Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:05:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypothetical Bitcoin Questions for YMB **Episode Released!** NOW DISCUSS!!  (Read 5002 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tim-tams (OP)

Activity: 479
Merit: 252

You, Me, and BTC: *Your* Liberty & Bitcoin Podcast

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 04:15:38 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2014, 02:20:41 AM by tim-tams

Update 6/12: This episode has been released!! Please tune in to see if your question was mentioned and then come back here to discuss what we talked about! Thanks to everyone who contributed!

=====

Update 6/9: This episode has been recorded and will be released this Thursday. We'll let you know when it's out!

=====

Hello there! Daniel Brown here from YouMeAndBTC.com. We host a weekly podcast there and had an interesting idea recently. We want to collect all sorts of hypothetical questions related to Bitcoin and try to respond to them on the show. Submissions can be as wild or as serious as you want, provided they are truly hypothetical. The situations posed must not be real things that happen with Bitcoin (i.e. what will happen when the block reward halves?). Instead, we want things that are impossible.

A good example of a wild question: What if Bitcoins were actually digital unicorns waiting to be released into the real world?

A good example of a more serious question: How would people use Bitcoin differently if there were to be 21 billion coins instead of 21 million?

Both of those types are acceptable and encouraged. We will take any that we like and discuss them on the show. I made this topic self-moderated because I want to avoid everyone getting sidetracked with a debate about just one or two questions. You may respond briefly if you have any thoughts about someone else's question, but in general, we want this thread to be just a cool list of questions. Feel free to submit as many as you like. We will do our best to mention who submitted each question that we talk about on the show.

Let me know if you have questions about how this all works or anything too. Thanks and have fun!

"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 04:29:33 AM

I got one, but you probably won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Bearing in mind that the person in question is on record in stating that such-and-such is 100% NOT true, thus the following question can now be considered 100% hypothetical: What if a pedophile (NOT accused) was elected as a board member of The Bitcoin Foundation?

Remember, this is 100% hypothetical, and if you believe that this is not the case, then clearly state such on this forum.

~Bruno Kucinskas
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 05:31:34 AM

I got one, but you probably won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Bearing in mind that the person in question is on record in stating that such-and-such is 100% NOT true, thus the following question can now be considered 100% hypothetical: What if a pedophile (NOT accused) was elected as a board member of The Bitcoin Foundation?

Remember, this is 100% hypothetical, and if you believe that this is not the case, then clearly state such on this forum.

~Bruno Kucinskas

Yeah that's probably a good question. I haven't done much research on this so I don't really have an opinion right now, but I think it's safe to say there is some uncertainty. That would make "What if a DEFINITE pedophile was elected?" a hypothetical question.

Thanks! Keep them coming!

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 05:50:15 AM

What if the hokey pokey really is what its all about? And will it be sha or scrypt?

tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 12:04:37 AM

What if the hokey pokey really is what its all about? And will it be sha or scrypt?

Definitely something we need to be thinking about these days haha. Bring on more!

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:27:51 AM

what if basement dwelling armchair activists that live off social security, actually got off their ... behinds.. and used their computer skills in bitcoin jobs.

what if people stopped worrying about factors that wont affect them in their lifetime, and instead found solutions to todays problem

and for the tinfoil hatters
what if the zombified sheeple that happily accept the government screwed them, that happily drink fluoride water to keep them zombified. all, at the same time woke up tomorrow and decided not to be screwed over...

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:32:10 AM

Would it be possible for another alt-coin to overtake Bitcoin within the next 5 years in terms of value and avaliable kiosks to use it?
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:38:34 AM

Would you rather fight a Bitcoin-sized Dogecoin or a hundred Dogecoin sized Bitcoins?
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:56:06 AM

What stage of bitcoin adoption is required before the following takes place:

1. USD is dethroned as the world reserve currency
2. US economy tanks and bankrupts the country
3. US government starts pushing draconian style tactics to scare/prevent people away from bitcoin
4. The people in the US recognize bitcoin has serious advantages over us currency and begin to abandon it

Add timeframes to make it more entertaining Smiley

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 01:18:04 AM

No stage of bitcoin adoption is required for these things to happen. These eventualities were set into motion long before Bitcoin was invented. It's self-destruction at its finest.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:41:53 AM

No stage of bitcoin adoption is required for these things to happen. These eventualities were set into motion long before Bitcoin was invented. It's self-destruction at its finest.

Bit coin can ease the pain of the inevitable transition. Maybe even provide an orderly one if they are smart. 

tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 05:13:46 PM

3. US government starts pushing draconian style tactics to scare/prevent people away from bitcoin
4. The people in the US recognize bitcoin has serious advantages over us currency and begin to abandon it

Add timeframes to make it more entertaining Smiley

I'm not entirely sure that those are hypothetical questions, but they could certainly still be worth talking about. Thanks!

tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 05:14:39 PM

Would you rather fight a Bitcoin-sized Dogecoin or a hundred Dogecoin sized Bitcoins?

Great question haha I can almost guarantee this will make the show.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 06:45:10 PM

If it's placed in geostationary orbit above the aurora, will jgarzik's bitcoin satellite be powerful enough to broadcast the blockchain over the whole globe via the magnetosphere?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 07:00:11 PM

The following questions are from grubles in the #bitcoin-otc IRC channel. I'm posting them here for others to see and so we don't forget about them.

1. What impact would a flaw in sha256 have on Bitcoin?

2. Is there a possibility of altcoins with the same name as Bitcoin having an effect on price, like has happened with penny stocks with similar ticker names?

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:21:32 PM

What would happen to bitcoin if tomorrow we noticed Satoshi moving some of his coins mined in 2009?

What would happen if bitcoin core devs started dying in mysterious circumstances? Could bitcoin recover from such losses?

If GHash.io was discovered executing sucessful double spending attacks on the network, would people still have faith in bitcoin?

If people started targeting large mining operations with bomb attacks to attempt to lower the difficulty, how would miners respond?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 09:19:03 PM

What if Bitcoin was really created by Raëlians?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABlism
http://rael.org/

The following pic is begging to be photoshopped. Please don't disappoint!

tim-tams (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 01:39:50 PM

What would happen to bitcoin if tomorrow we noticed Satoshi moving some of his coins mined in 2009?

What would happen if bitcoin core devs started dying in mysterious circumstances? Could bitcoin recover from such losses?

If GHash.io was discovered executing sucessful double spending attacks on the network, would people still have faith in bitcoin?

If people started targeting large mining operations with bomb attacks to attempt to lower the difficulty, how would miners respond?

Those are all exactly the sort of questions we're looking for. Thanks!

medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 03:16:56 PM

Hypothetical: What would happen if the bitcoin network was hacked and then restored by a fork?  How would that affect us in 2014?  How much value would be lost in the network? 

This is off the top of my head, you can alter/refine it anyway you like.

serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:52:30 PM

Okay fine...

what would happen to bitcoin if we all woke up to Red Dawn tomorrow to discover we're being physically invaded by China AND Russia who've had just about enough of our shit?  Grin

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: