Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:55:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining 7970 with linuxcoin bounty [20 btc]  (Read 6118 times)
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:25:11 PM

can you just detail the steps you needed to
and I have an alternate version that supports 7970s

I might be able to just reproduce those steps on my linuxcoin distro.  which would satisfy the bounty.

I would be willing to try your distro if I cannot do the above.  PM me with a link to the file.  I will not be able to try this for a couple of days.

txs

Sure, I can detail the steps for you, but the offer will still be open should you want a 64bit OS to support 8 GPUs....though I guess with 7970's you're not likely approaching 8. I will do this tonight when I get home....although it will be late, just to let you know.

jjiimm, I am having difficulties with my 7970 rig, so I am hesitant to offer any advice. Sorry for the delay, I am about to lose it and I wouldn't want you to have my problems. It keeps locking up...see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74736.msg836914#msg836914

Thanks for the update.

I will be running dedicated 7x series rigs, so the instability problems may not be an issue with linuxcoin.
 My issue is that I have not installed drivers at all with ubuntu.  To top it off, if I start out with 7x series, linuxcoin wont even boot properly.  so I think I have to put in an older card, install new drivers, remove xorg file, shutdown, put 7x cards in and then boot.  but I not sure and dont have the time to do much experimentation.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nathanghart

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:34:22 PM

I might be able to just reproduce those steps on my linuxcoin distro.  which would satisfy the bounty.

I would be willing to try your distro if I cannot do the above.  PM me with a link to the file.  I will not be able to try this for a couple of days.

txs

Sure, I can detail the steps for you, but the offer will still be open should you want a 64bit OS to support 8 GPUs....though I guess with 7970's you're not likely approaching 8. I will do this tonight when I get home....although it will be late, just to let you know.

jjiimm, I am having difficulties with my 7970 rig, so I am hesitant to offer any advice. Sorry for the delay, I am about to lose it and I wouldn't want you to have my problems. It keeps locking up...see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74736.msg836914#msg836914

Thanks for the update.

I will be running dedicated 7x series rigs, so the instability problems may not be an issue with linuxcoin.
 My issue is that I have not installed drivers at all with ubuntu.  To top it off, if I start out with 7x series, linuxcoin wont even boot properly.  so I think I have to put in an older card, install new drivers, remove xorg file, shutdown, put 7x cards in and then boot.  but I not sure and dont have the time to do much experimentation.

I tried linuxcoin and decided to scrap it because it would not startx once I installed the drivers. What I did was remove GDM and manually startx in rc.local and it works like a charm. I had the same problem no matter what form of linux I used though...I tried linuxcoin, xubuntu, and debian with the same results. I think my issues are with the 5970s and the driver for 7970 not working with 12.2,12.3 or the dedicated for 7970 .921 driver.

I can type up the instructions for getting the 7970s working now that I have verified that 5970s and 7970s will not work together and my problem should not affect you.
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 07:37:25 PM

txs

Thanks for the update.

I tried linuxcoin and decided to scrap it because it would not startx once I installed the drivers. What I did was remove GDM and manually startx in rc.local and it works like a charm. I had the same problem no matter what form of linux I used though...I tried linuxcoin, xubuntu, and debian with the same results. I think my issues are with the 5970s and the driver for 7970 not working with 12.2,12.3 or the dedicated for 7970 .921 driver.

I can type up the instructions for getting the 7970s working now that I have verified that 5970s and 7970s will not work together and my problem should not affect you.

If the instructions work and I can mine with cgminer with similar results (~660Mh @1100/1000 )  then you get the bounty!

nathanghart

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 08:44:39 PM

Ok, give this a whirl. These are not all 100% my own ideas. There are countless others to thank if this works, especially in the start up scripting...which was primarily taken from: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51622.0 and kano from cgminer thread.

Code:
#### I did not have luck letting GDM auto-login work, so I recommend removing GDM and using a script to startx, you can try it without this option if you want
$ update-rc.d -f gdm remove
$ sudo apt-get purge gdm
$ sudo dpkg --purge gdm
$ sudo nano /etc/rc.local
#add this line just before exit 0:  su - user -c startx &
control o enter
control x
$ sudo sync
$ sudo coldreboot
#### end remove gdm auto-login to replace with startx

#### download and install driver
$ cd /home/user/Downloads
$ wget http://www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/hotfix/radeon_7900_series/amd-driver-installer-8.921-x86.x86_64.run
$ sudo chmod +x amd*

#### this next step should be run from VNC or directly on the machine instructions for vnc setup here, but you can skip if doing locally
$ sudo chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*
$ sudo xauth merge /home/user/.Xauthority
$ export DISPLAY=:0
#### And now your ready to connect using X11 forwarding.
#### Windows users can select X11 forwarding in putty by ticking the box located on the menu sidebar/Connections/SSH/X11.
#### end VNC setup

$ sudo ./amd* --force
#### GUI installation will eventually open select all the default options to install
1) Install driver 8.921 - continue
2) !Agree
3) Automatic
4) Exit
#### GUI complete

$ sudo aticonfig --adapter=ALL -f --initial
$ sudo sync
$ sudo coldreboot

$ sudo su
# cd /opt
# wget http://developer.amd.com/Downloads/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64.tgz
# tar -xvzf /home/ubuntu/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64.tgz
# cd AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64/
# cp -pv lib/x86_64/* /usr/lib/
# rsync -avl include/CL/ /usr/include/CL/
# tar -xvzf icd-registration.tgz
# rsync -avl etc/OpenCL/ /etc/OpenCL/
# ldconfig
# sync
# coldreboot

#### other configurations
add this line to rc.local : /usr/local/bin/miner-launcher.sh 60 &
#### nano /usr/local/bin miner-launcher.sh
#!/bin/bash
DEFAULT_DELAY=0

if [ "x$1" = "x" -o "x$1" = "xnone" ]; then
   DELAY=$DEFAULT_DELAY
else
   DELAY=$1
fi

sleep $DELAY

screen -dmS cgm su user -c "/usr/local/bin/startcgminer.sh"
#### control x

#### nano /usr/local/bin/startcgminer.sh
#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

cd /opt/miners/cgminer     #or where you put cgminer...i think this is the defualt location in linuxcoin
./cgminer -c cgminer.conf  # or whatever options you want
#### control x

#### make executable and change owner of the above files
$ sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/*miner*.sh
$ sudo chown root:root /usr/local/bin/*miner*.sh
####

that should do it....
coldreboot and see if it works.
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 02:48:05 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2012, 03:40:17 AM by jjiimm_64

Ok, give this a whirl. These are not all 100% my own ideas. There are countless others to thank if this works, especially in the start up scripting...which was primarily taken from: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51622.0 and kano from cgminer thread.

Code:
#### I did not have luck letting GDM auto-login work, so I recommend removing GDM and using a script to startx, you can try it without this option if you want
$ update-rc.d -f gdm remove
$ sudo apt-get purge gdm
$ sudo dpkg --purge gdm
$ sudo nano /etc/rc.local
#add this line just before exit 0:  su - user -c startx &
control o enter
control x
$ sudo sync
$ sudo coldreboot
#### end remove gdm auto-login to replace with startx

#### download and install driver
$ cd /home/user/Downloads
$ wget http://www2.ati.com/DRIVERS/hotfix/radeon_7900_series/amd-driver-installer-8.921-x86.x86_64.run
$ sudo chmod +x amd*

#### this next step should be run from VNC or directly on the machine instructions for vnc setup here, but you can skip if doing locally
$ sudo chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card*
$ sudo xauth merge /home/user/.Xauthority
$ export DISPLAY=:0
#### And now your ready to connect using X11 forwarding.
#### Windows users can select X11 forwarding in putty by ticking the box located on the menu sidebar/Connections/SSH/X11.
#### end VNC setup

$ sudo ./amd* --force
#### GUI installation will eventually open select all the default options to install
1) Install driver 8.921 - continue
2) !Agree
3) Automatic
4) Exit
#### GUI complete

$ sudo aticonfig --adapter=ALL -f --initial
$ sudo sync
$ sudo coldreboot

$ sudo su
# cd /opt
# ldconfig
# sync
# coldreboot

#### other configurations
add this line to rc.local : /usr/local/bin/miner-launcher.sh 60 &
#### nano /usr/local/bin miner-launcher.sh
#!/bin/bash
DEFAULT_DELAY=0

if [ "x$1" = "x" -o "x$1" = "xnone" ]; then
   DELAY=$DEFAULT_DELAY
else
   DELAY=$1
fi

sleep $DELAY

screen -dmS cgm su user -c "/usr/local/bin/startcgminer.sh"
#### control x

#### nano /usr/local/bin/startcgminer.sh
#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

cd /opt/miners/cgminer     #or where you put cgminer...i think this is the defualt location in linuxcoin
./cgminer -c cgminer.conf  # or whatever options you want
#### control x

#### make executable and change owner of the above files
$ sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/*miner*.sh
$ sudo chown root:root /usr/local/bin/*miner*.sh
####

that should do it....
coldreboot and see if it works.

Thank you for the instructions:  will document what I did/do here.

test rig:
6950 slot 1
7970 slot 3
monitor and keyboard and mouse directly

create new linuxcoin usb stick with 500 persistence
boot, gdm does not load
followed instruction for removing gdm and adding 'su - user -c startx &' to rc.local
coldboot
during boot, cannot find startx,  ctrl c  to stop
sudo find / -name startx  (nothing)
shutdown,  put new 'live-rw' on stick to start over

my plan now is to install the driver without the 7970 in rig...  rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf,  shutdown, put 7970 in rig and boot..  crossing fingers

remove 7970 from test rig
boot into linuxcoin GUI
open root console to execute 'download and install driver'
download driver
execute downloaded file.......   no space left on device
shutdown
create new linuxcoin with 1000 persistence
boot, download driver, chmod +x,  execute driver...  
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
shutdown
install 7970  reboot
black screen......
shutdown, remove 7970
boot into linuxcoin GUI

attemp to execute the following:
Code:
$ sudo su
# cd /opt
 after extracting AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64.tgz   there is no directory AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64
  executed the Install-AMD-APP.sh per the README
  execute the 'rsync -avl include/CL/ /usr/include/CL/'  there is no directory  /opt/include/CL
sync
coldreboot

booted into linuxcoin GUI  ( I can tell by the display that it is definitely diff drivers)
usually if I want to add or remove cards in linuxcoin, all is needed is :  rm  /etc/X11/xorg.conf, shutdown, change cards, reboot

but now there is no xorg.conf file....

adding 7970 and booting now.

rig booted to command prompt..  attempted aticonfig init all,  command hung
attempted aticonfig listall,  command hung...

reboot..  black screen........  shutdown, boot to windoz.  mine

as you can see i have no idea what I am doing with X and such..  I have now learned how to install the new drivers but I am still at the point that I cannot get the GUI to load if the 7970 is in the rig. that is the hump i need to jump.

nathanghart

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 03:11:48 AM

shoot. I assumed linuxcoin would have this installed, but I should have double checked:

$ sudo apt-get install xinit

this has startx as a wrapper for xinit. 

However, if you are not having problems with it NOT launching x at start like I was, then there is no need for the whole gdm workaround that I did.
nathanghart

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 04:18:52 AM

Thank you for the instructions:  will document what I did/do here.

test rig:
6950 slot 1
7970 slot 3
monitor and keyboard and mouse directly

create new linuxcoin usb stick with 500 persistence
boot, gdm does not load
followed instruction for removing gdm and adding 'su - user -c startx &' to rc.local
coldboot
during boot, cannot find startx,  ctrl c  to stop
sudo find / -name startx  (nothing)
shutdown,  put new 'live-rw' on stick to start over

my plan now is to install the driver without the 7970 in rig...  rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf,  shutdown, put 7970 in rig and boot..  crossing fingers

remove 7970 from test rig
boot into linuxcoin GUI
open root console to execute 'download and install driver'
download driver
execute downloaded file.......   no space left on device
shutdown
create new linuxcoin with 1000 persistence
boot, download driver, chmod +x,  execute driver...  
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
shutdown
install 7970  reboot
black screen......
shutdown, remove 7970
boot into linuxcoin GUI

attemp to execute the following:
Code:
$ sudo su
# cd /opt
 after extracting AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64.tgz   there is no directory AMD-APP-SDK-v2.6-lnx64
the tar -xvzf should have created the include and amd directories...was it successful? where you in the /opt directory when you ran tar?
 executed the Install-AMD-APP.sh per the README
  execute the 'rsync -avl include/CL/ /usr/include/CL/'  there is no directory  /opt/include/CL
sync
coldreboot

booted into linuxcoin GUI  ( I can tell by the display that it is definitely diff drivers)
usually if I want to add or remove cards in linuxcoin, all is needed is :  rm  /etc/X11/xorg.conf, shutdown, change cards, reboot
Code:
after reboot you need to run sudo aticonfig --adapter=all -f --initial which creates the xorg.conf file...then sync and reboot

but now there is no xorg.conf file....

adding 7970 and booting now.

rig booted to command prompt..  attempted aticonfig init all,  command hung
attempted aticonfig listall,  command hung...
huh, I have not seen this was it as sudo or root? if it still doesn't boot the gui, does it give a blue error page? That is what I always get and therefore installed $ sudo apt-get install xinit and removed gdm with the rc.local change
reboot..  black screen........  shutdown, boot to windoz.  mine
lol...if it works for you, who's to judge

as you can see i have no idea what I am doing with X and such..  I have now learned how to install the new drivers but I am still at the point that I cannot get the GUI to load if the 7970 is in the rig. that is the hump i need to jump.

yeah, sorry it's not working out better for you, try those suggestions and let me know if it still fails.

Best,
Nathan
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 07:36:12 PM

bounty upped to 20

Joshwaa

Activity: 497
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 07:56:26 PM

I do not know if you have heard of BAMT but he is working on a 7970 release if your interested.

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
jjiimm_64 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:22:09 PM

I do not know if you have heard of BAMT but he is working on a 7970 release if your interested.

Dont want or need bamt.

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 10:10:40 PM

Dont want or need bamt.

Let me get this right = you like Linuxcoin better ?

Or your own distro ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: