Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:56:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 1 bitcoin a decent and good investment?  (Read 15406 times)
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 05:49:19 PM

Better than nothing, there are millions of people who doesn't know anything about BTC till now.
addroup

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 07:29:09 PM

We are still at the early stage of bitcoin's life, in the future, when the adoption will be completed, they will be valued thousands of dollars.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 08:26:03 PM

We are still at the early stage of bitcoin's life, in the future, when the adoption will be completed, they will be valued thousands of dollars.

I believe so too.
Im here for some time now, and i remember when 1000btc was nothing, you could buy / sell withouth even moving the price, and now just 2 years later, 1000 btc is everyman's dream.
I wouldnt be surprised if in a year or two, 1 bitcoin becomes something allmost noone has, and the catalyst in that will definetly be bitcoin reward halving.
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:01:03 AM

That's a possibility, but there's still a lot of risk involved.  If it were a sure thing, they'd already be trading at thousands of dollars.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 10:46:13 AM

Is 1 bitcoin a decent and good investment?
I think most of us, Bitcoin users, would like to answer yes but it's very difficult to predict what will happen with the Bitcoin in the future.
If Bitcoin become mainstream, it will surely become good investment, but many other scenarios are also possible.
Some other, crypto currency can become more popular than bitcoin, US gov. can try to stop bitcoin for their own reasons, another global financial crises etc.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:28:07 AM

Thinking realistically, I believe that after 10 years, the exchange rate of Bitcoin will be somewhere around $40,000 to $50,000 per coin (if Bitcoin seizes a significant part of the remittance market and the online payment processing market). If you invest in 100 Bitcoins right now, after 10 years you'll have $4-5 million with you. Convince your uncle to buy a few more coins.  Grin

Though realistically, who would be willing to pay $40,000 to $50,000 for 1 bitcoin?

I guess it comes down to affordability, and whether or not the value of our currency will be viable in 10 years time or if it will be replaced (?) by Bitcoin.

Bitcoin can be divided by a lot of factors. I think in the future, we will look back at it dumbfounded about how we were talking in terms of millions (BTC) when the standard in the future will be milibits, satoshis or whatever.
Only whales will trade in terms of BTC's, just like only whales trade in terms of millions now.

dubalol

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:56:46 PM

If you are an investor with $50,000 USD looking to start a well-balanced portfolio, then 1 bitcoin is a necessary purchase--you'd be foolish not to include it.  Yes, BTC is a very risky asset but the rate of return has been so high that it must take up at least a small portion (say 1%) of your portfolio.  How risky you think bitcoin actually is would determine how much more (or less) of your portfolio it should comprise.

Disclaimer: I'm talking out of my ass and I invest in almost nothing but bitcoin.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:29:41 PM

Thinking realistically, I believe that after 10 years, the exchange rate of Bitcoin will be somewhere around $40,000 to $50,000 per coin (if Bitcoin seizes a significant part of the remittance market and the online payment processing market). If you invest in 100 Bitcoins right now, after 10 years you'll have $4-5 million with you. Convince your uncle to buy a few more coins.  Grin

Though realistically, who would be willing to pay $40,000 to $50,000 for 1 bitcoin?

I guess it comes down to affordability, and whether or not the value of our currency will be viable in 10 years time or if it will be replaced (?) by Bitcoin.

Maybe by that time the standard measurure will be the mbtcs and yes, people will pay 100 dollars for 1 mbtc
And what reason will obligate people to change their Bitcoins to USD if every bussines will accept Bitcoin? I don't get it...
to avoid the price fluctuating loss. once BTC payment is received, convert to fiat instantly. The BTC price in the label is auto modified based on the current exchange rate. Actually everything is still priced by fiat.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:50:13 PM

If you can afford to lose 1 btc then yes, it's a nice investment because one bitcoin could be valued $100.000 in the future but it could also fall to $0.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 10310

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:56:17 PM

If you are an investor with $50,000 USD looking to start a well-balanced portfolio, then 1 bitcoin is a necessary purchase--you'd be foolish not to include it.  Yes, BTC is a very risky asset but the rate of return has been so high that it must take up at least a small portion (say 1%) of your portfolio.  How risky you think bitcoin actually is would determine how much more (or less) of your portfolio it should comprise.

Disclaimer: I'm talking out of my ass and I invest in almost nothing but bitcoin.

Despite your disclaimer, that is pretty sound advice, especially for someone who already is fairly diversified in his liquid investments and someone is newly coming into BTC.  The calculations may be different for someone who has already experienced previous BTC price appreciations of greater than 2x. 

I have NOT experienced any significant BTC price appreciation.  Currently, I have closer to 5% of my liquid assets in BTC, and my low investment percentage has to do with my beginning to get involved in BTC in November 2013, when BTC prices were at their previous ATH.  I have been engaged in a form of dollar cost averaging, so currently my average price per BTC is around $613.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:10:46 PM

It's very difficult question at the moment.
Bitcoin is still on very early stage, not globally accepted so it's impossible to predict future now.
Of course that we hope that value of Bitcoin will rise but even Bitcoin is crypto currency still this is free market, and you must consider this point.
Golden rule. Invest just money you can afford to loose Smiley

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:53:49 AM

Like most people have said, only invest what you can afford to lose. If that sums up to 1 Bitcoin, then great, hold it for 2 years + and see where it lands. To the people suggesting that someone who could only buy 1 bitcoin, should buy 100....well that just doesn't add up.

Keep the 1 Bitcoin safe, keep it on multiple backups and I'm pretty sure  you'll be happy in a few years when we all start talking in mBTC or less, rather than whole bitcoins.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:02:04 AM

I believe this thread really is a nice one for those who are middle class and trying to buy at least 1 bitcoin. .

then can be at peace... for their life being secured
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:03:06 AM

I believe this thread really is a nice one for those who are middle class and trying to buy at least 1 bitcoin. .

then can be at peace... for their life being secured

If they can wait for another 10 years....
98problems

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 05:39:53 AM

This is exactly a reason why bitcoin is not a good investment. Anything this is new is going to carry a lot of risks.

CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 07:55:43 PM

This is exactly a reason why bitcoin is not a good investment. Anything this is new is going to carry a lot of risks.
It just depends on what kind of investment you're looking for.  Usually high risk investments have the greatest potential for high reward.  Bitcoin is a lot like a penny stock that might be worth a lot someday (or, at least it was a couple years ago; it's obviously matured some since then).
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 12:51:48 AM

What economic activity would cause bitcoin to go up in value like this?

-The USD could be come so inflated
-The population of Bitcoins becomes finite (once all are mined, similar to gold) and more and more people want to own it
-More people want to own and hoard it

All of these reasons could increase the price. But if it becomes an alternative form of currency, for spending, spending adoption alone will not raise the price (unless the USD or fiat becomes significantly inflated).

Anything I'm missing here?

Alternative opinions encouraged...

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 12:54:45 AM

Thinking realistically, I believe that after 10 years, the exchange rate of Bitcoin will be somewhere around $40,000 to $50,000 per coin (if Bitcoin seizes a significant part of the remittance market and the online payment processing market). If you invest in 100 Bitcoins right now, after 10 years you'll have $4-5 million with you. Convince your uncle to buy a few more coins.  Grin

Sounds crazy, I know, but look at what people are willing to pay for one of Warren Buffet's preferred shares:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BRK-A

$192,476.00

1 share. Yeah investors would pay 40-50K for 1 BTC for a joke.

There's a huge difference you're not considering. Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway earns revenue and pays earnings...this is what drives the price of that stock up. Bitcoin does no such thing, it's not an entity it's a commodity (like water or gold). It doesn't earn revenue. It's not a stock!

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 01:35:09 AM

What economic activity would cause bitcoin to go up in value like this?

-The USD could be come so inflated
-The population of Bitcoins becomes finite (once all are mined, similar to gold) and more and more people want to own it
-More people want to own and hoard it

All of these reasons could increase the price. But if it becomes an alternative form of currency, for spending, spending adoption alone will not raise the price (unless the USD or fiat becomes significantly inflated).

Anything I'm missing here?

Alternative opinions encouraged...

According to some investors, they predict BTC adoption could be as much as the users of facebook. And if each adopter, wanted to hold ~$100 worth of bitcoin, the market cap of BTC could shoot up.

Adoption would imply people will like to hold some bitcoin at least.
joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 09:03:09 AM

I think a 1 btc investment is worth the risk. Just be prepared to HOLD and HOLD and then HOLD some more. If you can't afford to lose it then don't bother. It could pay off nicely an IMO its worth the gamble.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: