Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:22:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New icon/logo  (Read 38558 times)
ArrowJ

Activity: 21
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2010, 08:20:51 PM

...The project is open source so if you can come up with something better people will adopt it...

I don't personally have the skills, but again, I think http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631.0 is a great choice.

"What exactly is your issue with the "official" logo?"

The most recent version isn't as bad as the original, but it is still not a crisp as could be desired, it doesn't scale well, has too many color shades, just has an overall "generic" look to it.

Stop complaining. The current logo is just good enough.
It has all the properties a good logo should have.

I'm not actually complaining...just voicing an alternative opinion related to the quality of the current logo that represents the bitcoin project to most of the outside world. I feel it has few of the aesthetic properties a good logo should have.

I don't see why this can't be discussed without being offensive (I'm trying not to attack anyone personally). I'm not saying anything about the qualities of the designer as a human being...he did after all come up with the cool idea of Bitcoin in the first place, but this does not mean his artwork should be the de facto face of the project IF the goal is to increase it's popularity. It seems to me that the better face we can put on the project the better. Is it bad to strive for fantastic?

After some consideration, i think that the logo could be easily polished a little by adding some more 3D-effect to the coin borders, so it would actually look like a real coin. But the rest is 100% OK.

I personally think less 3D is in order. It's ok for it to be "abstract" in that it doesn't look exactly like a coin...I would posit that it would be better if it doesn't try to look like a real coin...after all, we aren't dealing in real coins...we are dealing in BITcoins Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 08:40:50 PM

I don't see why this can't be discussed without being offensive (I'm trying not to attack anyone personally). I'm not saying anything about the qualities of the designer as a human being...

Oh sorry, was i offensive again ? That's weird, i didn't feel it at all.

You're right, actually the logo from my signature (designed by bitboy and improved by myself) may be better than the official one.
However i don't know if Satoshi will like the license (cc by-sa).

IMHO perhaps Satoshi should either ask the author or pay the author some BTC to release the works into public domain.

ArrowJ

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2010, 08:51:30 PM

You're right, actually the logo from my signature (designed by bitboy and improved by myself) may be better than the official one.

IMHO perhaps Satoshi should either ask the author or pay the author some BTC to release the works into public domain.

I'll be honest with you, I thought I had offended with the suggestion.

I hadn't thought of the license issue, but of course your right, whatever logo is used it should probably be public domain. IF the community decided to adopt Bitboy's logo I'd contribute 5 btc to "buy out" his license and turn it over to the public domain.

Can this sort of thing be settled with a vote or does it not work that way? I mean we can say it's open source and whatever people use will win, but you have to admit Satoshi's logo has a little bit of an advantage...nobody wants to offend the originator of the awesome idea...I don't want to anyhow...hope I haven't!
Anonymous

November 02, 2010, 11:08:16 PM

I'll be honest with you, I thought I had offended with the suggestion.

I hadn't thought of the license issue, but of course your right, whatever logo is used it should probably be public domain. IF the community decided to adopt Bitboy's logo I'd contribute 5 btc to "buy out" his license and turn it over to the public domain.

Can this sort of thing be settled with a vote or does it not work that way? I mean we can say it's open source and whatever people use will win, but you have to admit Satoshi's logo has a little bit of an advantage...nobody wants to offend the originator of the awesome idea...I don't want to anyhow...hope I haven't!

The licence should  be the same as the original logo imo because we know for sure that is the one satoshi supports.
ArrowJ

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2010, 11:58:43 PM

Is that a requirement for an open source project though?
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 11:27:01 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

No, just for this open source project, i.e. Satoshi's Bitcoin client.
Anonymous

November 03, 2010, 11:35:37 AM

No its not...but you'd be more likely to get satoshi to support something we know he approves of!
ArrowJ

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2010, 02:24:53 PM

Understood. I had a friend explain some of the ideology a little more clearly to me. Bottom line, I hope we can end up with a top notch professional logo for this project.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2010, 04:31:22 PM

I personally think less 3D is in order. It's ok for it to be "abstract" in that it doesn't look exactly like a coin...I would posit that it would be better if it doesn't try to look like a real coin...after all, we aren't dealing in real coins...we are dealing in BITcoins Wink

Haha, I agree. Maybe it should be a holo-coin.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 05:18:47 PM

I like icons that Satoshi published in the first post.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
satoshi (OP)
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
November 13, 2010, 12:55:51 AM
Last edit: November 13, 2010, 01:06:26 AM by satoshi
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I'm happy if someone with artistic skill wants to contribute alternatives.  The icon/logo was meant to be good as an icon at the 16x16 and 20x20 pixel sizes.  I think it's the best program icon, but there's room for improvement at larger sizes for a graphic for use on websites.

It'll be a lot simpler if authors could make their graphics public domain.
bitboy

Activity: 55
Merit: 51

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2010, 06:52:33 PM

I'm happy if someone with artistic skill wants to contribute alternatives.  The icon/logo was meant to be good as an icon at the 16x16 and 20x20 pixel sizes.  I think it's the best program icon, but there's room for improvement at larger sizes for a graphic for use on websites.

It'll be a lot simpler if authors could make their graphics public domain.

Thanks for clearing up the issue on public domain . Now I can release the graphics I have done into public domain.

I did not receive any private messages or instruction from anyone before, and when I first created those graphics, not even from SN.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 07:03:40 PM

Somewhere I thought I had seen another thread that included ALL the new artwork / logos / icons / etc...   But I can't find it now.   Anyone know where it is?
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 07:55:52 PM

I like icons that Satoshi published in the first post.
Me too.
I'd like a svg version though so I can scale them Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
tcatm

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 08:37:01 PM

I made one a while ago, you can find it in this post: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64.msg7415#msg7415
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 19, 2010, 08:40:14 PM

I made one a while ago, you can find it in this post: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64.msg7415#msg7415
Cool! oops I seem to have read over your post   Huh

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pander

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 08:07:17 AM

I'm new to Bitcoin but am very impressed already. Keep up the good work.

The new logo looks good and I'm happy to see an SVG version is available. I have a few questions on this by the way in order to save some trouble later on. Some other open source projects are struggling with ugly/old/incorrect logos that are circulating the web. It is very hard to get rid of them. See for example:
  https://wordpress.org/about/logos/
  https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/press/media/logos/#firefox-common-mistakes

As said earlier, SVG is important for scalability. Suppose the TIME, WIRED or whatever magazine or newspaper would like to do an article on Bitcoin, they would look for the SVG file and reuse it a lot. It would be unfortunate if an incorrect version of the logo got used.

Therefore I would like to request the following issues to be solved:

1) What is going to be the one and only source file for the logo? Is it going to be bitcoin.svg.zip? Is it 100% compatible with the original PNG?

2) Can the SVG be included in the source file repository?

3) Can someone replace the bitcoin.png with the (correct) bitcoin.svg on Wikipedia? At the moment 8 different articles are using this image, these need to be altered too. Wikipedia will automatically convert .SVG to .PNG when needed.

4) With e.g. Inkscape one can generate all the bitmaps via command line:
  inkscape bitcoin.svg  -h 16 -w 16 -e bitcoin-16.png
  inkscape bitcoin.svg  -h 20 -w 20 -e bitcoin-20.png
  inkscape bitcoin.svg  -h 32 -w 32 -e bitcoin-32.png
  inkscape bitcoin.svg  -h 48 -w 48 -e bitcoin-48.png
However, this should not be part of the make process but a shell script generate-logos.sh or something could be added to update the PNGs. That would mean the source code repository would hold SVG, PNGs and that script.

5) The whitespace in bitcoin.svg.zip has to be altered by the way. The original PNG is 530x526, so I would suggest to use 530x530 in the SVG to have as minimal as possible whitespace. Equally divide remaining whitespace in 2 pixels at the top and 2 pixels at the bottom.

6) As Bitcoin is gaining momentum, it should be extremely easy for people and media to find information on logo and artwork. They should not have to dive in the FAQ or forum (they will probably not and use Google images). Could a page called "Artwork" on logos, buttons and artwork be created on the main website and be listed in the main menu? This page could also provide the SVG logo and other artwork such as listed in http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631 (currently this link is listed under the page "Trade")

I really hope these issues can be addressed in order to have Bitcoin's logo portrait in the media as good as possible.

Regards,

Pander
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: