Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:55:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Government Bans Professor for Mining Bitcoin with A Supercomputer  (Read 3649 times)
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:17:24 PM

There was an article, I believe in 2012 that said some guy who was in charge of IT at a middle school was using like 50+ computers to CPU mine bitcoins. This was back when CPU mining was still viable.

I tried to find the article you referenced.

Perhaps you meant the Australian Broadcasting Company?

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/06/22/tips-and-rumours-481/

http://delimiter.com.au/2012/05/21/the-abc-didnt-sack-bitcoin-miner/

I don't think it was either of those. Although both of those articles were I believe talking about the same incident.

If I remember correctly it was in PA.

It was almost certainly a school and I think the guy was doing it over the summer.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:21:37 PM

To be honest, this guy got what was coming. He shouldn't have been using it without permission for personal interests, and as such he was banned from working with the gov't.

Unless you think that the money you spend on taxes should be pumped into another individual's attempt at wealth, you should think this is the best thing to be done.

I wonder how fast he mined though. Probably multiple terrahashes...
row5_seat47 (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:43:56 PM

To be honest, this guy got what was coming.

Huh
WSJ says its still under investigation.  Basically he didn't  "get" whatever "is coming" yet

"A representative of the agency said the investigation is ongoing, and should be complete before the September report."

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/06/09/bitbeat-like-a-hurricane-cointerras-giant-bitcoin-mining-plant/

Roll Eyes
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 10:45:10 PM

Why did I laugh so hard at this?

I don't know but I did as well Cheesy
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:50:08 PM

To be honest, this guy got what was coming.

Huh
WSJ says its still under investigation.  Basically he didn't  "get" whatever "is coming" yet

"A representative of the agency said the investigation is ongoing, and should be complete before the September report."

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/06/09/bitbeat-like-a-hurricane-cointerras-giant-bitcoin-mining-plant/

Roll Eyes
He got banned, not much else to it.

He was using it without permission (*Assumed) and so the ban is what he got for doing that.
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:07:05 PM

Was not even worth it.

He did not make much, and now he is the laughing stock.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:14:59 PM

Awesome, if they only knew all similar cases .. oh well sush-shush better play it safe Smiley
he should have mined that primecoin, afterall its for science purpuses
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 11:52:52 PM

Was not even worth it.

He could have easily made a ton if he picked a couple of altcoins. to mine instead, clearly he didn't do enough research before going into it and didn't understand difficulty, but his experiment did tell us one thing, a 51% attack is extremely unlikely because of the cost, which we've known all along, but it was nice to see it confirmed.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:51:43 AM

There is as much fraud and embezzlement in academia as in most any other professions.  I know several cases in my own department and university that are much worse than that one, in terms of amount of taxpayers money pocketed illegally.

Bitcoiners should not gloat too much, though.  This may have been a healthy community of hopeful, honest, idealist hackers at the beginning, when bitcoins were worthless tokens in an obscure computer science experiment.  But, since then, all the crooks in the  world -- from the street vendor who sold fake hello kitty stuff, to the Russian mafia, and to Wall Street sharks -- have discovered bitcoin, fell in love with it, and immediately aimed their skills at it.  I sometimes doubt that there is now one bitcoin-related enterprise that makes money without swindling someone.  Tongue

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:53:50 AM

He could have easily made a ton if he picked a couple of altcoins. to mine instead, clearly he didn't do enough research before going into it
If the incident happeneed 2 years ago, then there were no altcoins around at the time, were there?

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:11:22 AM

Was not even worth it.

He could have easily made a ton if he picked a couple of altcoins. to mine instead, clearly he didn't do enough research before going into it and didn't understand difficulty, but his experiment did tell us one thing, a 51% attack is extremely unlikely because of the cost, which we've known all along, but it was nice to see it confirmed.

What he should have done was mine on a multipool for scrypt coins.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:44:58 AM

He could have easily made a ton if he picked a couple of altcoins. to mine instead, clearly he didn't do enough research before going into it
If the incident happeneed 2 years ago, then there were no altcoins around at the time, were there?

I think LTC may have just been getting started then.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 10:07:06 PM

Was not even worth it.

Nice to see a professor not doing research Grin

Could have just played chess on that machine and got more joy.
Harley997

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:56:56 AM

Was not even worth it.

Nice to see a professor not doing research Grin

Could have just played chess on that machine and got more joy.

I don't think that is what tenured professors do.

He was doing some kind of research it just turned out to be what the university did not like/approve of

PRIMEDICE
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:17:35 AM

He was doing some kind of research it just turned out to be what the university did not like/approve of
What he was doing was not research, obviously.  

"Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."(*)  He knew very well that that he was making money.  Cheesy

(*) I have seen that definition attributed to Von Braun and to Einstein, possibly with different words.

Harley997

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:37:37 AM

What he was doing was not research, obviously.  

"Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing."(*)  He knew very well that that he was making money.  Cheesy

(*) I have seen that definition attributed to Von Braun and to Einstein, possibly with different words.

He claimed that he was doing research and I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Yes he was mining bitcoin, however there are several scientific questions about bitcoin that he could have possibly have been researching.

PRIMEDICE
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:50:19 AM

He claimed that he was doing research and I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.
Could be...  but if he kept the mined coins for himself, then there would not be much room for doubt, I'm afraid

ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:54:42 AM

Could be...  but if he kept the mined coins for himself, then there would not be much room for doubt, I'm afraid

He kept the earned bitcoin, but there are still very valid research purposes.

He could have easily have been trying to test gambling sites, tumbling sites, and number of the illicit sites with the earned coins.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:59:54 AM

He kept the earned bitcoin, but there are still very valid research purposes.

He could have easily have been trying to test gambling sites, tumbling sites, and number of the illicit sites with the earned coins.
We need more people like the above poster in the world! (As much as I know it's sarcasm, I'm playing along).

Don't you see everyone? Just because he did something without permission doesn't mean he's not researching! He probably used those coins to research delivery speed from a number of BTC websites, or did the research to see how long it would take for inflation to render the money made from the coins minuscule!

Silly government!
row5_seat47 (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:34:31 PM

I don't think it was either of those. ...

If I remember correctly it was in PA.

It was almost certainly a school and I think the guy was doing it over the summer.

Found it

How to Get Rich on Bitcoin, By a System Administrator Who's Secretly Growing Them On His School's Computers
by RYAN BRODERICK May 27, 2011

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/how-to-get-rich-on-bitcoin-by-a-system-administrator-who-s-secretly-growing-them-on-his-school-s-computers
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: