Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:53:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Open Source Block Erupter Project  (Read 18882 times)
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:43:31 AM

Any chance the chips might be open source too? Wink

Yes. But there are no written plans in the near term yet.

Also it's much harder than making a piece of software open source, because the whole flow to generate GDS has tons of manual operations and very fab and technology node specific.

Please don't do this in the near future Cheesy
On a serious note: I'm curious, though, how would this profit AM?
Whenever open-source or not doesn't make difference in AM profits, both immediate and potential, we will do.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:26:56 PM

Also it's much harder than making a piece of software open source, because the whole flow to generate GDS has tons of manual operations and very fab and technology node specific.
Why not? Open source mining chips benefit the community the best, I think? Or am I missing something?

JoTheKhan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:51:03 PM

Why not? Open source mining chips benefit the community the best, I think? Or am I missing something?

Miner is an investor in AsicMiner, by open sourcing chips wouldn't that give advantage to the competition? I assume this is why he is saying. "don't do this." you are revealing your hand to your opponents I would assume.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 08:37:35 PM

Miner is an investor in AsicMiner, by open sourcing chips wouldn't that give advantage to the competition? I assume this is why he is saying. "don't do this." you are revealing your hand to your opponents I would assume.

Yes, if they completely open-sourced the chip, practically everyone (who can afford a $1.3m mask set) would be able to produce their chips. Hence, AM could get serious problems selling their chips - large customers could just produce them themselves. AM and its investors would be screwed.
After selling the chip isn't profitable anymore or only self-mining is being done, and assuming the chip doesn't contain too much trade-secrets for gen 4, I think it's a nice thing to release the blueprints.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:19:49 AM

Yes, if they completely open-sourced the chip, practically everyone (who can afford a $1.3m mask set) would be able to produce their chips. Hence, AM could get serious problems selling their chips - large customers could just produce them themselves. AM and its investors would be screwed.
After selling the chip isn't profitable anymore or only self-mining is being done, and assuming the chip doesn't contain too much trade-secrets for gen 4, I think it's a nice thing to release the blueprints.

Dump the old on the public keep the new for the AM shareholders. Just have to time that right so you don't get caught with your pants down so to speak. That might have worked in the 1st and 2nd Gen stuff but with other players and chips in the market it the demand is going to go to the cheapest price chip / board combo. Fun times indeed.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:24:29 AM

Anyone interested in designing a Cube Block Erupter retro-fit?
now we're talking!!!  there's a large market for this and the earlier blades too, since the power boards are out there.
if people could buy replacement blades for either platform, they would.  and if they could replace one at a time that would be phenomenal as well.

This would be an amazing thing.  I would like to re-use the cubes since they fit together and stack nicely. 
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 02:32:12 AM

Anyone interested in designing a Cube Block Erupter retro-fit?
now we're talking!!!  there's a large market for this and the earlier blades too, since the power boards are out there.
if people could buy replacement blades for either platform, they would.  and if they could replace one at a time that would be phenomenal as well.
Slightly related to this, is there perhaps the possibility of open sourcing some or all of the Cube's information?
It would be nice for someone to try to debug the TCP stack and figure out how to make it work correctly Wink

minerpumpkin

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 10:59:41 AM

Dump the old on the public keep the new for the AM shareholders. Just have to time that right so you don't get caught with your pants down so to speak. That might have worked in the 1st and 2nd Gen stuff but with other players and chips in the market it the demand is going to go to the cheapest price chip / board combo. Fun times indeed.

Well, AM is a company after all, why should they just now give away their assets for free? Open sourcing the designs at a later point might be considered a mere nice gesture, IMO...

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 11:04:53 AM

Well, AM is a company after all, why should they just now give away their assets for free? Open sourcing the designs at a later point might be considered a mere nice gesture, IMO...

Agreed. Just pointing out the fact that "open" source doesn't always mean altruism.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
xzempt

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 12:58:00 PM

Where is intron and cscape..... they should be all over this Smiley
intron

Activity: 427
Merit: 251

- electronics design|embedded software|verilog -

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 01:06:51 PM

Where is intron and cscape..... they should be all over this Smiley

Working on other stuff now...Wink
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:59:38 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2014, 10:56:39 AM by friedcat

We had AM_BE200_X24 boards sampled and tested. We also sampled the compatible heatsinks and supporting structures for them. It hashes at 768GH (each board 192GH) with 0.85-0.92W/G (PSU loss excluded). Power draws on higher/lower hashrate with higher/lower voltage is under testing. The design files of heatsinks/structures are going to be released a little later.

It should be emphasized that QUAD and X32 are also sampled and well tested before X24.

jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:25:20 AM

We had AM_BE200_X24 boards produced and tested. We also sampled the compatible heatsinks and supporting structures for them. It hashes at 192GH with 0.85-0.92W/G without PSU. Power draws on higher/lower hashrate with higher/lower voltage is under testing. The design files of heatsinks/structures are going to be released a little later.

It should be emphasized that QUAD and X32 are also produced and well tested before X24.

My god it's beautiful.

Where do we buy them??

Also how many chips @ 192gh?
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:32:34 AM

My god it's beautiful.

Where do we buy them??

You can purchase chips and make this devices of your own.

You can also buy from our customers who are going to produce according to this open source X24 design.

Each board has 24 chips and hashes at 192gh at this setting. So the total is 192*4=768gh. The hash speed
can be got higher or lower according to your voltage.

WinterParker

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

Dock.io

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2014, 08:38:41 AM

The power draw is looking good!

▀ ▀ ▀▀▀
                 ▄█▄
         ▄▄      ███
         ▀██▄    ███
      ▄▄▄▄▄███▄  ███
   ▄███████████▀ ███
 ▄███▀    ▄██▀   ███
▄███     ██▀     ███
███              ███
███              ███
███▄            ▄███
 ███▄          ▄███
  ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
    ▀▀████████▀

██                            ██               ▄▄
          ██                            ██               ▀▀
          ██                            ██     ▄▄
  ▄██████▄██    ▄██████▄      ▄██████▄  ██   ▄██▀        ██    ▄██████▄
▄██▀    ▀███  ▄██▀    ▀██▄  ▄██▀    ▀▀  ██ ▄██▀          ██  ▄██▀    ▀██▄
██        ██  ██        ██  ██          █████▄           ██  ██        ██
██        ██  ██        ██  ██          ██▀▀██▄          ██  ██        ██
▀██▄    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▄▄  ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄▄  ██  ▀██▄    ▄██▀
  ▀██████▀      ▀██████▀      ▀██████▀  ██     ▀██  ███  ██    ▀██████▀

▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK        TWITTER        TELEGRAM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬

friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:48:02 AM

It's not the cube.

When we release source of BE100 based cubes there might be some contributors who can do BE200 based cubes for us.

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:07:11 AM

Bicknellski,

I am wandering what happened to your plans to include BE200 In your WASP project?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641957.msg7175102#msg7175102

Thank You
PS: I will appreciate very much if we stay on topic and you leave the usual off topic if you ever answer me.

Once again Thank you very Much

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
minerpumpkin

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:03:02 AM

My god it's beautiful.

Where do we buy them??

You can also buy from our customers who are going to produce according to this open source X24 design.

Each board has 24 chips and hashes at 192gh at this setting. So the total is 192*4=768gh. The hash speed

Maybe you should point out in the original post that the whole miner hashes at 768 GH/s and the single boards hash at 192 GH/s, each. One may be led to think that each chip only performed at 2 GH/s otherwise - which would be quite low.
Good work apart from that, it is a remarkable strategy to open up the designs and let potential customers/resellers produce their own miners. Also, the increase in communication over the last few days is very much appreciated!

friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:46:32 AM

My god it's beautiful.

Where do we buy them??

Maybe you should point out in the original post that the whole miner hashes at 768 GH/s and the single boards hash at 192 GH/s, each. One may be led to think that each chip only performed at 2 GH/s otherwise - which would be quite low.
Good work apart from that, it is a remarkable strategy to open up the designs and let potential customers/resellers produce their own miners. Also, the increase in communication over the last few days is very much appreciated!
Fixed. Sorry.

aahzmundus

Activity: 644

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 12:21:49 PM

Amazing work, that is a beautiful product.  You should be applauded for how your efforts will help to distribute the overall network hashrate.

I would also like to second the thank you for increased communication from AM.

Next time anyone complains about GHash.io, I will link them to this project.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: