Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:39:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining 7970 with linuxcoin bounty [20 btc]  (Read 6106 times)
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:16:09 AM

so, How do I get my 7970 working on linuxcoin?  Those links you sent me are fairly old, and do not address the 7 series.  Also, it looks like a whole new operating system which I would prefer not to use. 

My 18 rigs(42g) mostly run on linuxcoin.  btw, how is that for density?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:37:04 AM

$54 Motherboard with rebate - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138303
$40 CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888
$10  RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820576001
$16 USB Stick - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220504

A whopping $120 bucks for 4 slot mining rig (6 if you use PCI - PCIe adapters), giving you the ability to run up to 8 GPUs, though I would recommend 2 5970's and 2 5870's, maybe 3 5970's and 1 5870 depending on your PSU.

Throw in a rebated OCZ 1200w PSU for $225 and you got yourself a pretty rockin' system.  If you wanted to spend a few bucks more, you can find a 5 pcie mobo and either beef up your PSU a bit (if you can find a 1400w) or use two PSU's and power 3x 5970's and 2x 5870's.

As for additional power usage, you are using up 3x - 4x required power per machine, so it's 300%  - 400% of the required power for 6 - 8 GPUs respectively.  

I have a couple mobo's I run 6 cards on, though since Linux has an 8 GPU limit, most of them are 5870's.  Windows has a 4 GPU limit if I recall, or did they finally fix that glaring deficiency?

Thanks for the info....will definitly use this in the future. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 02:34:20 AM

Is there even a reason to mine with linux?

Yes, 
1. easy headless rigs.   with windoz you loose temp control
2. operating system on a usb
3. new operating system up in 3 minutes.  nothing to mining in 4 minutes
4. ssh access to the rigs.

do I need to go on?

It's Free

Windowz SUCKS

Better/friendlier support

The list goes on

People actually pay for windows still? Anyone who still pays for windows is going to have a hell of a time using linux.
Why can't you control the temp?
It only takes 15 mins to install windows, if your familiar with linux it makes sense. I don't actually see any benefits that justify messing with a new OS. I was under the impression you needed dummy plugs to run a large miner in linux. Linux is smaller for a usb stick, refurrbished hard drives are only 20 bucks though. I thought about doing it myself but I don't see the point. Not like it's going to save anything.
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 03:12:49 AM

Not like it's going to save anything.

dont have to buy harddrives. 
dont have to install operating system from cd. 
dont have to pay to spin the harddrive

you can ssh into a mining rig and still see the temp and clocks. in windows apparently when remoteing in, temps and core clocks dissappear, if you can even mine at all.

dont have to pay billy boy
dont have to hook a monitor up to the computer.

that all being said, I am typing this message on a 24in win764 miner14. Smiley

cuz0882

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 03:41:23 AM

you can ssh into a mining rig and still see the temp and clocks. in windows apparently when remoteing in, temps and core clocks disappears, if you can even mine at all.

you still have to buy a usb, same price.
hard drive is like 6 watts(few cents a year), you can actually run windows on a usb if one wanted to.
I do like your idea of accessing it remotely, I never really mess with mine though. Been up for about 2 months without crashes.
I just use one monitor, to watch all my miners, they don't need dedicated monitors. Could be a pain if you set one up at another location though.
yochdog
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:10:05 AM

you can ssh into a mining rig and still see the temp and clocks. in windows apparently when remoteing in, temps and core clocks disappears, if you can even mine at all.

hard drive is like 6 watts(few cents a year), you can actually run windows on a usb if one wanted to.
I do like your idea of accessing it remotely, I never really mess with mine though. Been up for about 2 months without crashes.
I just use one monitor, to watch all my miners, they don't need dedicated monitors. Could be a pain if you set one up at another location though.

Havent any of you heard of Remote desktop connection?  I remote into all of my Win7 PC's to check up on CGminer.  Works like a charm. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:14:13 AM

Havent any of you heard of Remote desktop connection?  I remote into all of my Win7 PC's to check up on CGminer.  Works like a charm. 
RDP fucks with the drivers, often if I use it to connect things go wacky, and if I stop the miner I can't start it again. However, LogMeIn (free version) works great, and has a nice little wake-on-lan feature built into the control panel.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
yochdog
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:18:34 AM

RDP fucks with the drivers, often if I use it to connect things go wacky, and if I stop the miner I can't start it again. However, LogMeIn (free version) works great, and has a nice little wake-on-lan feature built into the control panel.

Had this problem with GUIminer......CGminer and Diablo seem to work great. 

cuz0882

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:23:43 AM

Of course I've heard of it, last time I tried messing with it I had no luck. I turned off all the firewalls and checked the router ports but it still didn't work. Only time I really need to get on them is to change fan settings or clock speeds. Should not need to until it starts getting hot outside again.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 04:43:45 AM

RDP... lord.  Why do you want an entire GUI to mine?  You are using command line utilities to mine with text miners from a GUI.  That just makes no sense.  Why not bypass the GUI all together.

As for dummy plugs, you have that backwards.  Windows requires dummy plugs, Linux does not.  Linux allows 8 GPUs, Windows does not (unless that's been fixed in the past few months).  Windows is an inferior mining platform under any circumstance; there is literally nothing compelling about using Windows as a mining platform.

Refurbished $20 drives fail fairly often... the USB stick, not so much.  Generates less heat and takes up almost no power as well.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
cuz0882

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 05:35:14 AM

RDP... lord.  Why do you want an entire GUI to mine?  You are using command line utilities to mine with text miners from a GUI.  That just makes no sense.  Why not bypass the GUI all together.

As for dummy plugs, you have that backwards.  Windows requires dummy plugs, Linux does not.  Linux allows 8 GPUs, Windows does not (unless that's been fixed in the past few months).  Windows is an inferior mining platform under any circumstance; there is literally nothing compelling about using Windows as a mining platform.

Refurbished $20 drives fail fairly often... the USB stick, not so much.  Generates less heat and takes up almost no power as well.

I run most my systems with 3x 5970's and never used dummy plugs. Not sure what people were doing to require them. I'm not using the new catalyst or anything. You can go 4x 5970's with extenders and what not. The GUI does not slow down mining. I originally was going to try ubuntu, but there was no driver support for my usb adapters. The only real benefit to linux that anyone has mentioned here is the size of the OS. A full install of windows takes a 16gb usb. I plan on needing hard drives to sell my cases and mobo's anyway though. I actually started using 60gb agility ssd's. There just sexy... If I had previous experience with linux like I bet you have, I may have gone that route.
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 09:55:12 AM

RDP... lord.  Why do you want an entire GUI to mine?  You are using command line utilities to mine with text miners from a GUI.  That just makes no sense.  Why not bypass the GUI all together.

As for dummy plugs, you have that backwards.  Windows requires dummy plugs, Linux does not.  Linux allows 8 GPUs, Windows does not (unless that's been fixed in the past few months).  Windows is an inferior mining platform under any circumstance; there is literally nothing compelling about using Windows as a mining platform.

Refurbished $20 drives fail fairly often... the USB stick, not so much.  Generates less heat and takes up almost no power as well.

100% right. Anyone using Windblows for mining is LOL Cheesy

An poster above ^. SSD, really ? Cheesy
cuz0882

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 11:14:37 AM

Got remote desktop working, some stupid security certificate was set wrong. Guess I gave up to easy last time.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 11:30:28 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2012, 01:45:43 PM by jake262144

I was under the impression you needed dummy plugs to run a large miner in linux...
Is that really how misguided your opinion on Linux mining is?

It's the heap-of-fail AMD drivers are that made dummy plugs necessary. The problem was OS-agnostic though different driver versions solved it for Windows and Linux.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 01:34:12 PM

I run most my systems with 3x 5970's and never used dummy plugs. Not sure what people were doing to require them. I'm not using the new catalyst or anything. You can go 4x 5970's with extenders and what not. The GUI does not slow down mining. I originally was going to try ubuntu, but there was no driver support for my usb adapters. The only real benefit to linux that anyone has mentioned here is the size of the OS. A full install of windows takes a 16gb usb. I plan on needing hard drives to sell my cases and mobo's anyway though. I actually started using 60gb agility ssd's. There just sexy... If I had previous experience with linux like I bet you have, I may have gone that route.

Heh, I assure you that the GUI is slowing down your mining.  It's not a lot, but it's there.  For example, I get about 396 MH/s per GPU on a set of GPUs I have under Widows and if I run the same GPUs under Linux, both with poclbm, the hashrate is around 404 MH/s.  All thanks to loading up that heavyweight GUI for absolutely no reason.  Translates to about 60 MH/s loss across all GPUs.

As for sexy SSDs... I'm more concerned with efficiency and profit, not how good my rig looks.  My rigs live in the basement and in the data center, and unless something is wrong, I never see them.  I'll take an ugly 3 GH/s rig over a pretty 2 GH/s rig any day.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 04:18:01 PM

when remoteing in, temps and core clocks disappears,

cuz0882

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 11:16:34 PM

I get 395mhash per core average @ 1.100, 870mhz on 3x 5970 rigs

What are u running at to get 404?

My temps and core clocks don't disappear. What are you using to control your core clocks?
yochdog
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 01:55:13 AM

I get 395mhash per core average @ 1.100, 870mhz on 3x 5970 rigs

What are u running at to get 404?

My temps and core clocks don't disappear. What are you using to control your core clocks?

careful bro.....you are gonna get screamed at.  Dudes don't like dissent. 

marked

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 09:46:07 AM

why not just pxeboot/tftpboot/<whatever flavour of the month network booting method> all the linux boxes, no disk, no usb flash - just sufficient RAM to store something like BAMT, a network with a list of mac addresses of the cards to boot the relevant OS, and or driver configs required.

marked
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 11:32:04 AM

why not just pxeboot/tftpboot/<whatever flavour of the month network booting method> all the linux boxes, no disk, no usb flash - just sufficient RAM to store something like BAMT, a network with a list of mac addresses of the cards to boot the relevant OS, and or driver configs required.

marked

Yeah this would be pretty ideal. Saves using those shitty USB drives that fail ever so often.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: