Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:07:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FinCEN's Impact?  (Read 1270 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 12:32:18 AM

If FinCEN has their way, unregulated Bitcoin exchanges will bite the dust if they attempt to sell to US customers. Worst case scenario, Bitcoins won't be legal to be sold and exchanged in the US due to it being an unregulatable money-value service.

I can imagine this would increase demand and thus the price; especially in use for darkweb markets, mainly the SilkRoad. However, I will still ask all of you:

What is the likely impact of FinCEN's recent release on Bitcoin's value? Is FinCEN more bark than bite?

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 12:37:36 AM

This is speculation, friend. They talk reality. We talk price.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:11:22 AM

What is the likely impact of FinCEN's recent release on Bitcoin's value? Is FinCEN more bark than bite?

Itll add to the current FUD going on (tradehill, paxum, bitcoinicas legal complaint, Silk Road, volatility, now FinCEN, ..), therefore further downward pressure in the short- mid term. Possibly increased volatility.
Overall, I wouldnt value it too heavyly, the real news is about to come with an actual ruling! Lacking a real lobby, I would expect it to be  at bitcoins charge. Followed by a (hopefully fruitful) discussion and possible adjustments to prior laws. A ruling in this matter could actually launch a ruling domino effect on other legislations all across the globe (people like to believe other peoples arguments are well thought through by the other party before made and therefore consider the counter arguments less meaningful).
This could, left all FUD aside, turn out in bitcoins favor also, if lets say the court case of Mt.Gox vs. that french bank that refused to let them open an account with them, turns out to BTCs advantage (what actually ever became of that?).
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 03:21:39 AM

MORE FUD BY ATLAS!

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 04:44:27 AM

It's obviously bad long term and this down swing it would appear is linked to the exiting of players like Paxum and TH. It will also have an impact on the offshore gambling industry which bitcoin will ironically be poised to function as a deposit method.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2012, 11:44:55 AM

I don't think this issue has any impact yet, it adds to the FUD but not by a lot tbh. We will have to wait and see what comes of this.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
M4v3R

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 11:50:06 AM

This is bad for the price. It doesn't matter if it will have actual impact on Bitcoin. All that matters is there's a possibility of someone beginning a panic sell out of this news.

*turns into a mid-term bear*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: