Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:54:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why arent you running a full node?  (Read 3066 times)
cdog (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 05:18:56 PM

The bitcoin network needs more full nodes. If you own a computer, and arent running a full node, Id like to hear why.

Its no secret that most people who are mining are simply submitting shares to pools, and dont actually run the full Bitcoin software (this goes for alts as well).

This declining node trend decreases the security and reliability of the Bitcoin network.

More nodes means more security. Download it here:

https://bitcoin.org/en/download

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 12:09:47 AM

I was running one for a month or so, but it was fairly expensive to host ($10/month and I didn't get anything out of it) so I stopped the node after a month. It relayed probably 30 transactions in that month, and I'm not sure if the contributions it made to the network were worth $10 to me and others, which is why I stopped.

I might think about starting one up again if there's a feature implemented that pays node operators - something like a masternode that Darkcoin has implemented. Then it would make more sense to me.

As for security, I think the real security issue we have right now is that Cex.io has been eerily close to having 50% of the network hashrate for months now, IMO having ~7k nodes and worrying about security on them is a lower priority than people having 50%+ of the network hashrate.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 12:54:28 AM

Because it takes too long for me to download the blockchain and I don't want to be using all my bandwidth uploading and downloading on a continuous basis to other peers. Not all of us live in America where unlimited internet is a standard. Not to mention I don't want to have to run my computer 24/7 which is what you're meant to do if you truly want to run a full node properly.
silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 02:39:58 AM

The bitcoin network needs more full nodes. If you own a computer, and arent running a full node, Id like to hear why.

Its no secret that most people who are mining are simply submitting shares to pools, and dont actually run the full Bitcoin software (this goes for alts as well).

This declining node trend decreases the security and reliability of the Bitcoin network.

More nodes means more security. Download it here:

https://bitcoin.org/en/download

And don't forget to forward port 8333.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128122.0
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 06:07:46 AM

I thought I was by running Armory but found that I may not have the correct port enabled.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 01:28:04 PM

Virus signatures in the block chain.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2014, 04:22:07 PM

I run a partial node but not a full node 24/7, but it would be nice if there was a node/tip-jar/fee for running one to cover electricity and internet.
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:01:58 PM

This may be a wrong belief, I think running a full node exposes my home computer to potential attacks. There must be a secure way to setup a full node without sacrificing security, but I do not know how to. I will just leave it to the more able bitcoiners.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Majixagi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:32:44 PM

How much of an issue is this, really? Last I saw there were over 8,000 nodes.

That being said I decided to fire up my full node again at home. As far as security, I don't have any populated wallets on the linux virtual machine it runs on. I port forward manually off my firewall. I use the "connect=<ip>" configuration option on my laptop which has my real wallet so that I'm not downloading the blockchain twice on the same network connection. I feel that adds an additional layer of buffering between my laptop which is not always on and the rest of the net.

has not sold out
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:51:54 PM

Just because my sdd is only 120gb and I already have a hard time with it.
Keeping a few gb's free so I can install anything I want.
I do however have a network hdd where I can store my download's so that makes it a little easier!
Also I didnt know that you could run a node by just having the bitcoin software open.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:57:59 PM

Also I didnt know that you could run a node by just having the bitcoin software open.

Having it open and allowing incoming connections.  You know your allowing incoming connections when you have more than 8 connections.

guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 12:02:17 AM

This may be a wrong belief, I think running a full node exposes my home computer to potential attacks. There must be a secure way to setup a full node without sacrificing security, but I do not know how to. I will just leave it to the more able bitcoiners.
I've heard that as well - I think you'd be safe though by encrypting your bitcoin wallet. I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect that would protect you from any incoming attacks.
mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:06:42 AM

I have had a problem running a full node ever since I unblocked the port that it needs. (Before that the client always had about 8 connections.) Now the number of connections gradually rises over a period of a few days if I let it untill there are over a hundred connections, and then my screen freezes and I have to do a hard reset. This may be caused by low memory on my machine.

If I could limit it to a sane number of connections I and perhaps others would run a node all the time.

Suggestions?

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
mintymark

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:07:09 AM

Its an Ubuntu 12.04 system by the way.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:21:09 AM

I have had a problem running a full node ever since I unblocked the port that it needs. (Before that the client always had about 8 connections.) Now the number of connections gradually rises over a period of a few days if I let it untill there are over a hundred connections, and then my screen freezes and I have to do a hard reset. This may be caused by low memory on my machine.

If I could limit it to a sane number of connections I and perhaps others would run a node all the time.

Suggestions?

Use the command line argument "-maxconnections=n"

mintymark

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:59:22 AM

os2sam - Thank you for that. I had looked for such a thing, obviously ineffectively!! I shall try this.

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:01:18 AM

there needs to be a way to run a full node on a raspberry or similar device, with little electrical cost and no space requirements.
Farmer17

Activity: 674

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:26:20 AM

The major reason is that I don't have a high internet bandwidth (esp. the upload bandwidth)...

ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:04:16 PM

there needs to be a way to run a full node on a raspberry or similar device, with little electrical cost and no space requirements.
i have a raspberry i would like someone to tell me how to set it up
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 08:27:56 PM

The major reason is that I don't have a high internet bandwidth (esp. the upload bandwidth)...
speaking of bandwidth, here's what's consumed by around 700 bitcoind connections after a new block (other tcp connections for p2pool/aliencoin)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: