Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:59:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-06-04] NASDAQ: Bitcoin ETF Inching Closer To Reality  (Read 1268 times)
Bitcopia (OP)

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:56:38 AM

"Last month, the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust filed its latest update that stated the ETF would trade on the NASDAQ exchange with a ticker symbol that has yet to be determined."

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/bitcoin-etf-inching-closer-to-reality-cm358963#ixzz33iWPO4jO

This is expected to launch before the end of the year. Hold on to your hats.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:02:21 AM

This ETF has been inching closer and closer every month for more than a year. I have a feeling that it'll take a few more years before it finally becomes a reality.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:08:17 AM

This part is good 'news':
"While many experts are skeptical about the liquidity and transactional aspects of a bitcoin ETF, a successful roll-out of this concept may ultimately provide another level of confidence for investors that are drawn to this theme.

It may also pave the way for new digital currencies to be accepted into the mainstream."

I am not certain it will be delayed much longer, with Bitcoin gaining so much momentum. Some people in the establishment clearly want BTC to succeed. (For example) Did you see the Bitcoin logo on the front of USA Today ~ a month ago. It was the USA Today logo with a big Bitcoin inside. That is one example of "strong support" from elements of the establishment.
Almost a bit scary if you think about it...

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:23:38 AM

This ETF has been inching closer and closer every month for more than a year. I have a feeling that it'll take a few more years before it finally becomes a reality.

lol.. listing a new ETF in the NASDAQ is no small jobs. Tons of paperwork needs to be completed, and a lot of legal formalities are there. It sometimes take more than 12 months for a normal equity-based ETF to list itself in NASDAQ.  Grin
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:30:32 AM

...(For example) Did you see the Bitcoin logo on the front of USA Today ~ a month ago. It was the USA Today logo with a big Bitcoin inside. That is one example of "strong support" from elements of the establishment.

I never saw that! It was in celebration of the FEC decision to allow campaign donations in BTC.

Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:34:28 AM

lol.. listing a new ETF in the NASDAQ is no small jobs. Tons of paperwork needs to be completed, and a lot of legal formalities are there. It sometimes take more than 12 months for a normal equity-based ETF to list itself in NASDAQ.  Grin

"Winklevoss chief legal counsel Kathleen H. Moriarty told CoinDesk that the ETF should be approved by the end of the year."
http://www.coindesk.com/secondmarket-will-open-private-bitcoin-fund-investors/

It's been 11 months. If it "sometimes takes more than 12 months for a normal equity-based ETF to list itself in NASDAQ," than this shouldn't be too far off now should it?  Wink
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:58:26 AM

...(For example) Did you see the Bitcoin logo on the front of USA Today ~ a month ago. It was the USA Today logo with a big Bitcoin inside. That is one example of "strong support" from elements of the establishment.

I never saw that! It was in celebration of the FEC decision to allow campaign donations in BTC.

I saw it on a news rack and had to look twice, since it was so unexpected.
Seeing Bitcoin go mainstream is exciting; Having the elite media "promoting" Bitcoin feels odd, but why ask too many questions when the party is so much fun?  Cheesy

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:09:26 AM

"Winklevoss chief legal counsel Kathleen H. Moriarty told CoinDesk that the ETF should be approved by the end of the year."

It's been 11 months. If it "sometimes takes more than 12 months for a normal equity-based ETF to list itself in NASDAQ," than this shouldn't be too far off now should it?  Wink

Normally it takes anywhere from 6 to 18 months. So the Winkelwii Bitcoin ETF is definitely not far off. We should also take in to account the additonal complexities associated with dealing with the Bitcoins.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:12:44 AM

I saw it on a news rack and had to look twice, since it was so unexpected.
Seeing Bitcoin go mainstream is exciting; Having the elite media "promoting" Bitcoin feels odd, but why ask too many questions when the party is so much fun?  Cheesy

I never could have imagined years ago that we would be seeing the bitcoin logo on the front page of USA Today like that. It's amazing, really.
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:15:40 AM

It's been 11 months. If it "sometimes takes more than 12 months for a normal equity-based ETF to list itself in NASDAQ," than this shouldn't be too far off now should it?  Wink

Normally it takes anywhere from 6 to 18 months. So the Winkelwii Bitcoin ETF is definitely not far off. We should also take in to account the additonal complexities associated with dealing with the Bitcoins.

True. I would like to see this thing launch either right before the next big rally (which is unlikely) or right after the capitulation from that rally (likely). Just think if this thing launches right near the tail end of a mega rally pumping prices upwards of 10k only to crash shortly after. It could be catastrophic to a large number of people's finances and public perception of bitcoin, and I assume that the Winklevii and the SEC would take action to avoid such.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:06:19 AM

I am cautiously optimistic about this. It will add to the speculative nature of course but it could also get a lot of wealthy people to take a longer look at bit coin. Once they realize it protects them from inflationary fiat it is a no brainer to get involved.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 08:53:52 AM

True. I would like to see this thing launch either right before the next big rally (which is unlikely) or right after the capitulation from that rally (likely). Just think if this thing launches right near the tail end of a mega rally pumping prices upwards of 10k only to crash shortly after. It could be catastrophic to a large number of people's finances and public perception of bitcoin, and I assume that the Winklevii and the SEC would take action to avoid such.

Unfortunately, not much can be done to prevent any such thing from occurring. Let's just hope that the correction will be a bit milder, and in the long term the investors will be in the green.  Grin
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 09:24:38 AM

Unfortunately, not much can be done to prevent any such thing from occurring. Let's just hope that the correction will be a bit milder, and in the long term the investors will be in the green.  Grin

How would a large number of people's finances be affected if the price of a bitcoin goes up?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the "crashes" have not been to below where the price was before the rally... 

To my knowledge, no one has sold any bitcoins for less than $50 for over a year now...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 10:21:48 AM

How would a large number of people's finances be affected if the price of a bitcoin goes up?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the "crashes" have not been to below where the price was before the rally... 

To my knowledge, no one has sold any bitcoins for less than $50 for over a year now...

The crashes seem to be more like corrections. On average bitcoin has definitely gained a lot. People just get carried away and buy at the same time and then freak out and sell most of what they bought off altogether at once.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 11:01:33 AM

yep, in my view they are fast.

nice to see that news on nasdaq.com  Smiley

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:18:04 PM

There will always be losers and gainers for every market move. For my part, I know a few people who bought Bitcoins at $1,100 per coin. Some of them offloaded their stash at $400 per coin. Some others are still holding.  Grin
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:43:56 PM

I know a few people who bought Bitcoins at $1,100 per coin. Some of them offloaded their stash at $400 per coin. Some others are still holding.  Grin

They must be crying every day they check the price charts now. And it doesn't look like it's going to be slowing down.

Maybe they'll buy in at $1100 again?

Or maybe they'll wait until this bitcoin ETF gets listed on NASDAQ. By then it might be over $2000 Tongue
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:03:36 PM

There is no way Bitcoin can be stoped.
When I came across this I was sure of that Smiley
even if country's force the its local banks.
There will always be jurisdictions that will fill the gap.

Being a bank is owning A license!
Welcome in the offshore world with it's latest products.
By being a offshore bank good chance btc-e does it like this , you are simply  exempt of any AML , KYC and tax laws!

http://www.aspenassurance.com/offshore-banking-licenses
Our Private Banking License can be achieved in a Quality Caribbean Jurisdiction for as low as $325,000 USD or BITCOIN equivalent which provides all the advantages of Bank ownership  

http://www.offshoreinfo.com/offshore_banks_details.htm

Some things you can do with your own offshore bank:

Set up your own banking instruments (e.g. bonds, securities &c).
    These can be used in a variety of ways not to be covered in depth here due to space limitations. You may issue letters of credit for yourself, certificates of deposit, provided funds are indeed there (don't do it otherwise, as this would qualify for fraud in most jurisdictions!), letters of recommendation, etc.

Boost your corporate image by retaining your very own bank.
    This can facilitate business no end: whether you are involved in import-export trade, in industrial manufacturing, in upmarket financial services, or simply want to impress your business associates and gain a cutting edge against your competitors – an offshore bank is probably the most powerful business tool money can buy.

Grant yourself constructive credit ratings.
    Fed up with hopping around, currying favor with loan sharks and paying exorbitant sums to “credit repair” agencies that can't really do a thing for you anyway, except sing sweet, harmless odes to deaf ears? Why not do it the banks' way instead? With your own offshore bank, it's a totally new world to explore – grant yourself the credit rating you deserve and make good use of it in your other financial operations.

Grant your own loans and mortgages.
    A nice way of legally funneling profits offshore and minimizing on taxes! Once you sign up, we will show you a unique insider strategy how to reduce your taxload and even say goodbye to taxes forever.

Seize your own assets before your creditors do.
    Don't twiddle thumbs while the vultures are blithely hacking away at your life's work: with our insider strategy, you will be able to employ your bank to lay its hands (i.e. yours!) on your assets before anyone else does. Buy out your own debt for a song, stage your own “friendly self-takeover” and make exorbitant profits – absolutely legally, too, provided you know the proper way to do

So now you know once and for all that al theese AML and KYC laws are only for the little men.
and that this can and will never change unless we start using a decentralized system as Bitcoin.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
Bitcopia (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:12:23 PM

I'm certain the fund managers will understand the timing of this market and can make an effort to not launch when prices is doubling every 14 days or so. They should not launch in a place that allows investors to panic buy.

So, I wasn't very clear, but the point is to not launch while a mega- rally is peaking. That would mean all of these eager new investors buy in at the highest prices. And yes, if they continue to hold onto to their ETF, they will be fine. But it's bad publicity for an ETF to lose 50% or more of its value in the first months, regardless if it is likely to regain that value and then gain another 1000% in the coming year.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 04:18:07 PM

and after the rally the price "crashes to 2143,- USD"  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: