Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:51:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread about GPU-mining and Litecoin  (Read 33230 times)
Schwede65

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 06:39:05 PM

I guess everyone is ignoring my math that it is currently more profitable to mine LTC on a gpu rig than it is to mine bitcoins on that same rig.

Admittedly this is with the gpu miner kept private. If the gpu miner is released to the public, the ltc difficulty will likely increase, making the profit margin smaller, or putting bitcoin back in the lead.
--- in the quote bold by me ---

that may be the truth...

you can post this the whole day long...

but who cares about a private software and the math with it, especially everyone...

Right, we can't verify your numbers without access to said miner.

yeah, you, Ahimoth, claim to have math, but the only thing you do: start stirring the rumor pot.

Edit:
quote/Ahimoth: "A gpu rig consisting of 69xx series gpus can produce 998kh @ 920 watts"

this is indeed some hot air, because noone is able to compare it to btc-mining:
the nebulous 69xx-rig
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ahimoth

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 06:57:24 PM

I can supply a picture of the rig if you like, but I know that still won't satisfy. Hell I could even make a video of the rig, and then me starting the miner, and showing hashrate at the pool of your choice, and most of you still wouldn't beleive me. Oh well, I was trying to be helpful by giving coblee some facts, so he could determine if a gpu miner for scrypt was enough of a threat to be concerned about, but it seems nobody wants to hear it. I give up...
michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 07:10:31 PM

I can supply a picture of the rig if you like, but I know that still won't satisfy. Hell I could even make a video of the rig, and then me starting the miner, and showing hashrate at the pool of your choice, and most of you still wouldn't beleive me. Oh well, I was trying to be helpful by giving coblee some facts, so he could determine if a gpu miner for scrypt was enough of a threat to be concerned about, but it seems nobody wants to hear it. I give up...

I would very much like to see a video of it pointing at pool-x.
Schwede65

Activity: 309

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 07:31:59 PM

a first little step would be to know, which 69xx-cards are inside this nebulous rig...
then i could do some math and compare btc- and ltc-mining wih this rig...
i don't want to have any videos of this  Grin

btw: "to be helpful" sounds just like some propaganda...
dayfall

Activity: 312

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 07:36:22 PM

I have little invested in Litecoin, but I say we try changing algorithms.  As GPU mining is no threat right now (especially true if someone releases a GPU miner) we can set the switch over date far enough into the future to give enough time for testing and for people to upgrade.

Of course, we first must find out how the current algorithm has failed in order to make a better one.
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 07:52:27 PM

Please dial it down everyone. Ahimoth and mtrlt, if you can make a video that's great. And can you give me more details on hashrate and which video cards?

coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 08:03:52 PM

@Coblee

There's no GPU miner for LTC and they know it. Nothing more than FUD and if Ahimoth wants to throw his reputation on a grenade for Coinhunter then so be it.

Think about it, as bad as Coinhunter despises you  and envies Litecoin, do you think for a second he would sit on a GPU miner that would devestate it? Not a chance.

~BCX~

I've talked to mtrlt about. CoinHunter doesn't control him. And he's in it just for profit. He's making more money with his GPUs mining litecoin than bitcoin. So he won't release it without being compensated somehow.

It's true that this could all be FUD, but I respect Ahimoth enough to believe that he wouldn't be lying about this just to spread FUD.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 08:40:05 PM

@Coblee

There's no GPU miner for LTC and they know it. Nothing more than FUD and if Ahimoth wants to throw his reputation on a grenade for Coinhunter then so be it.

Think about it, as bad as Coinhunter despises you  and envies Litecoin, do you think for a second he would sit on a GPU miner that would devestate it? Not a chance.

~BCX~

I've talked to mtrlt about. CoinHunter doesn't control him. And he's in it just for profit. He's making more money with his GPUs mining litecoin than bitcoin. So he won't release it without being compensated somehow.

It's true that this could all be FUD, but I respect Ahimoth enough to believe that he wouldn't be lying about this just to spread FUD.

Ahimoth has every reason in the world to help spread the FUD and hurt Litecoin.

Ahimoth is the one who made the statement he can post a video of it, so I'm calling him out on it.

~BCX~

Yes, he needs to post some proof... Otherwise this is just the most recent scam from CH... That jerk.
CoinHunter

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 12:48:13 AM

I see nothing correct in your Hashing Algorithm, i've implemented 2.5 faster Version of miner for it (CPU) and due lack of time and profit for mining there is even 3x-8x better implementation of GPU miner for Solidcoin Smiley so it's nothing other Smiley

Yes I'm aware of the improvements that can be made. You'll see the recent economic changes factor in high end CPU/GPU capable of producing close to 3KH/w, maybe a bit over. By the end of January next year the algorithm assumes 4.5KH/w . So if you get your magnifying glass out again I'm sure you'll see something correct.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
coblee (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 04:35:28 AM

I talked to Ahimoth about his specs. Here they are:

Mainboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
Processor: AMD Sempron 140
Memory: 2x1GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz
GPUs: 4x XFX 6950 1GB stock shaders, watercooled, and clocked at 1000mhz core and 1250mhz memory
Power: Corsair AX1200

Hashspeeds:
LTC - 998kh/s (reaper)
BTC - 1624mh/s (cgminer)

Wattage (at the wall):
LTC - 920 watts average
BTC - 950 watts average

The machine makes 1.35 btc every day mining bitcoins.
And it makes 630 ltc every day mining litecoins. At the .0024 exchange rate, that comes out to be 1.51 btc.
So it makes about 10% more mining litecoins as oppose to bitcoins.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:03:56 AM

I wouldn't spend much time on assertions from the Solidcoin camp without seeing the source code. Too many broken promises and sketchy behavior.

Occam says it is probably cut and pasted code with the licenses removed. There is probably bug in the hash rate display (again) making them think they are mining fast. Or they just made the whole thing up.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:19:22 AM

lol, i've gone from not caring about to outright disliking solidcoin, mostly due to the loudmouth idiots that support it, and the trolls that attack btc-e chat from the solidcoin irc/forums, not people i would join.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
CoinHunter

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:42:00 AM

Ahimoth has every reason in the world to help spread the FUD and hurt Litecoin.

Ahimoth is the one who made the statement he can post a video of it, so I'm calling him out on it.

Yeah the king of liars crapcoinpress is calling out someone who everyone else would say is honest and decent. Get the popcorn folks because he's about to pop another vein. Fire up the geforce2 mx army Danny boy.

CoinHunter

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:44:23 AM

lol, i've gone from not caring about to outright disliking solidcoin, mostly due to the loudmouth idiots that support it, and the trolls that attack btc-e chat from the solidcoin irc/forums, not people i would join.

Yeah I've seen your "well reasoned" chats on BTC-e. They go something like this "someone said blah so I believe them". Nice work there. The solidcoin community is going to need to take a while to recover from the news that someone of your caliber will not be joining us. With all your wisdom and experience it's a sad day for our little community! Wink

CoinHunter

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 06:55:22 AM

Yeah I've seen your "well reasoned" chats on BTC-e. They go something like this "someone said blah so I believe them". Nice work there. The solidcoin community is going to need to take a while to recover from the news that someone of your caliber will not be joining us. With all your wisdom and experience it's a sad day for our little community! Wink

Please continue on your Bipolar defeatist rants.....

This is the spokesman, the founder of Solidcoin. This is what you expect any reputable business to want to do business with.

You have been successfully manipulated by BCX, I'm laughing my ass off at you Coinhunter.

Please continue LOL.... Grin Grin Grin

Thanks for playing the part in spreading the message of SolidCoin. No publicity is bad publicity remember Tongue You've been manipulated by coinhunter into caring.

CoinHunter

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 06:59:37 AM

The only publicity brought forward is that Solidcoin is controlled by a Bipolar wannabe.

Publicity is publicity. It's thanks to people like you that have helped propel SC into the #2 cryptocurrency. Thanks again, keep caring, we appreciate it.

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:06:14 AM

Anyone can explain me why i am getting this error when using on litecoin?

2012-02-17 22:01:10 Error 6 getting work. See http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libc
url-errors.html for error code explanations.
2012-02-17 22:01:10 Couldn't connect to server. Trying again in a few seconds...

I tried website mentioned, but cant find.
I used reaper 12 from http://wiki.solidcoin.info/wiki/Reaper
Bump.....

I will be happy if coinhunter or ahimoth help me to solve it.
CoinHunter

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 07:08:31 AM

Bump.....

I will be happy if coinhunter or ahimoth help me to solve it.

Reaper v12 doesn't support litecoin. Apparently v13 will.

MCWey8

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

[ Poor Miner ]

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 08:18:47 AM

What is known is that the original thread claiming artforz and coblee were GPU mining was a FUD campaign.

What we are hearing now is that mtrlt is GPU mining and will not release code without compensation.

Why would CH want to let us all know this ? Why would CH tell us that the developer for their miner is taking advantage of other crypto currencies ?

Doesn't this show that taking advantage of people and open source projects is what they stand for ?

Or can they really believe that hurting others will highlight their coins "greatness" ?

I am a noob. I am not an expert. But thanks to this LTC fiasco, Solidcoin looks foolish, greedy and the farthest thing anyone would want from a OPEN currency. 

drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 08:30:28 AM

You seem twice as smart as the trolls that support you, which says a lot I think. You're little community has my best wishes lol.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: