Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:17:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - shutting down trading / deposits and returning all client funds  (Read 22188 times)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 11:40:44 PM

Jered is there any way to withdraw money from TradeHill into MtGox or other exchange? Maybe through bitinstant... I'm from Europe and I have USD in TradeHill and I wanted to avoid high fees from a wire transfer + currency conversion.

With no paxum I have no good way of getting my usd out either. If there isn't a way I could transfer it to MtGox could you send me the equivalent in btc?

/edit:
A redeemable MtGox code would be ideal.

And how long is withdrawing btc supposed to take? Isn't it supposed to be almost instantaneous?   in process... still waiting...
/edit: It just went through. 

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oOoOo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 11:45:15 PM

Isn't there a way for you to move operations offshore? I'm sure Chile is far more friendly towards finance related businesses than an over-regulated place like the US?
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 11:48:10 PM

Jered is there any way to withdraw money from TradeHill into MtGox or other exchange? Maybe through bitinstant... I'm from Europe and I have USD in TradeHill and I wanted to avoid high fees from a wire transfer + currency conversion.
Hi Jered, I'm in the same situation here. A redeemable MtGox code would be ideal.
Cheers

I talked with Bitinstant on IRC and they told me that they are setting up a system for withdrawals from TradeHill into other exchanges. From what they told me it will be ready in a few days.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 13, 2012, 11:54:16 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2012, 12:45:18 AM by the joint

Resolved
sonba

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 12:10:58 AM

Really a pitty - I loved TH Sad
Well, all the best for the next project and your suit against dwolla and tanks for the excellent service!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 12:13:52 AM

Repasted from this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63762.0

--------

Firstly,

I want to say what an honor it was been working with Jered, Adam, and Berk @ TradeHill. I've never came across such a fantastic team of people.
Most of you may not know this but Jered and Adam have been an integral part of Bitinstant, and have been working with us since day 1.
Jered and I have become close friends and I have never worked with such a ethical and hardworking team.

We are currently finishing up our TradeHill withdrawal system, it will be ready within 48 hours.

You will be able to withdaw your TradeHill USD to the following destinations:

-MtGox
-CryptoXchange
-VirWox
-Bitcoinica
-Dwolla (Will be ready by Friday)

While we're not sure what fee we will charge (if any) it will be very low. 

If you would like to be made aware as soon as its ready, please reply to this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63762.0 and I will PM you when we launch.

The system will be simple, go to Withdrawal Options in your TradeHill Account and choose BitInstant.
We hate to see TradeHill go, and we will do everything in our power to not let the Bitcoin liquidity be effected by it.

-Charlie, Gareth and the Team @ BitInstant.com

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 12:14:37 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2012, 12:28:19 AM by trentzb

I wish you good fortune Jered/TH. But I must say not responding to queries (or timely response) about funds held at TH over the past couple weeks is the single most important reason I won't do business with Gox/TH and I know of several others that feel the same way. When I ran a business that suffered outages and periodic failures the first priority was solving the failures but equal and sometimes higher priority for some customers was honestly conveying the situation...not making promises I *might* not keep, but advising customers and allowing them to choose to wait it out or not. I saved better than 99% of customers this way, failures were rare but when they occurred and the customer was communicated with, I saved a customer almost for life. I couldn't get rid of some if I tried, they won't leave.

When I had to admit I failed a customer or let them down I didn't want to admit it (regardless of whether my fault or a providers fault), least of all to them. But I found it made all the difference in the world to them and when running a datacenter for them...I suppose running financial based businesses may be considerably different.

I just would like to encourage all the exchanges and Bitcoin businesses, talk to your customers, even when it is painful and you don't have the time. You may be surprised by what you find.

BTW, I had no funds in TH or Gox during either of their issues...I suppose it is easier for me to critique as such...

Edit: I don't intend to be bashing TH, rather just suggesting a method of success that worked for me,  no matter if it was a $2k/mo T1 customer or a $20/mo 56k dialup (yes, it was 1990's)
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 12:21:14 AM

AUD   1.0505165637
CLP   3.5642268
EUR   0.4505647183
LR   0.5729219078
USD   2.0118972398

...and no way of getting rid of these soon (except the USD, but then I'd have to trust bitinstant + mtgox or other bitinstant partners - which I don't).
 Embarrassed

I sure hope you get TH back on track!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Jessynoo

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 12:33:37 AM

I talked with Bitinstant on IRC and they told me that they are setting up a system for withdrawals from TradeHill into other exchanges. From what they told me it will be ready in a few days.

Good to hear Charlie will be our savior once more (he already helped quite a few of us after the exchangebitcoins shutdown).
I just hope it won't become too much of a habit ;-)

Anyway, I'm sorry you had to take that decision Jered.

It's probably a bit late for that kind of reflection, but since it will be the 3rd bot I have to shut down on dnnbitcoin, I suppose I can add my 2 satoshis:
I reckon setting the minimum order to 1$ was part of the problem. I understand that your environment could not handle too much traffic for some reason, but that limit prevented you from collecting substantial fees, not only from users with little resources, but also from market making bots like ours, which issue many small orders around the spread. Over the past month, most Mt Gox bots on our platform have generated about 10 fold their users' resources in monthly transactions whereas Tradehill bots would generate only a fraction of that, because of that limit.

Hopefully you can sort that out together with your licensing.

Regards
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 12:44:08 AM

I wish you good fortune Jered/TH. But I must say not responding to queries (or timely response) about funds held at TH over the past couple weeks is the single most important reason I won't do business with Gox/TH and I know of several others that feel the same way. When I ran a business that suffered outages and periodic failures the first priority was solving the failures but equal and sometimes higher priority for some customers was honestly conveying the situation...not making promises I *might* not keep, but advising customers and allowing them to choose to wait it out or not. I saved better than 99% of customers this way, failures were rare but when they occurred and the customer was communicated with, I saved a customer almost for life. I couldn't get rid of some if I tried, they won't leave.

When I had to admit I failed a customer or let them down I didn't want to admit it (regardless of whether my fault or a providers fault), least of all to them. But I found it made all the difference in the world to them and when running a datacenter for them...I suppose running financial based businesses may be considerably different.

I just would like to encourage all the exchanges and Bitcoin businesses, talk to your customers, even when it is painful and you don't have the time. You may be surprised by what you find.

BTW, I had no funds in TH or Gox during either of their issues...I suppose it is easier for me to critique as such...

Edit: I don't intend to be bashing TH, rather just suggesting a method of success that worked for me,  no matter if it was a $2k/mo T1 customer or a $20/mo 56k dialup (yes, it was 1990's)

I appreciate the feedback and it's great advice. There are things we should have done differently I won't dispute that at all. We were really caught off guard when both of our primary bank accounts were closed without warning and forced to wait for the funds to be released. With Chase it took nearly 20 days to get the funds out. That said we had to downsize to conserve funds and no one at TradeHill had been getting paid for several months. We will be concentrating much more on our communication during this shutdown period and in the future.

Thanks,
Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 12:46:17 AM

AUD   1.0505165637
CLP   3.5642268
EUR   0.4505647183
LR   0.5729219078
USD   2.0118972398

...and no way of getting rid of these soon (except the USD, but then I'd have to trust bitinstant + mtgox or other bitinstant partners - which I don't).
 Embarrassed

I've got about $12 USD in my TradeHill account:  Jered, please keep it, you deserve it, I know how hard you've worked and how hard a fight it is to interface with our designed-in-the-1960's-duct-tape-and-bailing-wire rats-nest-of-regulations banking/finance system.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
jothan

Activity: 184

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 01:01:36 AM

Ouch.

Dealing with TradeHill has always been a pleasure, looking forward to do some trading again once you get yourselves back up !

Cheers.

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
oOoOo

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 01:07:10 AM

I've got about $12 USD in my TradeHill account:  Jered, please keep it, you deserve it, I know how hard you've worked and how hard a fight it is to interface with our designed-in-the-1960's-duct-tape-and-bailing-wire rats-nest-of-regulations banking/finance system.

^Agreed! I just donated half of my BTC to the bitcoin.com dev and I would like to donate the remainder I have in my account to the Tradehill team!
All the best,
oOo

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 01:15:01 AM

AUD   1.0505165637
CLP   3.5642268
EUR   0.4505647183
LR   0.5729219078
USD   2.0118972398

Embarrassed

Thanks Gavin,

There are a lot of people holding between ten cents and ten dollars with us. We enabled a method to donate to Bitcoin.com development that you're welcome to use. We're going to use 100% of these funds for development on the site and want it to have plenty of features for the community. It's naturally the first place a lot of people go and we don't want to use it exclusively for ourselves. It should always have plenty of information about Bitcoin it's self and links to other useful sites within the community.

We've actually had a surprising number of people send us emails saying something similar. We truly appreciate the support we've received from the community and want to continue to see Bitcoin grow. Interfacing with the traditional finance / regulation has by far proven to be the hardest and most stressful part.

-Jered

moneyandtech.com
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 01:22:16 AM

Good luck getting back up and running, your hard work has been very valuable thank you!
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 02:40:01 AM

Jered-

I had a deposit (#43288) from LR that was never added to my TradeHill balance, and now just says 'Canceled'. The money hasn't been sent back to my LR account, though. Will I be receiving that back soon?

I'm grumpy!!
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 02:41:48 AM

Very sorry to see you guys shut down  Sad

I've been a very active trader at TH for a while now, so it's a real bummer to see you guys go.  I wish you the best with Bitcoin.com, and hope to see Tradehill v2 come back soon!

Sending the 40 some-odd Euro I had laying around your way as well, you guys deserve it, and I have nowhere to withdraw Euro to anyways Smiley
Maria

Activity: 832

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 02:58:00 AM

july, 29, 2011

Jered my friend. Forget Paxum, they will throw you under the bus as soon as the USA Government puts any type of pressure plus I doubt the heaviness of their wallet.

Please, I know you already deal with liberty reserve but you need to accept Deposits and Withdrawals ONLY via Liberty Reserve. Not treat it as a separate currency as you do right now.

In short, if you only accept Liberty Reserve, you will never suffer from these pains you are suffering now. I offered in the past my help and the offer stays in place...let me know.

Maria.

I warned you but you just did not listen.

Maria.

Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 14, 2012, 03:34:14 AM

july, 29, 2011

Jered my friend. Forget Paxum, they will throw you under the bus as soon as the USA Government puts any type of pressure plus I doubt the heaviness of their wallet.

Please, I know you already deal with liberty reserve but you need to accept Deposits and Withdrawals ONLY via Liberty Reserve. Not treat it as a separate currency as you do right now.

In short, if you only accept Liberty Reserve, you will never suffer from these pains you are suffering now. I offered in the past my help and the offer stays in place...let me know.

Maria.

Maria.
yeah, i remember you something along that line.

and luckily, i gave up signing up my account with them.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2012, 03:59:19 AM

july, 29, 2011

Maria.

Maria.

I understand where you're coming from but Paxum wasn't the reason we shut down. It was just bad timing.
We haven't had any problems with Paxum and I can't blame them if they were told by their banks to stop working with us.

I appreciate the post though.
-Jered

Jered-

I had a deposit (#43288) from LR that was never added to my TradeHill balance, and now just says 'Canceled'. The money hasn't been sent back to my LR account, though. Will I be receiving that back soon?

Yes, if you already have an open ticket leave it there. If not submit one. I'm going through the backlog now and future emails will be answered much more promptly. We still have a few hundred emails to go though.
-Jered

moneyandtech.com
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: