Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:07:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 1 bitcoin a decent and good investment?  (Read 15406 times)
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:36:26 AM

my uncle said that 1 bitcoin is all he could afford right now..i could not assure him if it is really a decent and good one...

i said him i will get back to you after i ask this in the forums..

so what is your opinion?
Advise your uncle to read a little about it Smiley
1 BTC is the smallest amount you can invest in. Invest with your two hands Smiley
I see great future in the coin so I am sure you will be happy with your coin Wink
BTW it is time to buy right now as the price is unbeliveably cheap
BR
Gondel
gambian-

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:36:09 PM

I'm not going to say 'If Bitcoin' this or 'Bitcoin will be this high in' or state a whatever-the-hell value. A investment is a investment. It could lose value. Crash. Be forgotten. It can also rise. It's a 50/50 chance.

I highly doubt bitcoin will just be forgotten after all of the work put into that. A very bad assumption and definitely not a 50/50 chance.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 04:07:57 PM

I guess it's a better "investment" today than it was last week or the week before.
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 04:36:31 PM

Its a great investment for a better future....whether its a good investment for fiat returns has got nothing to do with how much you buy, and is something nobody can answer because nobody can see the future.

Generally, buying Bitcoin purely as an investment is probably not a good idea because of the high risks and many unknowns. In fact, it is incorrect to suggest that buying Bitcoin in the hope of future rises in value is an investment at all - it is a speculative trade or a straight out gamble, but not an investment.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 10298

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:12:34 AM

Its a great investment for a better future....whether its a good investment for fiat returns has got nothing to do with how much you buy, and is something nobody can answer because nobody can see the future.

Generally, buying Bitcoin purely as an investment is probably not a good idea because of the high risks and many unknowns. In fact, it is incorrect to suggest that buying Bitcoin in the hope of future rises in value is an investment at all - it is a speculative trade or a straight out gamble, but not an investment.

You seem to be arguing with semantics b/c a person can allocate the amount of their "investment" into BTC in order to suit their needs and their consideration of the matter by weight all of the relevant factors within the realm of their information.  For example, a person may consider BTC to be part of his/her "investment" portfolio b/c s/he has 10% in BTC 10% in precious metals, 50% in various index stocks, 10% in various bonds, 10% in real estate and 5% in company X and 5% in company Y.  .... or other various allocations according to risk aversion and vision of future probabilities.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:17:46 AM

If the OP kept his 1 Bitcoin he would had lost money so far.  While there have been many crypto currencies where he would had made thousands so far.

Not like it's hard to guess a winner.  Most of the 300+ alternates are $hitclones intended to be scams.  There's only a few genuine winners out there.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:27:21 AM

If the OP kept his 1 Bitcoin he would had lost money so far.  While there have been many crypto currencies where he would had made thousands so far.

Not like it's hard to guess a winner.  Most of the 300+ alternates are $hitclones intended to be scams.  There's only a few genuine winners out there.

I guess the OP is talking about medium to long term. So whether he loses his money or not, we should judge after ~3 years.
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 02:35:53 AM

1 bitcoin would be a nice fun introduction to investing, seeing how it rises and drops and the ticker is easy to find. If you are going to get one, make sure you can afford to lose all 626$ of it. It could crash at any time, so only invest what you can afford to lose. Other than that, go ahead!

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:48:41 AM

One Bitcoin is definitely a good investment to be honest and if at the moment that is all your uncle can afford then I wouldn't let him get too down about it as he already has something that is worth quite a bit. If however he did have the cash to buy a few extra bitcoins I would definitely try and talk him into it as it will definitely be worth his while in the long run Smiley

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:55:15 PM

There are only 21 million Bitcoins to be ever created, there are 5,727,771,964 people living right now in first world countries. So say Bitcoin gets accepted in ebay. Now practically all of these 5,727,771,964 people are aware that Bitcoin exists because everyone and their mother uses ebay or has used it at least once, and they will see the "pay with Bitcoin" button, then go learn what is that. Satistically, a big part of these people will start using it. Having just 1 BTC puts you in the 1% of BTC holders. I think in the future BTC will be the equivalent of talking in terms of a million in current purchasing power of fiat currencies, everyone will talk in terms of mbits or satoshi.
If this happens tho, I hope we aren't old as fuck to enjoy our new found wealth.

TheChosenOne

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Who would ever pay $100 for one coin, let alone $500? Be realistic people, nobody will throw that kind of absurd money at a line of code.
Do you realise that money is created by the click of a mouse and that everyone only has some lines of code?
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:26:44 PM

There are only 21 million Bitcoins to be ever created, there are 5,727,771,964 people living right now in first world countries. So say Bitcoin gets accepted in ebay. Now practically all of these 5,727,771,964 people are aware that Bitcoin exists because everyone and their mother uses ebay or has used it at least once, and they will see the "pay with Bitcoin" button, then go learn what is that. Satistically, a big part of these people will start using it. Having just 1 BTC puts you in the 1% of BTC holders. I think in the future BTC will be the equivalent of talking in terms of a million in current purchasing power of fiat currencies, everyone will talk in terms of mbits or satoshi.
If this happens tho, I hope we aren't old as fuck to enjoy our new found wealth.

If BTC keeps going up, when will we ever feel like spending/enjoying our wealth?  Grin
Happy_idiot

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:32:17 PM

Of course it is Kiss
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 06:56:31 PM

One BTC investment at this time will not give you a fortune at any near time.
The BTC value already skyrocketed from the lows. Early birds entered at below $50.
Now the BTC is in the mainstream, even mainstream businesses started accepting BTC.
So, the chances for a multifold increase are negligibly low.
I expect an compounded ROI of 10% to 20% per year in the medium term.
Should have invested three years back. I will suggest you to put 40% in BTC and 20% each in three different alt-coins.
For example, ReddCoin is an emerging coin. There are others too.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:39:00 PM

Pound for pound, I don't think there really is any other investment vehicle that offers as much potential upside with such a small investment.   If you invest $800 in any traditional stock, bond, mutual fund, etc...you would be doing great if you make 9-12%....that doesn't really get you anywhere.

At least holding 1 BTC you will see some action, and possibly turn a decent profit.   You can also cash it out just as quickly as any other investment (if not faster)
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:22:46 PM

Pound for pound, I don't think there really is any other investment vehicle that offers as much potential upside with such a small investment.   If you invest $800 in any traditional stock, bond, mutual fund, etc...you would be doing great if you make 9-12%....that doesn't really get you anywhere.

At least holding 1 BTC you will see some action, and possibly turn a decent profit.   You can also cash it out just as quickly as any other investment (if not faster)

But should relate the RISK of ROI or the I itself when seeing higher %ROI.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:58:22 AM

If BTC keeps going up, when will we ever feel like spending/enjoying our wealth?  Grin

You spend it in small increments and you continue to save.  And, if you believe you are going to die, then you spend it quickly b/c you cannot take it with you.

If you are trying to make the argument that bitcoin is flawed b/c it causes people to hoard, then you are looking at the world too narrowly.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 03:08:39 AM

One BTC investment at this time will not give you a fortune at any near time.
The BTC value already skyrocketed from the lows. Early birds entered at below $50.
Now the BTC is in the mainstream, even mainstream businesses started accepting BTC.
So, the chances for a multifold increase are negligibly low.
I expect an compounded ROI of 10% to 20% per year in the medium term.
Should have invested three years back. I will suggest you to put 40% in BTC and 20% each in three different alt-coins.
For example, ReddCoin is an emerging coin. There are others too.

Skip the alt coins, unless you really study them.  Otherwise put about 90% or more of your crypto currency money into BTC.

at the moment, I have more than 95% of mine in BTC...

It is likely that BTC will average a quite handsome profit in the coming years in the 100-200% per year range, yet it is difficult to determine exactly the amount that it is going to return to BTC Holders. 

The upside potential remains 10x per year, but those kinds of great returns are in no way guaranteed (but they are NOT out of the question).

Even though BTC could lose value or could appreciate only in the amount predicted by allcoinminer (10-20%)... yet even with a 10-20% return, that would be a very good return.

BTW, even though I have over 95% of my crypto currency investments in BTC, I have less than 10% of my quasi-liquid investment assets in BTC (I have a variety of other index funds)..... .however, nearly all of my new cash that I obtain goes into BTC...  so I expect the BTC percentage of my total investment portfolio to be rising in percentages in the coming years..

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:09:25 AM

There's no substantial ROI left in Bitcoin compared to the risk involved.  Investment gold is only $2 trillion.   If Bitcoin went up 100 times it would be around $1 trillion capitalization.  

If you bought a Bitcoin at $500 and then it hit a capitalization of $1 trillion - you only made $50,000..   definitely nowhere near enough to retire on...   Diversifying that $500 into a dozen promising alternates is likely to reap better results.

Issue of course is nobody wants to do their homework.  Crypto currencies is being treated like lottery tickets by a lot of people.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:21:57 AM

There's no substantial ROI left in Bitcoin compared to the risk involved.  Investment gold is only $2 trillion.   If Bitcoin went up 100 times it would be around $1 trillion capitalization.  

If you bought a Bitcoin at $500 and then it hit a capitalization of $1 trillion - you only made $50,000..   definitely nowhere near enough to retire on...   Diversifying that $500 into a dozen promising alternates is likely to reap better results.

Issue of course is nobody wants to do their homework.  Crypto currencies is being treated like lottery tickets by a lot of people.

I doubt that people here are in agreement that 1 BTC would be a sufficient investment for retirement - maybe 10-20 BTC - especially if BTC reaches $1 trillion market cap, as you seem to concede to be possible.  It is also very possible that BTC will reach a greater than $1trillion market cap.... and it is also possible that if people diversify their investments, they still may be able to accumulate more than 20BTC over the years and to profit very well off of the BTC portion of their portfolio. 

Lot's of speculation and lots of potential outcomes.  There are a lot of ways to diversify a person's portfolio, and based on a lot of research, advice and assessment of one's risk tolerance and investment timeline. 

As you seem to have suggested gold as a possible alternative to BTC (or a possible way to hedge one's portfolio), I do NONETHELESS think that BTC has a much greater potential for an upside, as compared with gold. I currently do NOT hold any gold NOR do I plan to invest in Gold b/c currently I am of the belief that BTC accomplishes a lot of the same dollar hedging purposes as gold but BTC is a better investment b/c of its greater potential upside.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: