Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:41:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I do not want blockchain data stored under Application Data folder, how to  (Read 41720 times)
litecoinpadawan

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:38:34 AM

On Windows Vista or later, the whole %appdata%\Bitcoin directory can be replaced with a symbolic directory link:
(0) Make sure the bitcoin client is not running.
(1) Move the %appdata%\Bitcoin directory to its target location (e.g. d:\bitcoinData)
(2) Run the command prompt as root and issue the command mklink /d "c:\users\<your_user_name_here>\appdata\roaming\bitcoin" "d:\bitcoinData"
done!

This allows you to keep bitcoin client data anywhere, e.g. on a secure local fileserver.
Guys, Really this is the better one, I literally forgot that i was using it, ive been using it all the bitcoin clients across my house's computers it works great and im even using Shortcuts instead!

Not to be the a threadomancer but this set of instructions really helped me out. Bitcoin was getting too large for my SSD and this is the perfect solution. Just make sure you backup you wallet before doing so.

Also in order to make a symbolic link we need to remove the existing bitcoin directory in the appdata folder by either cutting and pasting it or moving it all together.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hll

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:34:12 AM

I Would like to part the wallet from the blockchain (database, index and everything ).
Store the wallet on a HDD, and store the blockchain on the, occasionally volatile SSD or external Flash drive.

I'v tried using symbolic links for the blk*, blocks folder, and chainstate folder. when loading QT, it crashes
...Also, it is only supported for destination-NTFS paratition. not all usb flash (such as mine) support these.

I Consider opening a feature request on the GIT. it seems like a VERY needed feature to part the wallet and the BC, for the storage requirements of each very different...

Again, moving the whole data dir is NOT an option, for the fact that HDD are much more prone to erros than flash or SSD.

(Search keywords, what I tried too lookup on google:
offloading the blockchain onto an ssd or flash drive )
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:54:52 AM

My solution is to create a bat file in the same directory as the exe for litecoin/bitcoin/dogecoin/etc
You need to disable the "run at startup" option in the client itself, as this would create a shortcut at the startup dir for running the client with the default data directory. Trying to change that shortcut will be futile as it will reset to the defaul form (IIRC whenever you look at options menu)

bat file code:
Code:
IF NOT EXIST .\DATA mkdir DATA
start bitcoin-qt.exe -min -datadir=.\DATA
exit

As you can see, it uses a relative subdirectory called DATA and located inside the client's folder.
It creates that directory if it doesn't exist because otherwise the client will error out saying the directory is missing and self terminate (instead of creating the directory)

Then you just need to put a shortcut to that bat file in the startup directory and set that shortcut to run minimized to avoid an unsightly command prompt coming up every time.
The reason I use "start" and "exit" is to ensure that the cmd prompt itself is gone after the program starts.

oh, and make sure to change bitcoin-qt.exe to litecoin / dogecoin / whatevercoin as needed

Hi!
i need to run the wallet as administrator. How can i change the bat file to do that?

Thanks!
mrjoebruno

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:10:51 PM

I know this is an old thread but I had to use it a couple times and wanted to share some useful info.

If you want to create a symlink to a new bitcoin data directory in Windows you have to make sure that the original directory is either deleted or renamed. I suggest the following:

Shutdown bitcoin client
rename C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin to something else, like bitcoin_old
Then create the new directory where you want your data to be stored, example E:\bitcoinData
then you can run the mklink command. mklink /d "c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin" e:\BitcoinData

I had trouble with this and the command fails if the original bitcoin directory is still there. So you have to rename it.

Also, if you want to do the same for a NAS share, you have to specify the full path to the share, and not the drive letter:

mklink /d "c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin" \\nas-server-name\BitcoinData

njcarlos

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:33:12 AM

On Windows Vista or later, the whole %appdata%\Bitcoin directory can be replaced with a symbolic directory link:
(1) Move the %appdata%\Bitcoin directory to its target location (e.g. d:\bitcoinData)
(2) Run the command prompt as root and issue the command mklink /d "c:\users\<your_user_name_here>\appdata\roaming\bitcoin" "d:\bitcoinData"
done!

This allows you to keep bitcoin client data anywhere, e.g. on a secure local fileserver.
Great, thank you! I'm surprised there isn't a setting to specify a destination location for blockchain data, etc. With the size exceeding 25GB already, it's probably well overdue.
GlooBoy
Copper Member

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

Leave everything to me!

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 03:41:30 PM

done!

Great, thank you! I'm surprised there isn't a setting to specify a destination location for blockchain data, etc. With the size exceeding 25GB already, it's probably well overdue.

Yeah,

This seems to be fixed in bitcoin core 0.9.3

I was asked twice: First when 'opening' bitcoin,

and again when starting for the first time with a warning to the 25GB blockchain size

GLooBoy @ OTC--LBC--BitRated -- GPG ID: A23D510BD6E310D3
Beginner and Expert Level FREE Escrow for All | GiftCards for Crypto -- Cryfter.com from 2012 to 2017
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: