Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:14:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This guy accidentally sent 800 coins to an old Mt.Gox address - he needs help  (Read 6972 times)
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:31:41 AM

i hope this is all a great rouse in a valiant attempt to create accountability towards former gox assets.

i hope "pg" is somehow involved?  Grin

legally the supposed "mr mistake" should be able to recover their funds via a swift return to sender.

and on a tangent...

technically, is the address sent to confirmed part of the discovered assets of the gox bankruptcy holdings?
do those parties actually have access to over 200k btc?  have they moved them to another address for safe keeping to prevent someone with a copy of the private key from taking the funds? 

if so can is there a wallet address with the new withheld funds? i would love to see the held funds magically dissapear prior to any sort of liquidation return :-)

no btc will be acknowledged or returned

not going to happen or at least for several years. and then it will be the thing that happened back way when it was just the beginning that we all just let go because of all the underlying factors we can only talk about now.

my "2 sat"
freedombit

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:00:17 AM

From the May 21st letter:

(6)
(i) Persons owing debts to the bankrupt entity are not to repay such debts to the bankrupt entity.
(ii) Persons possessing assets of the bankrupt entity are not to deliver such assets to the bankrupt entity.

Seems to me that no such money should be changing hands and that you should get your 800 BTC back. With that said, the person controlling the wallet will have to cooperate. I hope that you get your BTC returned.

Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:19:13 AM

I think you were lucky. If you were going to send 800BTC to an incorrect address, you could hardly have picked a better one to do it. Mtgox being run by a court appointed trustee, not being allowed to accept new deposits, your odds of recovering your funds seem far better than with any address in my btc addressbook.
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 07:38:59 AM

I think you were lucky. If you were going to send 800BTC to an incorrect address, you could hardly have picked a better one to do it. Mtgox being run by a court appointed trustee, not being allowed to accept new deposits, your odds of recovering your funds seem far better than with any address in my btc addressbook.

the odds of winning pick 4 seem far better than mega millions
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 08:14:54 AM

First of all, what was the reply from mtgox support?
Did you write to magicalTux (Mark) on the forums?

Go on IRC and catch magicalTux. He comes now and then. Ask him politely to send your bitcoins back.

I don't see why they cannot be returned. This incident happened after the bankruptcy filing. His only excuse is "Sorry we lost the private key".. Keep an eye on the coins.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
DJFC

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 11:09:13 AM

Thanks for the input everybody.  I've retained a lawyer in Tokyo, and am trying to get a hold of anybody at Mt. Gox simultaneously.
williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 01:33:52 PM

I hope you have best of luck and I will be praying for you

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:17:57 PM

Thanks for the input everybody.  I've retained a lawyer in Tokyo, and am trying to get a hold of anybody at Mt. Gox simultaneously.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

Please keep us updated. I really think there is a good chance you can get the coins back.

Also if they do have the private key and are able to access that wallet it's a good sign for people who have money at gox. So I'm sure people will be interested to hear what happens there.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 09:13:02 PM

I really hope you get all of your coins back. I have less than a bit coin to my name and tend to get nervous when moving even .0001 around. 

Farmer17

Activity: 674

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:48:46 AM

If they still have the private key of that address, you should have a good chance getting your bitcoin back.
Good luck. Smiley

ifightformerkel
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:11:24 PM

i dont understand people who have so much btc.

this guy have maybe maybe several million dollar in btc.
Why you dont cash out and make a nice live?

now he lose 500.000 Dollar
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 04:13:35 AM

Apologies for digging up a semi-old thread but it seems that the coins have recently moved:

http://blockchain.info/tx/5f2e0c373b515ab6fdd4b479f328ba3e5a0aa3c53cd2c3835e9d479b1949f13a

Now that address has a balance of 0 BTC. What's going on here?
fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:33:14 AM

Apologies for digging up a semi-old thread but it seems that the coins have recently moved:

http://blockchain.info/tx/5f2e0c373b515ab6fdd4b479f328ba3e5a0aa3c53cd2c3835e9d479b1949f13a

Now that address has a balance of 0 BTC. What's going on here?

It seems Mark won´t have any trouble how to pay his rent for the next months.

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
CoinFire

Activity: 322

Online at CoinFire.io

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 11:53:49 PM

Just wanted to give everyone an update... the guy got his coins back.

Details are here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/29tdt3/remember_the_800_btc_fuckup_guy/ciobxk0

notserp
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:04:01 AM

Just wanted to give everyone an update... the guy got his coins back.

Details are here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/29tdt3/remember_the_800_btc_fuckup_guy/ciobxk0

nice

that was a lot of coins lol
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 03:05:41 AM

I wonder how much the lawyer cost.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 07:40:20 PM

Congrats man! I'm glad to see you got your coins back. Losing that much money would probably result in suicide by some people

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:19:50 PM

Glad to hear that he got his coins back, and that he has dished out some coins as thanks (quote taken from his Reddit post @ http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/29tdt3/remember_the_800_btc_fuckup_guy/ciobxk0):

I have recovered my bitcoins!
Special thanks to:
/u/throwaway43572
Bobby Lee of BTC China
The Bitcoin Foundation
Mark Karpeles
and
Uchida & Samejima Law Firm in Tokyo
/u/throwaway43572 has been rewarded 2.5 BTC
And I will be making a donation to the Bitcoin Foundation shortly.
Thanks for your support.
Any questions?

Interesting addition there in his list of thanks.

The owner of the coins must be feeling so relieved now as that must have been quite an ordeal. That's nearly $500k worth of coins, more importantly now, it's 800 BTC!

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 11:36:12 PM

I wonder how much the lawyer cost.

Would be surprised if it wasnt 4 figure number, when he also rewarded someone with 2,4 btc.
Anyways, im glad dude got his coins back.

Its insane enough to send coins without tripple checking the address, but to recover them from something like mt.gox, he must have one good guardien angel above his head.

Cheers
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 12:10:41 AM

I'm not surprised he got them back. The MtGox bankruptcy administrator is under the court's microscope, unlike the average private key holder.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: