Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:57:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin ever be more than a 'fringe' asset?  (Read 1502 times)
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:18:28 AM

I think Circle is going to help in that regard. Realistically the average person is not going to go download BitcoinQT and download a multi gigabyte blockchain. But using a service like Circle makes it much more likely that average people would be able to try bitcoin out without doing anything too difficult.

Nonetheless it isn't that hard for the average joe to look online and work out how to download something like Electrum and spend literally 5 minutes setting it up. While for the absolutely lazy it might help, I suspect the issue with not enough acceptance is simply a merchant issue. If more merchants offered to accept it (or even passed on the fee savings they get) then you might see an increase in the overall adoption.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:43:11 AM

I think Circle is going to help in that regard. Realistically the average person is not going to go download BitcoinQT and download a multi gigabyte blockchain. But using a service like Circle makes it much more likely that average people would be able to try bitcoin out without doing anything too difficult.

Nonetheless it isn't that hard for the average joe to look online and work out how to download something like Electrum and spend literally 5 minutes setting it up. While for the absolutely lazy it might help, I suspect the issue with not enough acceptance is simply a merchant issue. If more merchants offered to accept it (or even passed on the fee savings they get) then you might see an increase in the overall adoption.

The Dollar collapsing will cause a lot of suffering, but it will make Bitcoin very popular.
Many of the issues we are concerned with now will disappear as the market finds solutions.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:13:00 AM

Electrum is great but I'd mostly be worried about average people losing their money to malware or losing their wallet seed and thus losing their money incase they lose their data.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: