Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:36:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when Paypal accepts Bitcoin ?  (Read 2434 times)
jambola2 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:47:50 PM

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000281677

Let me quote - "At Paypal we will have to integrate digital currencies into our wallet"
He has also said that he himself owns some bitcoins.

What does this mean in the short term , what will happen when people hear that Paypal  may support Bitcoin in the indeterminate future ?
I think the bare news will cause a rise in the price of a bitcoin , but by how much ?

And what does this mean in the long term , when the day comes that Paypal accepts Bitcoin ? Will this convince more people to join use Bitcoin on its own or will Bitcoin just be another payment method , muddled up inside Paypal ?

This will definitely increase Bitcoin awareness , but will this make Paypal take over Bitcoin business from sites like bitstamp and blockchain.info's wallet or will this make people leave Paypal for Bitcoin ?

And last but not least , will the forum explode as news of this spreads ? There has always been a don't mix Bitcoin and Paypal policy , how easily will people switch to Paypal ?

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 4569

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:12:00 PM

What happens when Paypal accepts Bitcoin ?

People who don't use credit cards will be able to add funds to their Paypal accounts in less than a banking week.

This will lead to increased Ebay purchases and hence increased profits for Ebay and its subsidiary Paypal.

They'd be crazy not to accept Bircoin.
Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

Obviously it will lead to more people selling bitcoin for fiat which will drive the price downwards

won't it?

Wink
Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:15:12 PM

What happens when Paypal accepts Bitcoin ?

People who don't use credit cards will be able to add funds to their Paypal accounts in less than a banking week.

This will lead to increased Ebay purchases and hence increased profits for Ebay and its subsidiary Paypal.

They'd be crazy not to accept Bircoin.

and don't forget fees for using bitcoin on paypal should be cheaper - so both the seller and buyer should be incentivised to use it rather than their credit cards.
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:17:14 PM

i think not

spending btc on pp is somewhat like selling “otc“
it wont affect exchange prices much
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 03:01:16 PM

Obviously it will lead to more people selling bitcoin for fiat which will drive the price downwards
won't it?
 Wink
To some extent a fair call..!
But Hypothetically it will first go above with all the demand that will emerge after paypal accepts btc and new adopters getting in..! and those adopters will use bitcoin as digital currency not as an Investment that is what it is created for and that is why btc has some value. and after that it will lead more people selling btc for fiat but they will avoid selling it below the price they bought it [just my assumption] all in all a fair deal.

btc6000

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:16:45 PM

i think not

You don't think PP accepting BTC will 'affect prices much'

?

We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.
xybersurfer

Activity: 72

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:41:15 PM

Let me quote - "At Paypal we will have to integrate digital currencies into our wallet"

What does this mean in the short term , what will happen when people hear that Paypal  may support Bitcoin in the indeterminate future ?
I think the bare news will cause a rise in the price of a bitcoin , but by how much ?

And what does this mean in the long term , when the day comes that Paypal accepts Bitcoin ? Will this convince more people to join use Bitcoin on its own or will Bitcoin just be another payment method , muddled up inside Paypal ?

This will definitely increase Bitcoin awareness , but will this make Paypal take over Bitcoin business from sites like bitstamp and blockchain.info's wallet or will this make people leave Paypal for Bitcoin ?

And last but not least , will the forum explode as news of this spreads ? There has always been a don't mix Bitcoin and Paypal policy , how easily will people switch to Paypal ?

it might increase the price a bit because it is a form of acceptance, but it's a bit pointless because bitcoin doesn't need paypal.

wasn't that the whole point?

Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:47:21 PM

i think not

You don't think PP accepting BTC will 'affect prices much'

?
i mean using BTC on PP wont drive down price like sellinf on Stamp
rafamadeira

Activity: 79

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:52:40 PM

Insert Coins Here: 1GWz2R7NKVgtYg8yYQ7bbzDZWyRLXoitBN

Thank you Sir!
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:36:43 PM

I think it will have detrimental effect on btc price when and if Paypal starts accepting bitcoins. Paypal, like Western Union, faces an agonizing future where BTC becomes the mainstream payment option. Paypal's only options at this time are:

1. Delay and postpone the inevitable mass adoption of bitcoins
2. Co-opt and integrate bitcoins and become another bitcoin processor

They are doing whatever they can do to prolong Option #1  right now. Option #2 is painful to them because it means the loss of their hugely profitable business model.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:02:41 PM

This is simple standard S-curve exponential growth in adoption. Each wave of merchants that accept bitcoin are progressively larger and larger, from small independent shops, to overstock, to ebay, to amazon, etc.

The effect is more people use Bitcoin and thus more people hold onto some number of bitcoins, and thus demand increases and price with it. I disagree with those who say the price will go down because now people can spend their coins, it's easy to spend your coins today.

If ebay/paypal adopt bitcoin, then I'll conduct all of my buying and selling there in bitcoin and keep x number more coins in an ebay/paypal wallet for such a purpose. This increases holdings.
indiemax

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:52:39 PM

This is simple standard S-curve exponential growth in adoption. Each wave of merchants that accept bitcoin are progressively larger and larger, from small independent shops, to overstock, to ebay, to amazon, etc.

The effect is more people use Bitcoin and thus more people hold onto some number of bitcoins, and thus demand increases and price with it. I disagree with those who say the price will go down because now people can spend their coins, it's easy to spend your coins today.

If ebay/paypal adopt bitcoin, then I'll conduct all of my buying and selling there in bitcoin and keep x number more coins in an ebay/paypal wallet for such a purpose. This increases holdings.

I'd be happy to keep coins in a paypal wallet,much more than on an exchange
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 02:38:53 AM

I think it will have a positive effect on the price of BTC, simply because more people will adopt bitcoin if PayPal starts supporting it. Although in the long term, BTC may overtake PayPal if people start realizing that you can't get a wallet suspended the same way PayPal suspends and limits people's accounts all the time. So the news is good for BTC, but potentially very bad for PayPal.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 02:43:13 AM

What does this mean in the short term , what will happen when people hear that Paypal  may support Bitcoin in the indeterminate future ?

The more people and business start to accept bitcoin the better it will be and I think it will cause a bit price rise if not much and it will also effect ebay in a good way, as it will easy for more people to use bitcoins to purchase stuff off of ebay. I am actually looking forward to this.

master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 03:03:51 AM

The more people and business start to accept bitcoin the better it will be and I think it will cause a bit price rise if not much and it will also effect ebay in a good way, as it will easy for more people to use bitcoins to purchase stuff off of ebay. I am actually looking forward to this.

I don't think they would implement BTC in a way where you could pay for an item on eBay with BTC. They'll probably have a system where you can add funds to your PayPal account using BTC, and it converts it to your local currency. Either way this news will definitely have a positive effect on the price.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 03:18:29 AM

I don't think they would implement BTC in a way where you could pay for an item on eBay with BTC. They'll probably have a system where you can add funds to your PayPal account using BTC, and it converts it to your local currency. Either way this news will definitely have a positive effect on the price.

I see, I thought once you're able to fund your paypal account using BTC, it can be used anywhere and at any business which accepts paypal.

Fippy

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:49:21 AM

I think it will have detrimental effect on btc price when and if Paypal starts accepting bitcoins. Paypal, like Western Union, faces an agonizing future where BTC becomes the mainstream payment option. Paypal's only options at this time are:

They are doing whatever they can do to prolong Option #1  right now. Option #2 is painful to them because it means the loss of their hugely profitable business model.

I think there is much truth to this. Even though Bitcoin has the long term capability to largely render a massive amount of PayPal's business obsolete, they are a trusted household name and by integrating Bitcoin ahead of the crowd stand a very good chance of gaining a large market share. Adapt or die, and they are opting for adapt. In a speculative 'down the road' hypothetical situation, where mass adoption of Bitcoin has become a reality, I suspect it will look much the same as the history of credit cards.

With credit cards, each store had their own at first, mostly large department stores. This is the equivalent of the individual businesses accepting Bitcoin. Then came the "Diner's Club" cards, which could be viewed as the equivalent of PayPal becoming involved, wider range of use, but still somewhat limited. The next step then would be sometime later major financial institutions getting on the Bitcoin wagon, essentially paralleling the birth of Bank Americard...or what we now know today as Visa. And the rest, as they say, is history.

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™
┨PRE-SALE  : 25th MAY - 25th JUNE ▌MAIN-SALE: 26th JUNE - 03rd JULY┠
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Telegram Medium Reddit
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:55:31 AM

Paypal as we know it will die when that happens.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:01:01 AM

You're wrong.  PP essentially becomes the trusted 3rd party escrow service although it doesn't use those scary terms.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: