Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:12:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM Investor's Handout and Updates(NEM closed Alpha has begun)  (Read 9887 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
xtester (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:30:49 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2014, 01:42:07 PM by xtester

I will also cross-post this here since I think it might be interesting and instructive for all Nemsters and investors.

NEM's Great Equality Experiment And The Marshmallow Test

What Equality Means?

The other day I found myself reflecting on NEM, what it is and what we all want to make of it. It seems there is a great discussion going on in the world regarding inequality and so NEM equality experiment comes at the precisely right point in time. As usual I think people focus on the wrong things. We should strive to give people equal opportunities, but they are not and should not be equal in outcome. In fact, though most of us start as equal now, I have no doubt we will not end as equal. If high productivity people work and risk 10x more than the other people, it's common sense that they should also be rewarded 10x more. Indeed, I think this kind of inequality is a natural and even necessary effect of the free market. If you would want to cut this kind of inequality off, you would also have to cut startups, inventions and innovations with it, since this may be the greatest driver for that.

Here are two quotes with which I tend to agree:
Worry about skin in the game, not inequality. Worry about equality in opportunity not outcome. Worry about the powerful corporations taking over the system via lobbyists and blocking artisans. Worry about the class of privileged mandarins-WNSITG (with no skin in the game) taking over the system via "grandes ecoles"..." - Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Free people are not equal, and equal people are not free. - Unknown

NEM And The Altcoin Landscape

Unfortunately the altcoin landscape is currently plagued with cheap scams and elaborate pump and dump schemes along with a horde of impulsive people enjoying playing this game. However NEM has nothing to do with this landscape. While we may well go through a cambrian crypto-explosion phase, NEM seems to be already between the fittest and is only getting stronger every passing day.

I know things are more complex but for the sake of simplicity consider the following graph:

The Altcoin Landscape

Cheap Scams          Elaborate Scams             Clones                Low Innovation         Deep Innovation
                                      I--------------------I--------------------I--------------------I--------------------I

Approx. Time:        1 Day                      1 Week                  1 Month               3 - 6 Months                1 Year

Approx. Difficulty:      1/10                       2/10                       4/10                       6/10                       10/10

Approx. Value Created:    1 btc                      10 btc                     50 btc                    100 btc                    10000 btc

You must understand that while it would take 1 day to create a cheap scam, 1 month to clone a complex coin like Nxt, it would probably take at least about 1 year to invent a deeply innovative coin if you have all other necessary resources at your disposal1(Nxt would be good example of that). Indeed, it would be both stupid and frustrating to confuse deep innovation with clones or low innovation and demand otherwise. NEM aims to bring deep innovation on multiple levels, so when the alpha version along with more interesting details will be disclosed, I think a lot of people will get very excited and some will even get nervous. Indeed this could be one of the most important developments of the altcoin world in 2014. But as you might understand, until the right moment comes, most of these details need to be kept secret for obvious strategic reasons.

Anyway, starting with our extremely competent and responsible dev team, our large, talented and diverse community, our fair distribution and equality experiment, I think you can all see that with each passing day NEM is evolving to be a whole different kind of creature, unlike anything you have seen it the altcoin world until now. But in order to see that, you must get out of the noisy and impulsive crowd and focus on the signal. If you look close enough I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

The Marshmallow Test And Financial Freedom

It seems there are two major impediments on the road to financial freedom. One of them is the economic and banking system which we are trying to solve at least partially through NEM. The other one is a bit more counter-intuitive and less thought of, it's ourselves(with all the decisions and wrong moves we make). If we want to achieve something we must shift from a consumer mindset to a producer mindset, and therein lies the key.

Looking at the marshmallow experiment which emphasizes self-control and delayed gratification as a better predictor of success than IQ, I can only wonder what all those people selling NEM now will think in a couple of months.

If you would have to choose between receiving 1.5 btc for your share now or delaying gratification to receive at least 10x that amount in a couple of months, what would you choose?

If self-control and delayed gratification are a good predictor of success, it seems quite obvious to me, impulsivity may be an even better predictor of failure.

So in the end, I can only say be wise and make smart decisions because although we all start with an equal opportunity, ultimately our decisions, contributions and productivity will decide our outcome, and trust me, as it looks, there won't be any equality in that.

References
1 Through necessary resources I mean an enormous amount of brain power, time and energy to invest and conceptualize such a novel technology and an even greater amount of brainpower, time, energy and determination to transform things from the realm of ideas to reality. But it gets even more intriguing, since although these resources are necessary, in a lot of cases they may still not be sufficient.

And one more thing, remember, this is only the very beginning of NEM, you have not seen what NEM is capable of yet.
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:03:54 PM

If you or anybody else would like to translate the post in other languages, please pm me so I can give you the whole code so it can look the same.

I'd like to help translate it in Romanian, if there is an interest.
Thank you.

Yes, I think that would be great. Just wait a a bit until we add and correct most mistakes.
Lasmiranda

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:48:08 PM

Thank you for that hard work - it looks awesome.
NEM will be the biggest surprise in 2014.

Good to be a Nemster!  Grin
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 04:54:20 AM

Thank you for that hard work - it looks awesome.
NEM will be the biggest surprise in 2014.

Good to be a Nemster!  Grin

Looking at how people continually run after the next pump and dump I definitely think it will be a surprise for most of them.
Mikez

Activity: 508

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 09:15:02 AM

If you or anybody else would like to translate the post in other languages, please pm me so I can give you the whole code so it can look the same.

I'd like to help translate it in Romanian, if there is an interest.
Thank you.

Yes, I think that would be great. Just wait a a bit until we add and correct most mistakes.

Suonds good to me. Just let me know(a PM would be great) when I can get started. Thanks.

bopstika

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 09:39:39 AM

Inspiring stuff. I guess holding is the key.
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 12:46:32 PM

Inspiring stuff. I guess holding is the key.

Yeah, holding and more importantly contributing.
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 09:21:07 PM

It seems NEM is getting closer and closer to alpha launch.

This is an update just posted by one of the core devs of NEM.

Can't wait to test NEM.
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 09:18:42 PM

We have great news:

The Open Alpha is scheduled on 6/25. Let's the countdown begin. We will be inviting selective users into the closed Alpha testing starting in a couple of days. The priority goes to helpers/ volunteers who are in the Trello board or answer the volunteer survey earlier so there is no need to sign up now. Thanks.

On behalf of the NEM dev. team.

I will add a countdown timer later.
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 01:35:38 PM

Here are two versions of timer for: The Great NEM Alpha Launch

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=1440&iso=20140625T00&year=2014&month=6&day=25&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&msg=The%20Great%20NEM%20Alpha%20Launch

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?p0=1440&iso=20140625T00&year=2014&month=6&day=25&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&msg=The%20Great%20NEM%20Alpha%20Launch

Let the official NEM storm begin.  Cool
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 07:00:12 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2014, 07:14:49 PM by xtester

second is better i think! Cheesy

Yeah, the second one looks better.  Smiley
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:18:02 AM

Just updated the visual handout with a slightly modified and corrected version.
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 07:36:11 AM

Regarding the updated design, I am interested in the community's thoughts on using the circle with 3 balls (tomoe; 巴) or some modified form as our symbol/logo.

Right now I don't think we really have a symbol that relates to humans because transformed triangles and squares are a little too abstract. It is important to create something that people can see and have a feeling for what it means. Tomoe and symbols like yin-yang represent a dynamic balance that shows harmony and yet movement at the same time. I think if you think about what that means conceptually then you can get an idea for what a fitting design for NEM will be.

At a high level, I think you could summarize NEM in 3 parts:

- financial freedom
- decentralization
- equality of opportunity

Uniting these three together in solidarity, we have a theme where these three components must be together and work together in order to create an emergent harmony (i.e., the new economy).

If anyone has any ideas on other symbols we could use that represent these ideals, please post them here!

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 10:29:24 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2014, 01:54:26 AM by jabo38

Tomoe.  

There are lots of different versions.  I think one with three colors to represent each value would be nice.  Honestly, I know little about this kind of thing though.

I am okay with this being a symbol for the alpha for sure.  At some point I would like to see the community vote to keep it or make a new one.  

makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 01:27:44 AM

Thanks, Jabo.

UP's concern is that NEM should try to create an original symbol rather than using something that is in the public domain. I can see his point, but so far no one has come up with anything, so I proposed this for now, hoping that it will spark some new ideas.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 05:33:47 AM

I can see both of your points.  I really am not sure as this isn't my area of expertise. 

The advantage the symbol you suggested is that it can't really be copyrighted and could be made unique for NEM. 

Really I hope the community gets a good symbol. 

xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:52:37 AM

Regarding the updated design, I am interested in the community's thoughts on using the circle with 3 balls (tomoe; 巴) or some modified form as our symbol/logo.

Right now I don't think we really have a symbol that relates to humans because transformed triangles and squares are a little too abstract. It is important to create something that people can see and have a feeling for what it means. Tomoe and symbols like yin-yang represent a dynamic balance that shows harmony and yet movement at the same time. I think if you think about what that means conceptually then you can get an idea for what a fitting design for NEM will be.

At a high level, I think you could summarize NEM in 3 parts:

- financial freedom
- decentralization
- equality of opportunity

Uniting these three together in solidarity, we have a theme where these three components must be together and work together in order to create an emergent harmony (i.e., the new economy).

If anyone has any ideas on other symbols we could use that represent these ideals, please post them here!

Good points, makoto. Thanks for taking the discussion further. Hopefully we'll be able to find something soon enough.
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 01:02:44 PM

xtester: I hope that our 3000 stakeholders can come up with something and adopt it organically. It's important to create a sustainable community, so us devs can't do everything Wink

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
jnuqsx

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:26:43 PM

Please put a link to the NXT asset exchange section where NEMtokens are being traded. I can't find a single post within any NEM thread that has a link to it.

Done.
@xtester  Outstanding job, Huge thanks! Cheesy
xtester (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:30:59 PM

NEM may already have ended

Panic!!  Spread the obscure FUD (bonus points for bad english, since it confuses people even more).

Sell your NEM stakes for $500 a piece, so the Chinese can buy them up!!  From the same people who held Bitcoin hostage,  Chinese fudders coming to an theatre / alt coin near you!

LOL, it feels so good to finally be able to delete stupid troll posts. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: