Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:44:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bashar Assad wins Syria presidential election with 88.7% of vote  (Read 1436 times)
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:45:41 PM

Still not as bad as General Sisi winning the Egyptian elections with 96.9% of the vote.
It's more frustrating in Egypt in light of all the struggles for democracy.
They didn't even bother to muddle the numbers like Assad did. It's a clear indication of Egypt's return to dictatorship

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:05:14 PM

NATO already told it won't recognize the results.

Because this is what Syrians want:

Female Vice-President of Syria Najah al-Attar, Ph.D., University of Edinburgh

...and this is what NATO and Al Qaeda rebels want for Syria...

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:20:21 PM

NATO already told it won't recognize the results.

Because this is what Syrians want:

Female Vice-President of Syria Najah al-Attar, Ph.D., University of Edinburgh

...and this is what NATO and Al Qaeda rebels want for Syria...

Does anyone have any positive stories about the Syrian rebels? I've heard only negative things and I'm wondering why there is so much support among regular individual western people. I know the governments are supporting them, but that doesn't explain why people have come to the same conclusion.

Where are they getting their positive information from? Is the western media doing stories putting Syrian rebels in a good light? Or is it just because people don't like the current Syrian government and they assume any alternative is better?
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:28:14 PM

The Syrian elections have the same problem as any elections organized in the middle of a civil war:

It's not a civil war.

It's the U.S. and Britain funding Al Qaeda terrorists to attack a country they want to run a gas pipeline through.

Grow up.

It's funny how these things work out when something happens to be in their best interest, no?

Indeed, it is not a civil war, but a foreign invasion. Iran, Kurdistan, Saudia Arabia are amongst the nations involved. Have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Front_%28Syria%29  

Is the western media doing stories putting Syrian rebels in a good light?

Yes, they are. They were "rebel fighters" at first, but since Putin showed these 'rebel fighters' were eating organs of humans these terms didnt really work out anymore. (the video of this is on liveleak).  I am not saying one side is better than the other, just that western media is manipulated.

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:37:30 PM

It is pretty clear that this is not an organic revolution by the Syrian people. The media won't tell us that the US and much of the west are giving guns to these people. Many of whom are Al Qaeda affiliates.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:50:19 PM

Still not as bad as General Sisi winning the Egyptian elections with 96.9% of the vote.

I would still prefer the secular military dictator (Abdel Fattah el-Sisi) anytime over the democratically elected fanatic Mohamed Morsi. At least the minorities (especially the Copts) will be able to live without any fear.
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:22:25 PM

The Egyptian elections were an even more ridiculous exercise than the Syrian one. The Egyptians don't have this great excuse that is civil war to justify all the abuses of freedom of the press and political freedom.

I dislike as much (at least part of) the opposition as I dislike the Syrian government. Another republic converted in de facto monarchy, with the power going from the father to the son. I'm expecting a long dynasty, like in North Korea.

But both sides are being helped from abroad. This is just a continuation of the war between Shiite and Sunni movements that we also see in Iraq, supported by Iran on one side, and by Saudi Arabia and Qatar in the other.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:29:11 PM

But both sides are being helped from abroad. This is just a continuation of the war between Shiite and Sunni movements that we also see in Iraq, supported by Iran on one side, and by Saudi Arabia and Qatar in the other.

The position of Iraq will be interesting... they are a Shiite majority country (around 60% as per some reliable sources), but still they are supporting the Syrian opposition. Also, it should be remembered that the Ba'ath party represents the Shiites in Syria (including Assad), while it was mostly dominated by the Sunnis in Iraq (including Saddam).
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:36:35 PM

Hey the US is not the best actor here, I do see the hypocracy with what is happening in Ukraine.  But let's be real, Assad is not a good person, and it was certainly a sham election. 
Charlie Prime

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:41:25 PM

This is just a continuation of the war between Shiite and Sunni movements that we also see in Iraq, supported by Iran on one side, and by Saudi Arabia and Qatar in the other.

You can't see the forest because of the trees.  Turn off Fox News and go read history.

Start here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Geographical_Pivot_of_History

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:44:12 PM

I would still prefer the secular military dictator (Abdel Fattah el-Sisi) anytime over the democratically elected fanatic Mohamed Morsi. At least the minorities (especially the Copts) will be able to live without any fear.

Hmm, I don't think it's as easy as that. You say Sisi is secular but that only means he doesn't care if it's a Muslim or a Christian he's oppressing . Sad (and frequent) as it is, foreign media played a huge hand in demonizing Morsi.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:44:54 PM

It's more frustrating in Egypt in light of all the struggles for democracy.
They didn't even bother to muddle the numbers like Assad did. It's a clear indication of Egypt's return to dictatorship

it's funny cuz when they overthrew mubarak and morsi, there was a fervor of excitement that change could happen.. but in reality, their efforts so far have been futile. seems like sisi's regime may indeed be worse than the muslim brotherhood reign, or mubarak.
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:05:50 PM

I surely don't like the mix of religion and political power, hence I disliked very much Morsi, but we can not defend democracy and then crack on the results, unless the elected start violating basic rules.

I don't think that Morsi did enough to deserve a military coup.

Now, Egypt just returned to a new Mubarak, non religious, but dictator, that even promote him self in cookies.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
beetcoin

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:21:24 PM

I surely don't like the mix of religion and political power, hence I disliked very much Morsi, but we can not defend democracy and then crack on the results, unless the elected start violating basic rules.

I don't think that Morsi did enough to deserve a military coup.

Now, Egypt just returned to a new Mubarak, non religious, but dictator, that even promote him self in cookies.

i'm not the most knowledgeable in the subject, but i remember morsi trying to ratify the constitution to give him almost unlimited power. he was abusing his power, and oustering him was justified.. the problem is that his replacement is even worse.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:51:07 PM

i'm not the most knowledgeable in the subject, but i remember morsi trying to ratify the constitution to give him almost unlimited power. he was abusing his power, and oustering him was justified.. the problem is that his replacement is even worse.

Yes... removing Morsi was much needed. He was about to implement some of his disastrous social policies, such as banning birth control and taking over minority institutions. It is too early to say that Abdel Fattah el-Sisi is worse than Morsi. Let's wait and watch.
beetcoin

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:53:30 PM

Yes... removing Morsi was much needed. He was about to implement some of his disastrous social policies, such as banning birth control and taking over minority institutions. It is too early to say that Abdel Fattah el-Sisi is worse than Morsi. Let's wait and watch.

there is already less free speech under his rule, and more political prisoners. egypt's version of jon stewart, whatever his name is, has had to step down because it seems like he fears the current regime more than he did the last.

i'm willing to bet that he is more of a despot than mubarak or morsi.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:00:57 PM

there is already less free speech under his rule, and more political prisoners.

As long as the prisoners are from the Islamic Brotherhood, I am not complaining. The brotherhood guys were extremely violent during their protests in Cairo and other cities. They should be suppressed like this only.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: