Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:26:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive RockMiner R-Box Setup [HD]  (Read 59448 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 04:01:57 AM

Hey guys,

I am currently using BFGMiner & the R-box with this command line:
bfgminer -o stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -u username -p 123 -S all --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S rockminer:\\.\com5

I am currently getting roughly 32 GH/s. Is there any way to optimize the command line to increase the output? I don't know how to set the rmu frequency in BFGminer. I have a 48 watt power supply as well.

tldr, cgminer.

CeeHustle

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:15:33 AM

Out of curiosity, have you tried switching to 270? I almost feel like mine ran better at 270 than 290. I will test soon and report back, as well as just leaving it with the default clock.

edit: What does the 37.0C mean? I have 39.

RKM 0: 39.0C | 32.70/32.59/32.92Gh/s | A:381 R:1+0(.26%) HW:0/none

lol...  Thank you for making my evening, Captain America!  37.0C means the unit is running at 37.0 degrees celcius.  It's the temperature of the device at the current moment, provided conveniently in the metric temperature scale currently used by every single country in the world with the exception of the USA, the American Samoas, the US Virgin Islands (excluding Puerto Rico, where they also use celcius, and Guam, where the locals use celcius yet they also have to include Fahrenheit everywhere due to the large 'merican military/civilian presence there), along with Myanmar and Liberia.  Should note that Liberia has been in the process of changing everything over to the metric system for I think about 3 years now, and Myanmar announced beginning the process to switch last year, which means soon the USA will be the only one that still refuses to adopt the most accurate (and easiest to learn) system for measuring anything in the world. In celcius (C), water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C.  

It's what all the American doctors, pharmacists, astronauts, high detail or precision manufacturers, biologists, chemist, and even drug dealers use.  They can't break down a pack to be 28 perfectly even packages on a scale measuring ounces. Also I'd sound like a cunt asking someone if they've got 1/28th of an ounce of weed I can grab.  28 grams in an ounce. You can get gram scales that go to several decimals, even.  You can't break an ounce down into individual gram-sized decimals...  Can you imagine telling someone you need 0.035274 ounces of anything?  Also... pharmaceuticals are all in milligrams...  Beyond even possible to think about measuring that in ounces or pounds.  I always wondered why America won't let go of the old, confusing British method of measurement, especially during and after they fought a war against each other.

P.S. No hard feelings...  Just your post gave me a laugh.  I'm assuming you understand what the metric system is, and may or may not use it yourself, but probably thought the number was indicative to something else.  Some friends were watching hockey on TV a few months back, I arrived and I don't watch hockey.  Then, I noticed that a period is almost done and asked one of them how many periods there were, I thought maybe four.  To quote Georges St-Pierre, they were "not impressed".
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 06:46:55 AM

Don't go blaming the imperial system on the British as if it was our fault. It was the best (only) system the world had at the time.

CeeHustle

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:26:42 AM

Don't go blaming the imperial system on the British as if it was our fault. It was the best (only) system the world had at the time.

Hah...  I'm not blaming anything on the British! Well, not tonight, anyways (I'm 3/4 Irish, so I got lots of stuff to pick on them for)...  The Imperial System made the best out of the situation at the time...  And the UK started integrating metric in the 1960's, whereas I'm in Canada, and we didn't really start working on it until the mid-1970's.  Also the Brits in North America in the 1700-1800's were starting to use metric over here.  'murricans didn't like it much when the British were trying to teach them these new, better units that they learned from the French.  I'm blaming the US for shooting it down every time people push for metrication there.  When there's only three countries that exclusively use the wonky measurement system that someone developed back around the Norman Conquest, and it's still virtually unchanged a thousand years later...  The only real thing the 'murricans changed was the size of a pint.  They can't hang with Canadians, Irish or British like that...  They needed to lower the strength of the beer and take a 20 ounce pint and make their American pint only 16 ounces.

The biggest nation of drug users, and the main measurement system for drugs is also the metric system...  So they can manage to score a couple grams in a sack, and can figure that much out...  All they have to do is take another step and they're halfway to adopting it.  

I do gotta say though...  If they're really the "best country in the world", then how the hell is Liberia going through metrication before they do?

P.S. Thank you for this post, I really enjoy your mining threads to get a chance to see new equipment
Omarko

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:04:16 AM

hi guys, Im a rookie in the bitcoing mining but read through the whole thread which has been very insightful.

Quick question, do I have to run separate instance of cgminer application for each miner I have ? I have 3 of these rockminers on the way.

Also, how does the install process work from drivers point of view using zadig? Is there a separate one for each or just one driver and it recognizes all connected devices?

thanks in advance!
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 01:54:11 PM

hi guys, Im a rookie in the bitcoing mining but read through the whole thread which has been very insightful.

Quick question, do I have to run separate instance of cgminer application for each miner I have ? I have 3 of these rockminers on the way.

Also, how does the install process work from drivers point of view using zadig? Is there a separate one for each or just one driver and it recognizes all connected devices?

thanks in advance!

One driver once. Like if you had 3 of the same printer it would just be one driver. One cgminer, it will work it out.

mewon

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:21:16 AM

Does anyone use openwrt router to run R-Box?
Omarko

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:48:06 AM

one more quick question, would a simple powered USB 4 port hub like this work ok ?

http://www.logitechshop.com.au/logitech-premium-4-port-usb-hub.html

thanks
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 11:04:30 AM

one more quick question, would a simple powered USB 4 port hub like this work ok ?

http://www.logitechshop.com.au/logitech-premium-4-port-usb-hub.html

thanks

Yep. But you might as well get a $5 hub, no need for one this expensive.

Omarko

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:16:18 PM

ok, I had this one spare already.

Also, I have this non powered cheapie :

Would this work ok as well ? Is a powered USB hub required or non powered like the one above is ok too ?

thanks again.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 10:05:19 PM

ok, I had this one spare already.

Also, I have this non powered cheapie :

Would this work ok as well ? Is a powered USB hub required or non powered like the one above is ok too ?

thanks again.

Its just data so non powered is fine unless you're daisy chaining lots.

Omarko

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:20:11 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2014, 02:38:51 AM by Omarko

cool thanks.

does anyone know whether the power cable that comes with the rockminer, is the red wire the inside or the outside connection on the 2.5mm barrel?

Im thinking of making my own molex to 2.5mm cables an was going to get few of these (cut off the 9V battery connector) :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-VOLT-SNAP-ON-BATTERY-CLIP-TO-2-5mm-DC-PLUG-Handy-power-adaptor-Also-CCTV-/371096683787?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item566716050b&_uhb=1

but need to work out which of those two wires do I hook up the yellow / black cables from the PSU molex connection.

I think the inside of the barrel is negative (so thats black from molex connector on PSU) and outside is positive (yellow cable from molex  PSU) but thats just a guess so need someone who has one to confirm that. Also the above cable shows a diagram with that config.

I can jut wait till I get my miners but I wanted to prep everything in advance and have the cables ready.

cheers
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 03:20:47 AM

cool thanks.

does anyone know whether the power cable that comes with the rockminer, is the red wire the inside or the outside connection on the 2.5mm barrel?

Im thinking of making my own molex to 2.5mm cables an was going to get few of these (cut off the 9V battery connector) :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-VOLT-SNAP-ON-BATTERY-CLIP-TO-2-5mm-DC-PLUG-Handy-power-adaptor-Also-CCTV-/371096683787?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item566716050b&_uhb=1

but need to work out which of those two wires do I hook up the yellow / black cables from the PSU molex connection.

I think the inside of the barrel is negative (so thats black from molex connector on PSU) and outside is positive (yellow cable from molex  PSU) but thats just a guess so need someone who has one to confirm that. Also the above cable shows a diagram with that config.

I can jut wait till I get my miners but I wanted to prep everything in advance and have the cables ready.

cheers

In your own projects, polarity is a matter of individual choice. The convention should be positive for the pin (TIP), and negative for the outer barrel (RING). This practice is nearly universal except for some odd-ball gadgets.

antonio8
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:35:48 AM

I am using the cgminer 4.3.3 (can't get bfgminer to work for nothing).

Pool mining works fine but when I try to solo mine any coin I get the "waiting for pool" then it just goes to a solid black box and nothing.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

If you are going to leave your BTC on an exchange please send it to this address instead 1GH3ub3UUHbU5qDJW5u3E9jZ96ZEmzaXtG, I will at least use the money better than someone who steals it from the exchange. Thanks Wink
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 06:21:24 PM

Pool mining works fine but when I try to solo mine any coin I get the "waiting for pool" then it just goes to a solid black box and nothing.

No idea about solo mining, still no reason not to use a pool.

Tbonekilla

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:31:00 PM

Thank for the guide Dogie. Allowed me to get familiar with the R-Box before even having it in my hand.

Plug and play with CGMiner 4.4.1 on rpi. Just added --rock-freq 290 and let it rip. This instance is also running 5 Antminer U2's @ 285Mhz.

my command line looks like this: sudo ./cgminer --rock-freq 290 --anu-freq 285 -o pool url -u username -p password

As a side note this rpi is also running an instance of Dmaxl's CGMiner 4.3.5 fork with 5 GAWminer Fury's using tmux to keep both instances alive and headless.

Omarko

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:13:51 PM

I was reading the guide how to setup Rockminer R-Box on the site where I ordered mine from and noticed they are recommending this :

cgminer.exe --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --rmu-freq 290

Questions :

1. what is the icarus options for ?

2. I thought with the cgminer app, setting the frequency on the Rbox is achieved with --rock-freq 290 and not with --rmu-freq 290

cheers
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 11:33:16 PM

Solo mining with cgminer requires you to set the bitcoind explicitly as a pool with http:// prefix and you also need to add a --btc-address or it won't work. That's assuming you're using a recent official cgminer (no reason to use an older one).

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
antonio8
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:00:51 AM

Solo mining with cgminer requires you to set the bitcoind explicitly as a pool with http:// prefix and you also need to add a --btc-address or it won't work. That's assuming you're using a recent official cgminer (no reason to use an older one).

Thanks.

znew to asic miners. Does that mean I can only solo BTC and not any other sha256 coin? Or do I add --"sha256 coin address" for other coins to solo?

If you are going to leave your BTC on an exchange please send it to this address instead 1GH3ub3UUHbU5qDJW5u3E9jZ96ZEmzaXtG, I will at least use the money better than someone who steals it from the exchange. Thanks Wink
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 10:52:28 PM

Thanks for the in-depth guise! I'll be receiving a R-Box in the next week or so, so I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on this thread. Also, I assume it wouldn't affect anything by having a non-12V power supply, correct? I'm quite confident it would work perfectly fine but figured I'd double check with you guys. I'd be using a 19V 65W laptop power brick to power the unit.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: