sending out transactions that make them unsuitable for such in person transactions).  We are committed to providing solutions that are based on the open bitcoin protocol.  We believe that the open standard nature of bitcoin is what will make it succeed.  If we were to require the buyer (rider in this case) to have a bit-pay account, then we would have no advantage over the walled garden solutions that the various mega-corporations currently offer.

Therefore, the rider can easily pay in advance, like prepaying for gas. Once pumped, you get your change. Once the rider reaches his destination, he receives change, but doesn't have to wait for conformation because at this point he trusts the driver in not going out of business in 10 minutes.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: