Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:07:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Terraminer Half Speed PSU/Board problem??  (Read 9382 times)
venom2049 (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:34:24 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2014, 05:04:00 AM by venom2049

One of my Cointerra Terraminer wont work at full speed, the second PSU shows a orange light and I heard that it might be my power supply. So I bought a brand new one and still didnt work so since my machine is out of warranty I decided to open it to see if I could find the problem. Well I tested the wires coming out of the power supply and I noticed that there s no power going to the main board from the wired nor power coming out of the board connected to the PSU. Does anybody had the same issue before? Is there anyway I could get just the board that connects the psu to the wires??? I would really appreciate any kind of help

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tinto

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:30:28 PM

I also have the same problem that you do, I found out that what's causing the problem is the little chip attached to the PSU, I switched them and the faulty one started working and the other one stopped. While doing that the faulty one caught on fire aswell.. I guess that the solution is to get another piece of hardware like that, or similiar.. If anyone knows where I can get one, of even if I can get one please share it. Smiley
albela83

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 06:22:14 PM

I have the same problem. If Anyone knows where to get that please let me know
albela83

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:30:21 PM

I have the same problem. If Anyone knows where to get that please let me know

this is what i have been able to find dont want to spend money to see if it works or not since the design is different.
http://media.digikey.com/Photos/Power-One%20Photos/SNP-OP-BOARD-01.jpg
venom2049 (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:06:55 PM

I found something similar at cointerra forum but now the forum is not accessible which sucks
emba4

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:53:20 AM

these things have tons of issues that can make them not boot, in this case i can think of two. one of which has a fix which i dont understand the workings of but it works so i dont question it. lets start with the important bit, does your PSU power up at all, eg does the orange light go green them flick back to orange?

if it flicks orange/green

this seems to be an issue with the watercooling, not the actual cooler itself just the system not correctly reading it, if you watch the lights on the front of the board they will cycle across and then stop and restart, i dont have an actual fix here as swapping the board into another rig didnt work, it still clicked out the power indicating that its not the pump at fault but something on the board. in any case the half fix is to simply unplug the offending water pump (do one then the other, youll know if it starts hashing that you got the right one) its not going to bring it fully back to life but it will hash on just the core that the cooling is connected to.

next up is what happens if you just get an orange light on the psu and the fan on it turns on (in this state it will still power the beaglebone too) and im not entirely sure why this fix works but when i swapped the cables round on the power board (12v off and onto and and vice versa) it powers up, i have no clue why this worked but it did

i have had 2 PSUs fail on the rigs i look after before too and they dont do that, you just dont get lights at all and nothing happens, i do have the original data sheet for them too and the second time around we just replaced it rather than sending the rig all the way back to the US, heres a link to where i found them:

http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/PFE1100-12-054NA/179-2421-ND/2627912

but for info there will be no 12v unless the green lights are both on, if you want to test if the PSU is good disconnect everything from the power board and connect just the board to the PSU and power it, this should fully switch it on and give you both green lights (obviously dont touch the terminals, theyre live) as long as that happens your PSU is likely good and the problem will be on the board. what we do need is for cointerra to open source that board firmware as these things have a ton of issues.

also it looks like cointerra have ditched their forum, pretty much all mention of it is gone
albela83

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:33:15 PM

I got the PSU swapped and everything unplugged water cooler pump nothing.

the fan never turns on.
emba4

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:54:28 PM

if the fan doesnt turn on then its not the water pump, it looks almost identical to the prob i solved by swapping the 12V and GND terminals, AC light on but not DC, does it power the beagle if connected? The DC light doesnt need to go green for that)

also have you tried powering the PSU with just the power board connected? no beaglebone and no big power connection? if its still not firing up then try the board thats having problems in place of the board that still works, eliminate everything else individually, will the board hash? if yes will both PSUs power it up with a known good power board? (dont forget to test with the terminals connected both ways just to be safe) if yes then its almost certainly the PSU, i think its likely to be the powerboard or mainboard though id guess as you still have power in the supply or the lights at the back wouldnt be on
albela83

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:02:10 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2014, 03:17:38 PM by albela83

well okay the PSU's are good. I unlatched the power going to the board and its shows both green light that means

PSU is good.
Connector from PSU is good. now nothing connected except the fan and the power still no fan?
does that mean that the board is gone?

the beagle powers up
can access the web interfacce but no fans or hashing Sad
albela83

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:15:22 PM

what do you mean by swapping the psu cables? did you buy new cables
emba4

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:33:08 PM

that sounds like its almost identical to the problem i had (well one of them anyway) and i literally mean what i say on the cables, i didnt get new ones just changed how they are connected. unscrew the bolt that holds in the 12v (green and yellow wire) remember which terminal it came off, now unscrew the bolt for the black GND wire, bolt the black GND cable to the terminal you took the 12V green and yellow cable off, likewise bolt the 12V to the terminal the GND cable came off, do this only at one end (either on the power board or on the main goldstrike board) hopefully it should now power up. why this works i dont know, but it seems to
venom2049 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:49:13 PM

Well I just literally did all that right after I read your post, I found out that the PSU board works fine because it still powers the beagle board but it wont power the main CT1 board. I did remove the wires just to see if there is power coming from the psu board and I got 12v steady but as soon as I plugged the wires connected to the CT1 board the DC green light goes orange so is not my psu board is something with the main board. I unplugged all the fans and cooling pump and still nothing so I dont know what else to try, no fans worked at all the board remained dead at all times. I which I could post a video so you guys can see. Any other ideas?? I can not acces my cointerra forum anymore sinces those bastards deleted the whole forum Sad
phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:51:26 PM

Take a picture of the two boards connected to the PSUs (one board per PSU).

There is a fairly large component in the middle of the board that has a tendency to explode....
venom2049 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:43:02 PM

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:48:56 PM

It's strange that the good board has the +12V line on the outside, but the bad board has the +12V on the inside.

Assembly error?
venom2049 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 06:39:47 PM

that crossed my mind as well but the order in how they are connected to the board is switch as well so that has nothing to do they are even label backwards.  the good board has black as ground and green as power on the other one green is ground and brown is power.
phantomcircuit

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:36:58 PM

Try replacing the metal washer in the center of the power board with a non-conductive washer.

It looks like it could be shorting.
venom2049 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:00:08 PM

but the other board has the same layout, what makes you think that will make any difference?? I notices that if the power cables are not connected to the main board there is 12v going thru the wires but as soon as I plug the wires to the board there is a spark and the psu goes from all green to green and orange :S
phantomcircuit

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:31:57 PM

but the other board has the same layout, what makes you think that will make any difference?? I notices that if the power cables are not connected to the main board there is 12v going thru the wires but as soon as I plug the wires to the board there is a spark and the psu goes from all green to green and orange :S

It looks a bit closer to the orange component.
venom2049 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:35:20 PM

hmm?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: