Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:17:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could London become the capital of cryptocurrencies?  (Read 1763 times)
CryptoCurrencyInc.com (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:28:45 AM

Could London become the capital of cryptocurrencies?
http://www.cityam.com/blog/1401882571/bitcoin-britain-could-london-become-capital-cryptocurrencies

╓▄▌██P                   
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                     
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                       
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                       
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                         
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                           
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                             
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                               
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                 
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:31:26 AM

If they do it right they will be the economic capital of the new world economy. I hope they tread lightly with the regulations.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:48:59 AM

It's good to see some positive talk from them regarding setting up a welcoming environment for innovative bitcoin companies. But I'm always skeptical that things like this will work out as well as some people intend them too. There's definitely going to be some resistance. And since like it says in the article "FCA has not yet made its official position on cryptocurrency clear" we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:11:06 PM

Tax rates are too high in London, and the rules regarding Bitcoin are too vague. Also, Bitcoin-based firms in London will have to obey the EU rules on money laundering and currency exchange. So... overall not much of a chance.  Angry
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:18:19 PM

Tax rates are too high in London, and the rules regarding Bitcoin are too vague. Also, Bitcoin-based firms in London will have to obey the EU rules on money laundering and currency exchange. So... overall not much of a chance.  Angry

Still though positive opinions by a government body is good for bit coin's legitimacy.

ElGrandJefe

Activity: 459

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:19:45 PM

Nope. A true cryptocurrency should never have a capital.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:27:17 PM

Bitcoin and cryptos don't need capitals, they are built to be free, like a bird in the sky, like a cow on the hills, like women in the kitchens.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:28:38 PM

Tax rates are HUGE in london and they will never be the 'capital' of Bitcoin or any other coins.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:53:25 PM

Nope. A true cryptocurrency should never have a capital.
Bitcoin and cryptos don't need capitals, they are built to be free, like a bird in the sky, like a cow on the hills, like women in the kitchens.

Why not? What's wrong with a city embracing bitcoin and having enough merchants and services to be considered the (unofficial of course) capital of bitcoin? I would love a place like that. Some where you can go and know that you can support your self just on bitcoin.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 08:08:36 PM

i guess most people here undervalue the impact of such news. in my view that bigger than "xy accepts bitcoin". the regulation is the key.

The UK Digital Currency Association hailed the new guidelines as "some of the most sophisticated and forward-thinking issued by tax authorities anywhere in the world."

The move gave further legitimacy to digital currencies and it was even suggested it could lead to a "gold rush of digital currency businesses to the UK".

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 09:02:22 PM

i guess most people here undervalue the impact of such news. in my view that bigger than "xy accepts bitcoin". the regulation is the key.

The UK Digital Currency Association hailed the new guidelines as "some of the most sophisticated and forward-thinking issued by tax authorities anywhere in the world."

The move gave further legitimacy to digital currencies and it was even suggested it could lead to a "gold rush of digital currency businesses to the UK".

Yes. It is the nature of governments to regulate so the idea of them leaving it alone is a pipe dream. I just hope they tread lightly and intelligently with the regulations they do come up with.

ChuckStrawberry

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 08:46:17 AM

Yes, but I see the Swiss city Zug in the pole position.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 04:30:09 PM

isn't the UK not so friendly to bitcoin? i'd think maybe a country like germany, or a scandanavian country might be more open to it.
NotAtOld

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 06:42:30 PM

Hopefully it will be The Netherlands
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:50:29 PM

Hopefully it will be The Netherlands

yeah, so we can blow all of our bitcoins by legally banging whores and doing drugs.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:04:43 PM

Free like women in the kitchens? lol

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:24:18 PM

Extremely wishful thinking - London doesn't even make the top 10 on some Bitcoin lists.

Vancouver, which surprisingly has been absent in the discussion so far, is often regarded as the #1 Bitcoin city in the world.  It has the largest per capita use of Bitcoin for a large city.   It's a metropolitan of 2.4 million people and it has six Bitcoin ATMs (including the first in North America and possibly the world) and 80 merchants, the only cities with more merchants is due to having immensely larger populations than Vancouver (Greater LA which is 16.5 million and greater New York 23.5 million) but we're talking about only a couple more merchants and less ATM coverage (so arguably worse).

The capital of earth in the Mass Effect series is Vancouver.   Wink  Grin

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:24:50 PM

Not a chance.

The highest per capita use of Bitcoin, for a large city, is perhaps Vancouver.  Maybe Mass Effect was on to something where the capital of earth was Vancouver.   Grin  

The only downside is Canadian banks hate Bitcoin (they freeze anything dealing with the exchanges) and the next possible Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau (who'll be a spitting image of his Marxist Father), will probably be hostile to it.

They have six Bitcoin ATMs (IIRC - first bitcoin atm on the planet) and close to 80 merchants who accept Bitcoin.  Some cities do have slightly more merchants than Vancouver but they also grossly outnumber Vancouver in population.  Vancouver is only 2.4 million people versus 8.4 million San Francisco Bay area versus 16.4 million greater Los Angeles.

Sure but in London you can buy bangers and mash with Bitcoin.

The UK deals with everything the same way the US does. Accept it, absorb it and regulate it to death. Maybe that's a colonial empire trick? Resistance is futile Bitcoin will be assimilated.

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:29:40 PM

Not a chance.

The highest per capita use of Bitcoin, for a large city, is perhaps Vancouver.  Maybe Mass Effect was on to something where the capital of earth was Vancouver.   Grin  

The only downside is Canadian banks hate Bitcoin (they freeze anything dealing with the exchanges) and the next possible Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau (who'll be a spitting image of his Marxist Father), will probably be hostile to it.

They have six Bitcoin ATMs (IIRC - first bitcoin atm on the planet) and close to 80 merchants who accept Bitcoin.  Some cities do have slightly more merchants than Vancouver but they also grossly outnumber Vancouver in population.  Vancouver is only 2.4 million people versus 8.4 million San Francisco Bay area versus 16.4 million greater Los Angeles.

Sure but in London you can buy bangers and mash with Bitcoin.

The UK deals with everything the same way the US does. Accept it, absorb it and regulate it to death. Maybe that's a colonial empire trick? Resistance is futile Bitcoin will be assimilated.

I would think Singapore would be a better contender for a Bitcoin capital than Vancouver.  Vancouver may have the highest per capita use but the law is still ambiguous and the next government could be openly hostile to it.

Which only seems ironic to me.  If Bitcoin is capital, most of that capital is technically Chinese / American / European and having it flow into Canada would be beneficial for the Canadian country (job creation and, even if it's not directly taxed, would increase the tax coffers), but I wouldn't put it past a moronic politician to ruin a good thing.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:30:16 PM

It is far easier to operate a Bitcoin business from Cyprus & Mauritius than from London. The atmosphere is far more friendly in these 2 countries.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: