Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:15:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful-Attempting mugging at in person trade  (Read 4267 times)
LeBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:47:38 AM

Be careful out there if trading in person. Somebody just attempted to rob me of my phone after setting up a local trade.

I'm in a French city (not Paris) and somebody contacted me over localbitcoins for an in person trade.
He wanted to buy 500 euros worth of BTC.
We agreed to meet at a big open public square where there is a bar and lots of people milling around.
When we met up two people arrived and we started to talk about how the site works and how he can verify the transaction BTC.
I then whip out my phone and log in to my account stressing the whole time that I need extra passwords to release the funds. Then when I ask him for the moeny, one guy grabbed the phone while the other pulled out a tear gas canister and sprayed me. Luckily I had managed to grab back my phone and started to shout and swing a few punches and they ran off. I was glad that the place was quite full and people quickly helped me. I will be filing a police report but I'm not sure that it will do any good.

TLDR- Be careful when trading in person, criminals are starting to realise what bitcoin is about.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:03:15 AM

Wow. I am glad you got out of that situation okay. maybe inside a coffee shop or restaurant would be safer next time. 

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:12:54 AM

Be careful out there if trading in person. Somebody just attempted to rob me of my phone after setting up a local trade.

I'm in a French city (not Paris) and somebody contacted me over localbitcoins for an in person trade.
We agreed to meet at a big open public square where there is a bar and lots of people milling around.
When we met up two people arrived and we started to talk about how the site works and how he can verify the transaction BTC.
I then whip out my phone and log in to my account stressing the whole time that I need extra passwords to release the funds. Then when I ask him for the moeny, one guy grabbed the phone while the other pulled out a tear gas canister and sprayed me. Luckily I had managed to grab back my phone and started to shout and swing a few punches and they ran off. I was glad that the place was quite full and people quickly helped me. I will be filing a police report but I'm not sure that it will do any good.

TLDR- Be careful when trading in person, criminals are starting to realise what bitcoin is about.

good lad for having fast reactions. and please do not feel that nothing will happen due to it being bitcoin.. a crime is a crime. so here is what i think the charges should be
theft (mobile phone)
assault (pepper/tear gas)
extortion (threat to gain your password to steal your assets)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
twistyfy

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:30:16 AM

Wow! Maybe you should've been in a more public place. But glad you're okay!
LeMiner

Activity: 139
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:41:41 AM

Glad you got out of that ok.

Since you were in a semi-public place, I do recommend filing a police report, there might have been cameras that registered the offenders or what happened. Next time perhaps only meet in a restaurant or coffee place where it's harder to run in or out quickly.

Also, let this be a lesson to everyone, NEVER EVER carry around more bitcoins than you ABSOLUTELY have to, make sure that whatever app you use on your phone has password protection and that you have a backup of your wallet somewhere so you can pull out your coins in case your phone gets stolen.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 01:44:36 AM

I'd like to see them try that past metal detectors, armed personnel.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:48:53 AM

If you prefer in person trade, you bring one or two people with you.  OP's unfortunate experience is a warning for us.
LeBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:53:03 AM

Thanks for the messages.
Just happy that they got away with nothing and if they did get my phone it had double protection and a limited number of bitcoins. Just posted this to warn others that you should never let your guard down when dealing in person. Any transaction involving money will atract the worst kind of people.
I will update tomorrow when I file the police report.
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 02:17:29 AM

Glad that you're safe, I have a face-to-face trade lined up myself at a local bitcoin meet-up and after reading this I think I should take cpl of my friends with me to be safe.

acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:35:20 AM

I would suggest meeting in a cafe, or something. And bringing a friend. At least one that can defend you. You don't want Teddy the Bitch crying in a corner while they try to steal your Starbucks.
morphtrust

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 02:48:17 AM

I would suggest meeting in a cafe, or something. And bringing a friend. At least one that can defend you. You don't want Teddy the Bitch crying in a corner while they try to steal your Starbucks.
you should be aware that if you have someone with you even if they are not good at defense, unless the accosting people trying to steal your stuff, KNOWS that teddy is a bitch and will cry instead of fight, then they are going to assume he is dangerous and not try anything Smiley

"Violence, is the last refuge of the incompetent."
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:53:48 AM

So are you going to use your smarts to avoid problems, or are you going to turn this into an arms race?
I bring two people, next time you bring three, pretty soon we're all walking around with armed bodyguards to protect our phones.
Peter882

Activity: 543

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 10:08:49 AM

Good to see you are able to get your phone back in the end.

After reading your story, I guess I will take a picture of the trader and upload it to my dropbox, before doing anything else...

Cancan

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:45:08 PM

Wow. I am glad you got out of that situation okay. maybe inside a coffee shop or restaurant would be safer next time. 

Well, as OP stated, he met with the guys in a crowded public place. Maybe next time you should bring a friend with you, especially when handling sums that might tempt muggers/scammers.

Also, it isn't mandatory to have the wallet with you when you do a trade. Bitcoin allows a lot of stuff, just use your imagination.
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

Well, as OP stated, he met with the guys in a crowded public place. Maybe next time you should bring a friend with you, especially when handling sums that might tempt muggers/scammers.

Also, it isn't mandatory to have the wallet with you when you do a trade. Bitcoin allows a lot of stuff, just use your imagination.

I think meeting in a building is better. If they would've gotten his phone in that square, he probably wouldn't have ever found them again. Being walled off is a bit better than being out in the open. In a building, two guys running with gas canisters to the doors is suspicious. In a square, it's still suspicious, but they have more freedom to roam.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:47:42 PM

The way this needs to work is...

"Free Coffee for Biggest Toughest Fried!!!"
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 04:07:30 PM

Is this you or someone else plagiarizing?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/27gke8/attempted_to_steal_my_bitcoins_and_phone_in_local/

LeBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 04:15:31 PM

This is someone plagerising. My pseudo on reddit is LeBitco1n

I went to the police today but there was a 2 hour wait so will go back tomorrow.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 05:12:58 AM

Cops...never one around when you actually need one :p

Glad you got out of that intact...and with the phone no less Smiley

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 05:20:24 AM

Oh! Its nice to hear that you are okay. It is better to trade BTC in BTC-e or Bitstamp or in other good trading sites.
Kindly,
       Muhammed Zakhir

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: