Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:57:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica charging interests (feb 13)  (Read 2003 times)
Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2012, 06:48:45 PM

Announcement: We have started paying out interest for currency account balances. We will only start settling "swaps" for BTC/USD positions after February 16, 2012 - 00:00:00 UTC.
https://www.bitcoinica.com/pages/interest

Does this rate (long / short) expected to change often ?

What is Dayly PIP ? APY ?

How am I affected having a 10 000$ long BTC position ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 05:04:41 AM

I must be reading this wrong.  It sounds like they will pay you ~13% interest to store your USD with them (either with no position or else BTC short but you offset it with a long on MtGox).

That is about 10x above the risk-free rate, so there must be hidden risk here...

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 05:28:34 AM

I must be reading this wrong.  It sounds like they will pay you ~13% interest to store your USD with them (either with no position or else BTC short but you offset it with a long on MtGox).

That is about 10x above the risk-free rate, so there must be hidden risk here...
They are using it to fund their "No Reserve" habit.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 11:02:29 PM

They are using it to fund their "No Reserve" habit.

And WTF is their excuse for having spreads in the interest rates?  If the goal is to give people an incentive to store whichever kind of currency they're short of (USD right now), a zero-spread interest rate would achieve that.  Having the "buy USD" and "sell USD" rates be different is just pure greed.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 11:05:39 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2012, 12:02:34 AM by Transisto

They shouldn't charge interest on existing positions.

It look like they're breaching the contract mid term to me.
kronosvl

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 11:06:32 PM

And WTF is their excuse for having spreads in the interest rates?  If the goal is to give people an incentive to store whichever kind of currency they're short of (USD right now), a zero-spread interest rate would achieve that.  Having the "buy USD" and "sell USD" rates be different is just pure greed.

Z doesn't need an excuse, he simply can do it.
We need some competition here.

Donations are accepted @: 19Uk8zVhdgfrRo5Z6wH9yghWxZUtdiNtX9
OTC: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewgpg.php?nick=kronosvl
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 11:21:05 PM

They shouldn't charge interest on pre-interest positions.

They give you until the 16th to close your position without interest.  Also, what contract?  Any contract you think you have is assumed.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 11:57:36 PM

They shouldn't charge interest on pre-interest positions.

They give you until the 16th to close your position without interest.  Also, what contract?  Any contract you think you have is assumed.
The previous terms were : You can keep this position for as long as you want unless it drop by x%, no interest,
The new term is : Lose on your position right now or lose anyway later with interests.

When I entered into this position their reserve was scarce so I agreed to pay this premium as part of the risk.

This is unethical weather there was an actual contract or not.
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:28:20 AM

This is the wild wild west. Everything is sold as-is without any warranty.  Sorry if you don't like the new system, but you are free to leave.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 02:13:14 AM

This is the wild wild west. Everything is sold as-is without any warranty.  Sorry if you don't like the new system, but you are free to leave.
+1

Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2012, 05:33:17 AM

Wild west financial institution ?  ... I want my BTC back, all.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 05:44:57 AM

Wild west financial institution ?  ... I want my BTC back, all.

tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 10:54:00 PM

Can someone dumb this down to the layperson? Smiley

I just deposited a small amount since I saw they paid interest.  Was I mistaken?  I don't plan on doing any trading, just wanted to have it sit there and collect interest. 

But I'll withdraw if I misunderstood this, or if I will end up being charged..
Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 11:36:55 PM

I have no idea if it is even implemented yet,  I have not received a single email about it on any of my accounts.

As if it is mandatory to log into the website or read the forum to get informed that they've changed the rules.

I have looked everywhere I see no places when I can see interests being paid-out,  maybe if I had a round number of bitcoin I'd have noticed.
tonto

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 05:02:05 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2012, 05:36:22 PM by tonto

Well I'll find out in approx 9-11 days... I calculated that's when I'll get .01 worth of interest.  Smiley

(er, assuming I'm using the correct formula for compound interest) Smiley

I totally had the wrong formula.  I'll find out in 4 months with my current deposit. Smiley

(can someone post a stupid formula that I can plug into Excel??)
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 07:09:49 PM

Well I'll find out in approx 9-11 days... I calculated that's when I'll get .01 worth of interest.  Smiley

(er, assuming I'm using the correct formula for compound interest) Smiley

I totally had the wrong formula.  I'll find out in 4 months with my current deposit. Smiley

(can someone post a stupid formula that I can plug into Excel??)

There's no compound for unpaid interest. The current interest rate for Bitcoin deposit is 0.55. So if you have ฿1, you will be paid ฿0.000055 every day. Then it's going to take about 200 days to make the first 0.01.

If you have ฿100, you'll receive an interest payment approximately every 2 days based on current rate.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
tonto

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:26:38 PM

ok, I get it now.  Thanks for the reply. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: